It was reported as being about 6 pm Fleur.

I've had a look at his natal chart and frankly it's put me in one of my all too frequent sceptical of astrology moods.

I have striven to find accuracy, methodology and precision in astrology but sometimes, to me astrology is found wanting and seems to be a very blunt instrument indeed.

His chart shows to me very little indication of being that of a sadistic serial killer. None of the indications of being a psychopath with which I thought I was becoming familiar.
I can't blame it on an inaccurate or unknown birth time because it was a Scottish birth. It might still not be absolutely accurate but a few minutes either way wouldn't alter it imo.

His crimes are horrendous but you wouldn't know it from his chart. One or two things I might point out could apply to thousands of other people. Charles Carter seemed to have the same frustration when looking at Hitler's chart.

Quoting from his "The Zodiac and the Soul" :-

" He belonged to a race apart from ordinary individuals, to those men and women chosen , it would seem to work out some cosmic purpose beyond our ken and sometimes involving the cruellest sufferings in its unfoldment".

That "cosmic purpose" in my view is an amoral one and astrology is but a symbolic reflection of a universal amoral consciousness.

Vicki wrote:
I've had a look at his natal chart and frankly it's put me in one of my all too frequent skeptical of astrology moods...

I have striven to find accuracy, methodology and precision in astrology but sometimes, to me astrology is found wanting and seems to be a very blunt instrument indeed.

His chart shows to me very little indication of being that of a sadistic serial killer. None of the indications of being a psychopath with which I thought I was becoming familiar.
The natal chart by itself can indeed be a blunt instrument with only vague suggestions of the soul of a person, a skeleton with numerous missing parts. There are several reasons for this as I?ve found in a lifetime of studying astrology. First, no matter what various books say, there is no way the soul can be seen in a natal chart. Secondly, the natal chart more often than not reflects life circumstances and actions rather than deep psychology and hidden motivations.

Third, astrology is much deeper and more detailed than the natal chart alone indicates. This is why auxiliary methods of reading a chart have come into existence over the years: the many varga (divisional) charts of India?s astrology, midpoints, asteroids, additional power points or ?planets,? etc. In Ian Brady?s case, the navamsa chart gives strong clues to his life and destiny, and reflects what we might expect to see in the chart of a sadistic murderer.
Brady?s natal sidereal ascendant is Aries, so Mars is his ascendant lord in a T-square with the nodes. Various textbooks may give some unpleasant characteristics for that combination, but it?s a general combination which many thousands share with Brady. In the navamsa chart it?s Mars receiving the opposition of Saturn-Pluto and both squaring the Moon in Scorpio which suggests Brady?s psychological darkness. Mars falls in the navamsa 5th, and the murders were of young people.

If we cross the navamsa with the natal chart, there are suggestions of a demented psychology. But we don?t have the spiritual perception to interpret these planetary conjunctions except in hindsight:
Navamsa Mercury and Venus are in the degree of natal Pluto (Krishnamurti ayanamsa).

Navamsa Saturn and Pluto are near the 5th (equal) cusp, navamsa Moon in the 8th, Mars opposing Saturn-Pluto and squaring the Moon. (The navamsa T-square falls in the natal 8th-5th-11th natal houses.)

It?s significant that navamsa Pluto (with Saturn) is partile conjunct natal Neptune with only a four minute orb in the 5th house. But still, how to interpret that conjunction? Only a gifted psychic might see the potential expression as the murder of young people.

All of us are only students of astrology, and in the study of charts we can only grasp bits and pieces of an astrological puzzle that often eludes our perception and understanding. We can be the most precise with timing, but that doesn?t tell us exactly how transiting planetary conjunctions and aspects or directions will manifest in real life.
http://www.snowcrest.net/sunrise/LostZodiac.htm

In his natal chart, Mars' antiscion is 21 degrees Libra 05 minutes, which squares his Moon. Mars antiscion is also 45 degree semisquare to his Moons Nodes. Mercury, Venus and Chiron play into this pattern.

