John Worsdale Family tree

In hunting for something else related to Worsdale, I found this page. I can't seem to copy it correctly so that it could be read in this forum - probably a technical deficiency on my part. So I'm posting the link.

The link is from a genealogy site apparently in the UK. The people providing the information are not astrologers and seem to have no clue who "our" John Worsdale is. But if anyone is interested in his background this might help.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=78266.0

I was interested to see the year of Worsdale's death given as 1828, but as far as I can tell there was no new evidence behind it. To quote a footnote from my own paper on Worsdale and Oxley:
Worsdale?s year of death is given in the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography as 1828 or after, and by Patrick Curry in Prophecy and power: astrology in early modern England (Cambridge: Polity), p. 132, as ?c. 1828?, presumably based on the year of publication of Worsdale?s last work. However, Ellic Howe in Astrology: A recent history including the untold story of its role in World War II (New York: Walker), p. 27, states: ?Celestial Philosophy, or Genethliacal Astronomy [?] was published two years after his death. (It was seen through the press by his son John, who appears to have succeeded to his astrological practice at Lincoln. His decease was not announced, probably to avoid the loss of clients.)?
https://astrology.martingansten.com/

This morning someone posted the following info:
Nearest Burial I can find is;
JOHN Worsdale, 15 Jan 1826, St Nicholas, Spanby, Lincolnshire
Age 59 (birth c 1767)
Abode Lincoln
(Source FreeREG)

Also on the 1799 Marriage of John Worsdale/Mary Wright he is described as a Yeoman.
(FreeREG)
And on the 1813 Baptism of their Daug Frances he is a Farmer
(FreeREG)
I've seen 1828, but the above seems to settle it. I think Kim Farnell went looking for this information years ago, and found something, but I don't recall what it was.
Last edited by Tom on Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

On page 469 of Celestial Philosophy there is a note regarding computation and it is "signed" John Worsdale, Lincoln. This page follows the tables of oblique ascension. The Ascella edition omitted the tables and also this page. I have an original edition of CP.

The note is dated October 11 1828. Given the above information this must be John II. So how much of CP did he write? I suspect most if not all of it, but that is only a suspicion and cannot be documented as far as I know.

John Worsdale is mentioned in several places as being one of the "cunning folk" of Lincolnshire. This was before the word "cunning" acquired its present day pejorative meaning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cunning_folk_in_Britain

Scroll down to the "Christian Elements" section where he is mentioned, although it might refer to his son.

Putting "cunning folk of lincolnshire john worsdale" in a Google search finds two other links with books written which refer to John Worsdale.

Lincoln is 30 miles from where I live and in his "Celestial Philosophy" Worsdale gives his address as being close to Lincoln cathedral. I would like to think there is a plaque to his memory there but I very much doubt it !