Extra conditione Sun

Rob Hand in his booklet Night and Day: Planetary Sect in Astrology, introduces the term extra conditione to describe a planet that does not fulfil any of the three main conditions of being in sect (see p. 7 of the booklet).

So Saturn, a diurnal planet, is extra conditione if these conditions apply: being in a nocturnal chart in the hemisphere opposite the Sun in a nocturnal sign. An example would be Sun in Capricorn in the fourth house with Saturn in Cancer in the tenth. Saturn here would be a diurnal planet in a nocturnal chart in the nocturnal hemisphere in a nocturnal sign.

However, my question is this: can the Sun be extra conditione in the example chart given by Hand on p. 56. He describes Nixon's Capricorn Sun, on the cusp of the fifth, as extra conditione. It is certainly a diurnal planet in a nocturnal chart, by definition. It is also a diurnal planet in nocturnal sign. But is the Sun fulfilling at least one condition of sect by defining the diurnal hemisphere.

Hand says that in Nixon's chart the Sun in Capricorn on the cusp of the fifth is extra conditione - i.e. it doesn't fulfil any conditions of its diurnal sect. However, I wonder if the Sun can never actually be extra conditione because it will always fall in the diurnal hemisphere, even if it is below the horizon.

This question was raised during a presentation I gave to my local astrology group on Sunday. Any thoughts would be welcome.
"...the motions that are akin to the divine in us are the thoughts and revolutions of the universe."

Plato, Timaeus, 90.

It has been a while since that book came out and there has been more published since. I would say that the sect light defines whether it is night or day for the other planets to be considered in this light - if you will forgive the unintended pun so I would not define the Sun in this way today
Matthew Goulding

Thanks

Hi there - thanks for your reply. This is my conclusion too - that the Sun can never be extra conditione because it will always fall in its own diurnal hemisphere. Therefore it will always fulfil at least one of the sect conditions set by Hand.
"...the motions that are akin to the divine in us are the thoughts and revolutions of the universe."

Plato, Timaeus, 90.

Re: Thanks

astralwanderer wrote:Hi there - thanks for your reply. This is my conclusion too - that the Sun can never be extra conditione because it will always fall in its own diurnal hemisphere. Therefore it will always fulfil at least one of the sect conditions set by Hand.
I think the term is "ex conditione" in Latin, the ex meaning "without"? Maybe someone else can confirm this for me.
Curtis Manwaring
Zoidiasoft Technologies, LLC