Does retrograde Mercury cause permanent harm?

I still don't really understand the way transits of the inner, personal planets modulate outer planet transits.

Or specifically what retrograde Mercury does.

There was a recent Mercury retrograde, which aspected my natal Jupiter. It seems to have had various upsetting effects, even though as far as I can tell there are no bad outer planet transits to my natal Jupiter for it to trigger. Perhaps the most minor effect was that whilst transiting Mercury was retrograde on my natal Jupiter I entered a load of online competitions, mostly that didn't need any skill at all. As Mercury stationed, the station aspecting my Jupiter, and then went direct, as well as the disappointment of not winning anything, my inbox is deluged with junk advertising mail from the competitions, and later on with a bit of luck I will be able to unsubscribe one by one from all this junk mail. I don't usually waste my time with online competitions, as years ago I remember all I got was unsolicited telephone calls and when I asked how they got my telephone number they said because I had entered an online competition. I never won anything, wasted my time when I should have been doing something that mattered, and got unwanted telephone calls. I suppose this is very retrograde Mercury transiting Jupiter.

That wasn't the worst effect. Though because 29 degrees Sagittarius forms an antiscion with 1 degree Capricorn, this Mercury retrograde hit twice, and so did it again when it went direct.

I was hoping things would sort themselves out when Mercury went direct, but they haven't.

I am wondering why the simple transit of an inner planet can be so upsetting, and unhealing, when there is no difficult outer planet transit for it to trigger?

I am half aware of longstanding issues that could be behind how traumatic I have experienced this transit, even getting dreams that show these.

Hi Fleur: Very interesting. Would you mind posting your birth data, or PM it to me. I would love to look at this from a Jyotish perspective and throw in my "two cents worth."
Best Regards,
D.