Lord of the Year According to Morin

I decided to make this a separate thread about determining the Lord of the Year in the Aries Ingress according to Morinus. Morin?s method of delineating the Aries Ingress as explained in Book 25 of Astrologia Gallica, Holden translation. As much as I enjoy his astrology, Jean Baptiste deVillefranche (1583-1656) is a windbag and after devoting several hours to what should be a simple task, I am still not 100% sure I have it all right. Morin stresses the importance of the proper selection of the Lord of the Year in the various mundane charts or ?constitutions? as he would call them. Improper selection, he argues, means inaccurate predictions. He includes in these ?constitutions? charts for eclipses, lunations, planetary returns and other things and the rules vary slightly according to the particular chart we?re working with. I omit everything that I can that does not pertain to the annual Aries Ingress. I?m also omitting his explaining then rejecting arguments of Cardan and Ptolemy that he explains in some depth. If anyone wants all that stuff, and it is interesting, you need to buy the book.

Although I was inspired to make this effort because of the posts on the US Presidential elections, let me state right off the bat that I am not making a prediction of a winner of that election now or maybe ever. My track record is so awful that I?m afraid I would entice people to learn whom I pick and then bet the other way. A shrewd strategy that might well pay off. I prefer astrology to gambling.

A couple of general points about Ingress charts. The chart must be cast for a particular place and predictions are for the area that place represents. We do not cast Ingress charts for London to determine the outcome of a US election. Not all ingress charts cast for the same year will necessarily have the same chart rulers. If we want to know what is going on in the US in general, we use Washington DC, but if we want to know what is going to happen in San Jose, California, we cast the chart for San Jose, and limit our observations to that locale. If we want to try to determine the outcome of the upcoming UK referendum, we pick London. More on this below. For now remember only that one chart does not fit all.

Book 25, Part 1 chapter 9 page 65 Holden Translation AFA
Background stuff we should do every time.
1. Note the principle point. The principal point in an Aries Ingress is the Sun at 0 Aries. Note Morin states explicitly that the principal point is a planet. We need only concern ourselves with the Sun at 0 Aries for this post.
2. Note the angles and consider them the rising (ASC), vigor (MC) decline (DSC) and death (IC) of the events of the year. Of the angles the ASC is most important, followed by the MC. The ASC gives the essence of the effects emanating from the chart.
3. Note the angle following (in the order of the signs) the principal point. Morin gives some complicated instructions as to how this might change if the planet in the principal point is Rx or conjunct an RX planet. The Sun can?t go Rx and there are no conjunctions with Rx planets this year, so we stick with the simple instruction.
4. He tells us to consider the nature of the planet and the sign it occupies in the principal point, but again in an Aries Ingress chart that is always the Sun in Aries, so keep the Solar nature in mind, but don?t dwell on it. He says to note the celestial state and terrestrial state of the planet involved and its ruler. More on that below.
5. The chart is only valid for the locale (or in the case of a capital the general nature of things to expect in that state). This is why the angles are so important. Again more below.
On page 68 he further elaborates by informing the reader what Cardan and Ptolemy have to say on this subject. Then he disagrees with it (I told you he was a windbag). I?m skipping that part for brevity?s sake. Since in an Aries Ingress Chart the Sun is always at 0 Aries, and exalted, we just have to keep that in mind. However the celestial state can vary somewhat from year to year. Celestial state includes, conjunctions or aspects and the condition of the ruler, which are variable, as well as the sign the ruler occupies. Terrestrial state has to do with the house placement. Do the planets in question have an analogy with the house they are placed in? Is the house angular, succedent or cadent? What else is in the house? Who rules the house?
Our first definition of the ruler is the planet exerting the most influence over the primary point, or under certain conditions, the angle following the primary point (in the order of the signs) or preceding it (against the signs). And angle would be preferred only if the planet is in the sign of the angle but separating from the degree. This might be impossible for the Sun at zero Aries and does not affect the charts under discussion.

Let?s look at the Aries Ingress for Washington DC
March 20, 2016
0:30:09 AM
38 N 53? 42?
77 W 02? 12?
2 Sagittarius 54 rises

I used Regiomontanus cusps because Morin did.

The Sun?s nature in Aries we?re familiar with. There are two, maybe 3 aspects to other planets, a trine to Mars in Sagittarius, conjunct the ASC, an out of sign conjunction to Mercury at 26 Pisces (OK per Morin), and a very wide conjunction to Venus at 9 Pisces 35. In Book 15 of AG Part 1 Chapter 1 Page 10, Morin gives the Sun a moiety of 18 degrees and Venus a moiety of 13 degrees for a total of a whopping 31 degrees. Not too many of us would use anything this wide, but something interesting happens in a different chart later on,, so let?s consider Venus as well.

