george campbell's (famous linguist) chart interpretation

http://www.astro.com/astro-databank/Campbell,_George
Something I have noticed about many charts is that sometimes the chart seems to perfectly fit what we know about the person, but other times the chart seems completely off. I would say that this is one of those charts that doesnt really seem to fit what is known about the person. At least not when it comes to what this person was most known for.
Scottish polyglot and a linguist at the BBC for many years, author of the Compendium of the World's Languages (Routledge, 2000), as well as Handbook of Scripts and Alphabets (Routledge, 1997). He was listed in the Guinness Book of World Records during the 1980s as one of the world's greatest living linguists, could speak and write fluently in at least 44 languages and had a working knowledge of perhaps 20 others.
So apparently this guy was an extreme linguist, but I can't seem to find anything in the chart that really pops out and screams that this guy is a linguist. On the contrary, I would expect this guy to be maybe a famous artist or singer given his venus tightly conjuncting the midheaven. The only things that I can see that would really explain his career choice and linguistic proficiency are the following:

*the tight T-square between mercury, jupiter and saturn (im not really a big fan of modern astrological complex aspect configurations though)
*mercury in virgo (but retrograde)
*mercury and mars are in the 11th house which is the joy of jupiter, theoretically I can see how this might contribute to some involvement with foreign matters
*his 7th house ruler venus is conjunct the MC. Traditionally speaking, I recall the 7th house symbolizing matters having to do with foreign countries, but im not really sure if it would apply in this context or not
*mercury square jupiter

That being said, I don't really find any of the above explanations that convincing. Also I noticed that his 3rd and 9th house are empty, which is kind of surprising. Perhaps the only thing which might possibly explain his prolificness with foreign language is his 9th house ruler moon tightly conjunct pluto, but again, I want to find a traditional explanation for his extreme language abilities as opposed to modern ones. So far I am drawing blanks, anybody else want to take a swing at this?

*edit: I just noticed that his mercury in virgo disposits his moon and saturn (both rulers of the 3rd and 9th houses respectively) and this mercury is retrograding applying to jupiter. From my point of view, and correct me if im wrong; jupiter applying to mercury would imbue mercury as well as the signs and the planets within those signs with an extra burst of jupiterian energy. Additionally mercury is closely scrutinizing the ascendant as well, which might influence his career choice. While this explanation is still not super satisfying, it is at least somewhat convincing. Still not the smoking gun I am looking for though.

hi skorpio87

thanks for the post and raising the astro questions you do... fwiw - this is the trad forum.. if you want wider commentary from other non trad perspectives the folks at skyscript like it posted in the general forum..

i will comment very fleetingly on it from a trad aspect...

part of fortune is in virgo in the 11th house... both mars - ruler of the chart and mercury are conjunction in the pof first house... saturn is in the pof 10th house.. saturn and mercury are in mutual reception. this really strengthens the bond between the 2 as i see it.. mercury has just gone stationary retro and is at the top of it's form here as well - as i see it... the verdict on stationary planets continues to be ambiguous in the astro community, but i see it as further strength of the mercury here.. mercury is very strong based off essential dignities as well.. saturn is in hayz.

any other astro comments i with hold due the forum you asked this question in.. welcome to skyscript!!

james_m wrote:hi skorpio87

thanks for the post and raising the astro questions you do... fwiw - this is the trad forum.. if you want wider commentary from other non trad perspectives the folks at skyscript like it posted in the general forum..

i will comment very fleetingly on it from a trad aspect...

part of fortune is in virgo in the 11th house... both mars - ruler of the chart and mercury are conjunction in the pof first house... saturn is in the pof 10th house.. saturn and mercury are in mutual reception. this really strengthens the bond between the 2 as i see it.. mercury has just gone stationary retro and is at the top of it's form here as well - as i see it... the verdict on stationary planets continues to be ambiguous in the astro community, but i see it as further strength of the mercury here.. mercury is very strong based off essential dignities as well.. saturn is in hayz.

any other astro comments i with hold due the forum you asked this question in.. welcome to skyscript!!
Thanks for your response james :) Yeah I forgot to emphasize in the beginning that I was looking for a primarily traditional analysis of his chart. Thanks for your take on it, I guess I was so fixated on the delineation of the natal chart itself that I overlooked the POF chart. Your POF interpretation is very solid btw and makes a lot more sense out of this chart. That being said, I still find it confusing that his MC conjunct venus aspect was completely overruled by the POF chart. I mean I am aware of how powerful the POF can be, but you would think that the natal venus conjunct MC aspect would at least have some influence at least on his reputation and career; yet apparently it did not; otherwise he would be known for it. Unless there is some more esoteric manifestation of venus conjunct MC than I am not aware of.

I expect that the partile Pluto-Moon conjunction disposed by Mercury has something to do with Cambell?s amazing ability, but I doubt that any astrologer would zero in on linguistics or any other specialty from that configuration. That said, there are some potent traditional reasons that point to linguistic or other verbal ability. Since sidereal remarks are forbidden on this forum, I have posted my remarks here:
http://skyscript.co.uk/forums/viewtopic ... 406#101406
http://www.snowcrest.net/sunrise/LostZodiac.htm

skorpio87,

i see venus and the sun around the midheaven, are in mutual reception via terms and triplicity and rulership and terms. i think the sun overshadows venus here for a number of reasons, but venus doesn't hurt! he certainly seems to have received a good deal of recognition either way..

regarding the moon/pluto partile conjunction that theresa points out - using midpoints - this duo is at the ascendant/midheaven midpoint - considered a very important midpoint by those who follow midpoints... this is one of the observations i didn't comment on in my initial post, but i agree with theresa on this conjunctions importance.. to each their own.. and finally - jupiter station was 6.9 days prior to the birth of this fellow.. jupiter has moved a total of 5 minutes from it's station.. this is another important feature of the chart that no one will be discussing - until now maybe, lol...

james_m wrote:skorpio87,

i see venus and the sun around the midheaven, are in mutual reception via terms and triplicity and rulership and terms. i think the sun overshadows venus here for a number of reasons, but venus doesn't hurt! he certainly seems to have received a good deal of recognition either way..

regarding the moon/pluto partile conjunction that theresa points out - using midpoints - this duo is at the ascendant/midheaven midpoint - considered a very important midpoint by those who follow midpoints... this is one of the observations i didn't comment on in my initial post, but i agree with theresa on this conjunctions importance.. to each their own.. and finally - jupiter station was 6.9 days prior to the birth of this fellow.. jupiter has moved a total of 5 minutes from it's station.. this is another important feature of the chart that no one will be discussing - until now maybe, lol...
I didnt realize that jupiter was stationing; I guess that would be extremely important wouldnt it. Especially since jupiter is so closely squaring mercury who disposits so many planets in the chart.

Regarding Jupiter (as I wrote on the sidereal forum):

The second house is the house of speech (Taurus is natural ruler of the throat). In Campbell?s birth chart Jupiter....is 12 minutes from exactitude on the equal 2nd house cusp, so the aspect to Mercury has increased importance as Mercury itself is less than a degree from the 11th house cusp.

One reason for considering equal cusps is that they reflect the degree on the ascendant. Every planet on an equal house cusp is related by trine aspect to one of the angles of the chart. This is perhaps a basis for the importance given to the trinal groups of houses by Morin and others. Then this reflects back to the ancient practice of assigning triplicity lords to the zodiac signs. There was no such assignment of planets to signs in square relationship to each other.
http://www.snowcrest.net/sunrise/LostZodiac.htm