Can assassinations be prevented? by Elsbeth Ebertin
translated by Jenn Zahrt PhD
A Guide to Interpreting The Great American Eclipse
by Wade Caves
The Astrology of Depression
by Judith Hill
Understanding the mean conjunctions of the Jupiter-Saturn cycle
by Benjamin Dykes
Understanding the zodiac: and why there really ARE 12 signs of the zodiac, not 13
by Deborah Houlding

Skyscript Astrology Forum

Gaurijataka and dasha system

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Martin Gansten

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Gaurijataka and dasha system Reply with quote

A colleague has requested my help with a manuscript of an Indian horoscope (exact provenance currently unknown) cast for a native born in the mid-19th century. It's a longish thing, a scroll measuring seven metres, and contains a number of calculations, including daśā periods. The latter are not Viṃśottarī but are said to be based on a text called Gaurījātaka, in the form of a dialogue between Śiva and Pārvatī, and somehow related to svarodaya-śāstra (divination based on breath). The periods are assigned to the seven planets plus Rāhu (no Ketu). At present I haven't looked deeper than that. Has anyone heard of this text? I confess it's new to me.
pankajdubey

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Gaurijataka and dasha system Reply with quote

Martin Gansten wrote:
A colleague has requested my help with a manuscript of an Indian horoscope (exact provenance currently unknown) cast for a native born in the mid-19th century. It's a longish thing, a scroll measuring seven metres, and contains a number of calculations, including daśā periods. The latter are not Viṃśottarī but are said to be based on a text called Gaurījātaka, in the form of a dialogue between Śiva and Pārvatī, and somehow related to svarodaya-śāstra (divination based on breath). The periods are assigned to the seven planets plus Rāhu (no Ketu). At present I haven't looked deeper than that. Has anyone heard of this text? I confess it's new to me.

I had heard of Swara in horary astrology but this was new.The book does indeed exist:

http://dla.library.upenn.edu/dla/medren/pageturn.html?id=MEDREN_6972533&doubleside=0&rotation=0&currentpage=2

Monier-Williams p370 lists this as a -Noun for a work
गौरीजातक

Quote:
(H3) गौरी--जातक [p= 370,2] [L=68340]

http://www.sanskrit-lexicon.uni-koeln.de/cgi-bin/monier/serveimg.pl?file=/scans/MWScan/MWScanjpg/mw0370-gaurakRSNa.jpg

A book of same name was published by Khemraj:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:oXwfSZXJGosJ:www.exoticindiaart.com/book/details/gauri-jatak-NZB084/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=in
Martin Gansten

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Gaurijataka and dasha system Reply with quote

Thanks very much, Pankaj! I didn't doubt the existence of the text, but couldn't find much information about it. Some googling of my own also revealed a few published editions and translations, as well as a reference to gaurījātaka-nakṣatrāyurdāya or 'longevity calculation based on asterisms according to Gaurījātaka'. But the manuscript link you provided (apparently to one chapter of the text, on ariṣṭa or misfortune/fatality) may be the most useful finding so far. Thanks again!
pankajdubey

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Gaurijataka and dasha system Reply with quote

Martin Gansten wrote:
Thanks very much, Pankaj! I didn't doubt the existence of the text, but couldn't find much information about it. Some googling of my own also revealed a few published editions and translations, as well as a reference to gaurījātaka-nakṣatrāyurdāya or 'longevity calculation based on asterisms according to Gaurījātaka'. But the manuscript link you provided (apparently to one chapter of the text, on ariṣṭa or misfortune/fatality) may be the most useful finding so far. Thanks again!

Got the Gauri jataka from Venkateshwar pres ( Rs 10) but it only deals with effect of planets in various houses from moon.Seems to be accurate enough but does not contain effects of Ketu( only Rahu is listed that too not for 2nd and 8th).
No Dasa effects or longevity.

dharmakarmasute dharme candrācca patitastamḥ ।
janmakāle nṛpaścaiva vṛddhakāle mahādhanī ॥

ṣaṣṭhe ca dvādaśe rāhuścandrācca patito yadi ।
rājarājasya mantrī syāddhandhānyasamākulaḥ ॥

धर्मकर्मसुते धर्मे चन्द्राच्च पतितस्तम्ः ।
जन्मकाले नृपश्चैव वृद्धकाले महाधनी ॥

षष्ठे च द्वादशे राहुश्चन्द्राच्च पतितो यदि ।
राजराजस्य मन्त्री स्याद्धन्धान्यसमाकुलः ॥
Martin Gansten

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Gaurijataka and dasha system Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing this information, Pankaj. I suppose there must be another work with the same title, or else a section of the same work not included in the Venkateshwar Press edition.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Indian and Asian astrology All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: