Martin Gansten wrote:
Konrad wrote:As for testing for relocation or not, I suppose it all depends on whether you recast a new chart (as Abu Ma'shar did,and seems to be the first who did), or treat the revolution positions as transits to the nativity as the earlier Persians did.
That, and also whether you use a sidereal year (like M?sh??all?h's Book of Aristotle does) or a tropical one. But although I know that Ben Dykes gives it as his opinon that the Persians prior to Ab? Ma?shar didn't cast full-scale revolution charts, I'm not entirely convinced that that's true. We know they did calculate the actual ascendant for the moment of the revolution, and it seems a bit counter-intuitive to suppose that they did not then go on to consider the planets at the time in relation to that. Even if they didn't calculate any other angles or cusps, that would still be a (whole-sign) figure of the revolution.
I get that, it isn't a great leap. However, I'm just not seeing it in the sources we have though I accept they are paltry in number and in depth. Masha'allah doesn't mention places counted from the East of the Year until his consideration of the Lots (which is 7 of 9). For the other considerations, he talks only of the natal root.
http://www.esmaraldaastrology.wordpress.com

Konrad wrote:
As for testing for relocation or not, I suppose it all depends on whether you recast a new chart (as Abu Ma'shar did,and seems to be the first who did), or treat the revolution positions as transits to the nativity as the earlier Persians did. The angles of the East of the Year (as Dykes translates it) still have some significance, but I would always pay more attention to the natal angles and the houses derived from the natal ascending sign when talking about where and what each configuration is doing. As far as I understand it, the revolution is an intensification or a remission of certain natal configurations, so the nativity is king. From my experience, the houses counted from the sign of the profected ASC are far more telling than those counted from the East of the Year anyway.
Well put. In practical terms I would agree with all of that. I have seen many examples where using the return as an effective transit chart was more accurate in reflecting the year than as a stand alone chart. I would only add that the annual position of the profected sect light by WSH can be equally as revealing as the profected ASC.

Mark
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly