What about that annoying POF square to Mars, and it being the hour of Mars?
Interestingly the fav, VIEUX LION ROUGE (Old Red Lion) won at Haydock on18th Feb 15.15 - 1st aspect was to Mars. In an interview after, his trainer described the horse as 'A Warrior'.

In the previous race, 3ed Dec 2016, 1st aspect quincunx Sun, conj, Sat, sextile mars - Old Red Lion. Won at 8/1.

The horse has won it's last two races on this track.

As for the square to Libra Jupiter - you'd have to back Thunder and Roses e/w. I probably won't be betting on this race though. If i do, i'll be looking for a Moon horse, or possibly The Last Samurai - for the same reasons that i backed him last year - Sun, L12.
Verum e

There are still 79 runners listed but the maximum number of runners allowed is 40, so nearly half the listed runners will withdraw or be balloted out. I am going to wait until Thursday when the actual runners will be known (baring last minute withdrawals).

At the moment I am looking at Jupiter, and so Thunder and Roses as an EW bet. Possibly more thoughts when we see the actual runners.

Is it really bothersome that MC is Contra Parallel Saturn, ruling the 5th?
Not necessarily. I would suggest that it has more to do with the tradition of the race that he broadcasters will bang on about at every opportunity.
Verum e

Mars Sq POF

-Definitly Red
-Vieux Lion Rouge
-The Last Samuri
-The Crafty Butcher

Jupiter Opp Sun

-More Of That
-Rogue Angel
-Thunder And Roses
-Saint Are
-Bless The Wings
-Lord Windermere
-Bishops Road

Saturn

-Blaklion
-Highland Lodge

Moon

-Measureofmydreams (Moon/Virgo would be 'poetry')
-Double Shuffle
-Lessons In Milan

Plus, there is loads more.

Waiting for some Yin intuition...
If it's not astronomically true, it's not astrologically true.

1) something extra for brainstorming

just a par: just "equal", which speaks a very careful&precise language to me (moon rising in virgo)

cause of causes: double phrase (moon in virgo) , philosophy (sun/jupiter),drilling down to the deep cause (pluto)

2)any other suggestion for a pluto horse?

In the names listed above, "last samuri" sounds quite plutonic to me; I also have "wounded warrior" for (mars,sun/pluto aspect)

3)Another important aspect I am thinking is the very tight venus/saturn square, both planets are angular and are retrograding (with saturn stationed days before the race). Saturn also rules POF

True. Or maybe it's saying Blaklion? Or, maybe that's the Pluto/Sun thing Hera suggested.
It's definitely about the nature of the race. For sure, the going's going to be hard/rocky in places.

Seriously though, i'm not a great fan of retro Jupiter in Libra - I've been keeping my eyes open for that and i've noticed very few, if any, Jupiter horses winning - and a square? First to fall, probably. The square to the Sun also puts me off a bit, but i do like the trine to the angular Moon. With the Moon so prominent in the chart, it might be a case of looking for the market movers...

Did anyone mention Perfect Candidate?
Verum e

hera wrote:

3)Another important aspect I am thinking is the very tight venus/saturn square, both planets are angular and are retrograding (with saturn stationed days before the race). Saturn also rules POF

It's tough - thought maybe they are both too far from the angles to matter, but who knows... :'

ModWasp wrote:
but i do like the trine to the angular Moon. With the Moon so prominent in the chart
-Silver Man
-Emperor's Choice (Mercury rules the MC)
-Lord Windermere (Mercury rules the MC / Lake Windermere)

We need a stage two filter...