Monomoiria-The lost essential dignity?

Hi,

I have just come across this interesting article by Ema Kurent on the Monomoria. These were the the different planets linked to each degree of the zodiac by hellenistic astrologers. They seem to have been used by the hellenistic astrologers as a supplement to the usual 5 essential dignities. The article shows the Monomoiria in practice in relation to famous nativities.

http://www.geocities.com/arsenicobr/monomoiria.doc

I had noticed these in Dorian Greenbaum's translation of Paulus but the article really helps to flesh out the practical use of the Monomoiria.

Hi MarkC,

I have something that might be of interest.
The sources are: some comments made by a later commentator to Paulus found in Marcianus gr. 335 fo. 176r, cap. 237, and Parisinus gr. 2424 fo. 87v-88r, cap.148. (translator of these fragments, Giuseppe Bezza).

The second fragment suggests that the monomoiria are useful because can modify different relations between signs. this imply for example that monomoiria can mitigate the aversion of signs. even the second fragment instructs us to corroborate this chapter with chapter 8, 9 and 10.
In the end of the fragment the commentator mentions that the table of monomoiria is worthwhile only for applying aspects of planets, for the separating aspects being useless.

I have to add that my above post reffers only to monomoiria calculated according to the first system (, the first degree of each sign is ruled by the sign ruler while the other planets ie. ?degree rulers? follow in the descending Chaldean order).

Hi Sasha,

Thanks for that. I haven't checked this out but I seem to recall there is reference to the Monomoiria in Firmicus too?
The sources are: some comments made by a later commentator to Paulus found in Marcianus gr. 335 fo. 176r, cap. 237, and Parisinus gr. 2424 fo. 87v-88r, cap.148. (translator of these fragments, Giuseppe Bezza).
Is this translated into Italian oe English? Where is this translation published?
In the end of the fragment the commentator mentions that the table of monomoiria is worthwhile only for applying aspects of planets, for the separating aspects being useless.
That being the case I am tempted to have a look at this for horary as well as natal charts.

Is this translated into English or Italian? Where is this translation published?
The original text is in Greek and can be found in the above mentioned manuscripts collections.
What I have is an Italian translation, and yes, the translator is Giuseppe Bezza.
I didn't quote from the Italian text, I was just resuming the contents of the second fragment.
The two Italian translations can be found on a CD called Antologia del pensiero astrologico antico, on Cielo e terra site

Unfortunately I do not understand Italian. :(

Still, I am sure other members will benefit from this.

Can I ask have you any experience of using this in practical astrology? If so what results have you got from it?

If my memory serves me right, I remember that monomoiria can be used also for rectify a chart (but I have to make some research work to see the astrologer that used monomoiria for this topic), but I think in this case we must calculate them according to the second system.

Can I ask have you any experience of using this in practical astrology? If so what results have you got from it?
Sincerely, no.
In fact, like you, I wonder what was the exact use of these monomoiria. The second fragment that I mentioned earlier doesn't mention explicitly the mitigating effect, but I think this is the logical conclusion of the commentator remarks about the table of monomoiria

sasha_i wrote:
Is this translated into English or Italian? Where is this translation published?
The two Italian translations can be found on a CD called Antologia del pensiero astrologico antico, on Cielo e terra site
If you are mentioning Oliompiodoro comment to Paulus Alexandrinus, it could be found even in "Introduzione all'astrologia" , Mimesis, year 2000, Bezza's Italian translation of Paulus work.

If you are mentioning Oliompiodoro comment to Paulus Alexandrinus, it could be found even in "Introduzione all'astrologia" , Mimesis, year 2000, Bezza's Italian translation of Paulus work.
This is available in English too. See: ''Late Classical Astrology: Paulus Alexandrinus & Olympiodorus'', translated by Dorian Gieseler Greenbaum (Arhat publications)

The Monomoiria are laid out in an easy to follow table form in her translation.

MarkC wrote:

This is available in English too. See: ''Late Classical Astrology: Paulus Alexandrinus & Olympiodorus'', translated by Dorian Gieseler Greenbaum (Arhat publications)

The Monomoiria are laid out in an easy to follow table form in her translation.
You see you have a lot of things in English too :P