Look at Mars first as he always rules the principal point, in the Aries Ingress. He is in aspect to the Sun and, in Morin?s system, he is the triplicity ruler of the Sun in the Ingress chart. He is angular and conjunct the ASC. Using Morin?s orbs, Saturn is also connected to the Sun by trine, but Saturn is pushed out of the running pretty easily as that is the only connection and he isn?t particularly strong in fire signs. Of the potential planets under consideration, Mars is the strongest and makes the strongest connection and is ruler of the year. Mercury rules the following angle, is conjunct the Sun, but weak in Pisces, and must be given a secondary role. Venus is a much wider conjunction, she is exalted, but cadent. Saturn is angular, but his celestial state is weak.

So it?s a Mars year, strife, violence, confrontation, etc. If Mars were in the 7th house of war, a war would be indicated, but not in the first, at least I don?t think so.

To me Mercury is about voting. Voting after all, is a choice. Mercury can only be in Aquarius, Pisces, or Aries when the Sun is at 0 Aries. It seems fitting in this election year, that it is neither fixed (favoring incumbents) nor cardinal, aka changeable, (favoring the out of power party).

Venus is more difficult in this chart. By the ?rules? she should be favored over Mercury since she is exalted and he is in detriment and fall. She is also Mercury?s exaltation ruler. She like Mercury, is oriental of the Sun. Morin gives no credence at all to combustion, but she would be visible as a morning star. If it weren?t for the wide orbs, I would be willing to give her co-rulership of the year. I don?t know if Morin would or not.

However let?s take a look at the Aries Ingress cast for San Jose, California. On June 2 at a rally for candidate Donald Trump, violence broke out after the rally ended involving Trump supporters and ?protesters.?

9:30:09 PM PDT
San Jose, CA
31 N 20? 07?
121 W 53? 38?
27 Libra rises

Mars still is Lord of the Year as he is in the same aspect, has the same dignities at 0 Aries and rules the following angle 7th of conflict. But in this chart Venus rules the ASC and that is where things emanate from in this area. Venus in Pisces is not normally associated with violence, but (and Morin would be aghast at this) as the morning star she is the warrior princess and in this chart that is exaggerated by exaltation. Venus is square Mars in the ingress chart and using Morin?s orbs, square Saturn as well.

On June 2 Transiting Venus squared the Aries ingress Venus and opposed Aries Ingress ruler Mars from the 8th house. To my knowledge no one died from their injuries, but Venus in exaltation could have prevented deaths.
Last edited by Tom on Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hi tom,

thanks for your post on this.. i haven't read book 25 but am interested as this is a topic i seem to gravitate towards...
does morin say anything about a mutable verses a fixed or cardinal sign rising in the aries ingress? all the old astrologers make this an important consideration in terms of the duration of the use of this aries ingress chart...

i did a post on eclipse charts to washington dc which i think is also an important consideration that has to be taken into consideration too, in terms of astro influences on the location..
http://skyscript.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9061

does morin say anything about a mutable verses a fixed or cardinal sign rising in the aries ingress?
I don't recall anything, but I'll look. I'm going away for the weekend, so I might not respond until Sunday or Monday.

Hi Tom,

Thanks for going to the trouble of putting all this up. Very interesting.

I have inserted the Aries Ingress charts you are discussing above in your post for ease of reference.

Mark
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

I know we are trying to understand Morin's approach here but I cant help making the observation that in the San Jose Ingress chart ASC two dignities are held by malefics. In particular Saturn (exaltation ruler), and Mars (bound ruler). The actual degree of the ASC is in the monomoiria of the Sun emphasing the Aries Sun itself.
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

I've been away and couldn't get back to this as quickly as I wanted to.

James:

does morin say anything about a mutable verses a fixed or cardinal sign rising in the aries ingress? all the old astrologers make this an important consideration in terms of the duration of the use of this aries ingress chart...
I couldn't find anything and the second part of your question explains why. Morin has a rule about the duration of the Aries Ingress, it governs the year and the subsequent ingress charts are subordinate to it. He also says the essence of the effects emanate from the ASC. He doesn't generalize with fire earth air or water. However he does generalize with the Lord of the year. Here is what he says about Mars as Lord of the year
Mars having obtained the sole rulership, is generally the cause of corruption on account of dryness. And when the events pertai to men it will stir up wars, internal seditions, captivities, the fal of cities, tumult among the people, the anger of Princes, and sudden murders on account of those causes. Moreover it will also cause tertian fevers, eruptions of blood, acute illnesses, violent illnesses, deaths of young people, violence, injuries, fires, homicides, looting, armed robberies, , And in the air it will cause hot spells, winds that re hot, pestilential and withering, bolts of lightning, whirlwinds, droughts.
Recent events bear out some of this.

