Which planet(s) do you link with hair loss?

I am looking at somebody's chart to try to see if there are indications that their hair loss could spontaneously stop, or even grow back.

I read that male pattern hair loss is the meeting of three things, genetics (from the father?), testosterone, and aging.

I would have thought that hair loss would have the same astrological indicator as any kind of aging or other problems with growth, ie Jupiter. Sorry, all my empirical research shows that it is definitely Jupiter, not Saturn, involved here, though it could be more complicated. Jupiter also is implicated with problems with teeth, not Saturn.

Obviously the testosterone bit is Mars. With a possibility of Venus. I haven't tested this, this is just using astrological tradition.

The person whose chart I am looking at has a lot of transits to Jupiter coming up in the near future, and has also over the past year had transiting Uranus conjunct his natal Jupiter. He has been using a caffeine shampoo and thinks his hair is a lot better, far less falling out. He is young, has good hair, and can still disguise things easily. At this stage, nothing that a good hairdresser can't disguise.

I am a bit scared he might try to use something that could actually harm him.

Hi Fleur,

Male pattern hair loss is caused by three things: genes, hormones, and age. Roughly one-third of the male population starts to lose hair by the age of 45. By the time retirement rolls around, nearly all men have some degree of hair loss.

Men with male pattern baldness genes inherit hair follicles that are oversensitive to the male hormone dihydrotestosterone (DHT). When testosterone is converted into DHT, it shrinks the hair follicles, resulting in shorter and finer hair until, eventually, hair growth stops altogether.
The role of testosterone in premature balding has led to the myth that going bald is a sign of virility. However, men with male pattern baldness aren't any more well-endowed with testosterone than other men. Their hair follicles are simply more sensitive to the hormones.

I think its fair to say that the genetics of MPB are not yet fully understood. Most likely there are multiple genes that contribute towards MPB, the most important of which appears to be the Androgen Receptor gene, located on the X chromosome (inherited from the mother). It was previously believed that baldness was inherited from the maternal grandfather. While there is some basis for this belief, it is now known that both parents can contribute to their offspring's likelihood of hair loss.

In my own case I started go bald in my early 20s. There was no history of baldness on my Father's side. Indeed he still has a full head of hair at 90 years old! But there were definitely examples of similar early baldness amongst my maternal grandfather and cousins. The trigger in my case was a period of extreme stress while I was in University which caused excessive itichyness of the scalp and and overheating at night. I think I had an allergy to a particular shampoo. I was prescribed cold tar and selenium based shampoos. These alleviated the symptoms but also seemed to trigger my baldness.

Your Jupiter theory is interesting. It certainly fits in my case. I have Jupiter exactly on the ASC in Taurus ( in the Egyptian bound of Jupiter). Jupiter is also trine my ASC ruler Venus.

Mark
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

Well, lucky you, Mark. Never mind the science. Us girls recognize that male baldness is related to high testosterone levels. (The only thing we can't abide is a bad comb-over, let alone a toupe'.) Sir Patrick Stewart lost his hair as a young man, and he is still really manly in his 70s.

Fleur, I've been married to a bald man for nearly 20 years. Thinking baldness is some kind of problem is a bad trip to lay on a man's natural ageing process. Just make sure your guy's scalp stays healthy and encourage him to keep his hair super-short. It's a lot more flattering than a comb-over. Anyone can see through a comb-over in a minute, and it just makes a man appear insecure about his looks.

So much of male pattern baldness is genetic, not astrological. It is more common in some ethnic groups than in others. I can't dispute that Jupiter might be involved, though. Something about a high forehead.