Fleur,

Using 9th House for the father makes sense only in indian sidereal astrology. Simply because in Indian culture, the father prepare his children (and espacially his boys) to meet his future Guru. Which means the father is his child's first Guru. Otherwise, the mother is symbolized by the 4th House. Hence, the 10th House is also used for the father. But I don't remember, by now, if it's in North or South India. Hope that helps ;-)

Best regards,
Fran?ois
Regards,
François CARRIÈRE

Honestly, for Natal I tend to use the Fourth for the parents in general and use the lots and natural rulers to pick up on the specifics for each parent. The Tenth House/mother connection didn't really come about until the later Arabic era (not a word about it in Abu Ali or Masha'allah). Also, Ibn Ezra lists two interesting and obscure variations - one that 4th is the father by day and the mother by night, the other that the gender of the sign on the fourth determines which parent it describes (implicitly the tenth would be the other parent). He also cites a Pseudo-Ptolemy who used the 4th for the mother and the 10th for the father, which is otherwise a modern astrology thing.

I can say nothing about Chiron, but I do suggest checking the Lot of the Father to see if it or its lord is in the 9th.

Re: Ninth house representing the Father?

Fleur wrote:Does the Ninth House signify the Father?

I had never heard that before, but in my case it makes a lot of sense.

If so, what would Chiron in the Ninth House indicate?
As Francois said- this is in Indian astrology- mainly from South Indian texts- father taken as preceptor and a part of the 1-5-9 axis (father-self-child). There is no Chiron in those texts.

Fleur, I've not heard of the 9th house as indicating the father, but you might play around with your chart a bit to see why you think that. What is the ruler of your 9th house and how is it situated? Was Dad particularly involved in 9th house activities like overseas travel, higher education, theology, or philosophy? If so, what is Jupiter up to? The sun in a day chart and Saturn in a night chart are other father indicators.