Thanks for the link James, interesting if not conclusive.

If I look at my own SR for this year, it puts SR MC and Asc in almost exact opposition to natal Moon and Venus resp. when I use place of birth. Nothing significant concerning the pivots in the one using place of residence.

tom,

that is interesting - setting up the chart for where abu was located, although how much of that would be due the fact that people didn't move around to the degree they do today? i am thinking it would have been less common..

pankajdubey and yukionna

we have an advantage in that it sounds as though we all live a good distance from our place of birth.. i think all one can really do is watch, or study the past to help get a better insight into which solar return might work better.. as i think i said initially - i will look at both but tend to favour the local chart over the relocated one for solar returns...

that is interesting - setting up the chart for where abu was located, although how much of that would be due the fact that people didn't move around to the degree they do today? i am thinking it would have been less common..
Since only the well-to-do could avail themselves of Abu Mashar, chances are they were nobility and didn't move. Longitude was a problem in the 9th century, so I'm guessing he used the best he had available. But remember, this is just a guess.