Further on he says
:
Add to these, since Mars is intensely hot and dry, if it is in a fire sign, in the summer [???] and in a hotter climate, it will harm more seriously ...
Obviously Mars cannot be the ruler of the year in the Aries Ingress chart in the summer. I'm not sure if this is carelessness (he is careless at times) or if he is referring to general rulership of a particular chart and not just the Aries Ingress. The Chapter heading says "Ruler of the Year," and that implies the Aries Ingress.

Mark

I know we are trying to understand Morin's approach here but I cant help making the observation that in the San Jose Ingress chart ASC two dignities are held by malefics. In particular Saturn (exaltation ruler), and Mars (bound ruler). The actual degree of the ASC is in the monomoiria of the Sun emphasizing the Aries Sun itself

At the time I wrote the initial post, San Jose was in the future. Morin somewhat famously rejected the bounds altogether as Arab fantasies, incorrectly believing they were of Arab origin. However that probably wasn't the reason for his rejection. He rejected the idea that the bounds occurred in nature and therefore were of no value.

I do note that the San Jose chart has a bunch of planets including the Sun in the 5th house of "taverns and ale houses" according to Lilly. The massacre took place at a night club.

Mars might be the ruler of this chart, as well as the DC chart. I haven't worked this out fully. Mars, in addition to ruling the Aries point, rules the "following angle," the DSC is succedent and the only angular planet in this chart is the Moon, which claims no authority over 0 Aries or any angle.

Mars is on the MC of the Cancer Ingress when cast for Philadelphia, PA, the site of the Democrat National Convention this summer. This might be worth looking at.

While the incidents in San Jose created some political drama they obviously dont compare in national significance to the recent tragic shootings in Orlando Florida. The worst mass shooting in modern American history.

I expected the local ingress chart to pinpoint this tragedy and it did not disappoint. Note how close the angular Mars moves to the ASC with an Aries ingress chart located for Orlando, Florida.
Mark
Last edited by Mark on Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thanks for your reply tom.. as i understand it the astrologers previous to him didn't peg the other ingress charts to the centrality of the aries one... that is interesting if he is saying this..

mark - good idea running the ingress chart to orlando..thanks..

I got my San Jose and Orlando charts mixed up. It was San Jose that had the planets in the 5th not Orlando. My apologies.

I think San Jose was very significant for our purposes, but certainly doesn't rise to the horror of Orlando. Heckling, carrying signs mouthing banalities through megaphones are nothing new in American politics; physically attacking people (without provocation) walking out of the rally is new and chilling, as they say. But I was working on San Jose before the attack in Orlando and didn't really sort out things as I could have, hence the mistake mentioned above. Both events are Mars types and Mars is the Lord of the year under discussion.

The significance of Orlando is what is happening after the event with the politicization of it. In that respect it is of greater significance than San Jose. Both incidents are Mars, though

thanks for your reply tom.. as i understand it the astrologers previous to him didn't peg the other ingress charts to the centrality of the aries one... that is interesting if he is saying this..
He is definitely on a different page from other astrologers on this one. On the other hand in book 25 he goes into a lot of detail on other charts that should be used to make accurate mundane predictions. It gets complex, and obviously I can't get it all down here. For instance, he refers to the other Ingress charts as transits to the Aries Ingress and when they are delineated it is important to take into consideration the new moon prior to that Ingress. Then, elsewhere, he gives a bunch of rules for delineating the lunations.

So what we're looking at is an entire system for mundane prediction that is interconnected, and not a group of unrelated techniques. I'm sticking to the Ingress charts and the Lord of the year. It isn't possible to do much more than that in this kind of setting. Morin spends a lot of ink describing the ideas of other astrologers and "refuting" them. I'd prefer to stay away from that, too.

thanks for the additional comments tom.. i agree with you and morin that it is about more then just ingress charts.. i made a post on eclipse charts set to washington earlier in the year on the mundane forum here.. i actually articulated the many different charts that one needs to look at in another post here on the mundane forum which for this year would also include the mars/saturn conjunction charts too.. in fact, the jupiter/saturn conjunction charts are also central to this conversation as well.. see my june 2nd post on this thread for more - http://skyscript.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8923

i have been busy reading music books - the soloist - and a few new orleans jazz history type books, but i am going to get morins book 25 and see just what he is saying.. thanks for mentioning this..

i have 2 charts for nato - april 4 1949 - 452pm - washington dc and nato 2 - august 24 1949 - 1142am, also set to washington.. seems to me nato has been on a real war path and has pushed hard with a war exercise in europe on russias doorstep... does this fit with the aries ingress chart with mars rising 2016? i think it does.. unfortunately the cancer and libra ingress charts don't look any more positive to my eyes with the eclipse charts for the fall lining up with the mars/saturn conjunction.. lord of the year as mars 2016 is fitting..