At the time of his murders, this aspect pattern was being heavily transited. Such as by transiting Pluto in 9 degrees Virgo (antiscion 21 degrees Aries).

I think there is plenty in the natal chart to explain what he did. Why is another matter, and I struggle to begin to understand what was happening with his soul.
Last edited by fleur on Sat May 20, 2017 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

From Wikipedia, "Their first victim was 16-year-old Pauline Reade, a neighbour of Hindley's who disappeared on her way to a dance at the British Railways Club in Gorton, Manchester, on 12 July 1963" There are strong transits to Ian Brady's natal Moon conjunct Mars' antiscion.

It is very difficult to know in all cases the difference between a murderer and non-murderer's chart, most people do not kill, not even psychopaths. I suspect Mercury might be involved as well as Venus and Mars, and as Jens says Mercury was significant in Brady's chart, conjunct Venus in Capricorn. I wonder if Mercury is about actually committing such an act, it is an odd kind of energy and I think of the trickster figure in the Crowley tarot card "The Magician". I am not so good on the signs' qualities, but I have seen loads of serial killers' charts with Saturn aspecting Venus, as well as the kinds of aspects I expect to find.

So yes there are all kinds of deeper questions unanswered.

Thanks Fleur for posting this. Very interesting and challenging chart. I finally had a bit of time to delve into it myself.

Therese: Thanks too, for the insightful post and delineation using the navamsa. I guess this post is mostly meant to share with you since we both use the sidereal zodiac. I practice Jyotish, or Hindu Astrology. I see that you at least incorporate some Hindu techniques in your approach. I really like to see how other astrologers approach and delineate a particular chart, especially a difficult one like Ian Brady?s. So, coming to that, I thought I would give it a crack from my side of the sidereal school, or Parashari system loosely after the manner of Varahamihira.

Fleur's post generated the theme of what indicated the depraved mental state of Ian Brady in his chart. Vicki was of the opinion it did not indicate a sadistic serial killer, hence your post to delineate it with a refining technique to flush out more detail.

Perhaps this is more suited to the sidereal forum, but the context of the astrology of what makes this chart that of a serial killer is here.

In like kind, my first thought in analysis was to focus on indications of criminal tendencies, mental and emotional health, but I thought taking a more general approach to delineation would be better since Vicki thought this chart did not paint a portrait of a serial killer.

It is a hindsight reading, and as such, would any of us given this child?s horoscope in infancy by new parents been able to tell them their son would become a serial killer? I doubt it. We might have seen the propensity towards a difficult, immoral and explosive emotional life and recommend that they should be on the lookout for troubled behavior, so they could intervene early with professional care if needed, but that is about all. As Fleur pointed out, most psychopaths do not become killers.

I use Lahiri ayanamsa and SriPati houses. To be clear, I do not use the modern planets as they are not Grahas, but that is to explain another day. It does not mean they do not have merit, just not in Parashari, strictly speaking.

I have also not read the biography, "Beyond Belief."

It?s a shame we do not have a reliable birth time for Myra Hindley.

Reading begins...
Ian Brady, Scottish serial killer. Over a two and half year period starting in 1963 with his girlfriend and accomplice, Myra Hindley, sadistically murdered six young people. Arrested in 1965 and both sentenced to life in prison for their crimes. Later, Ian Brady confessed to additional murders, but was committed after becoming increasingly unstable. (From Astro Databank, http://www.astro.com/astro-databank/Brady,_Ian)

Brady?s birth information from Astro Databank has a Rodden rating of AA.
Ian Brady has Aries rising with Mars well placed and strong in the eleventh house. Chart ruler Mars is in a inauspicious T-square with the Nodal axis falling across the second and eighth houses. All the planets in the chart are hemmed in by the debilitated malefic Moon?s Nodes. This signifies a very negative, even perverse use of his personal energy. Mars in the eleventh gives a reckless courage especially in pursuing desires.

Ascendant is Bharani is ruled by Yama, the Lord of Dharma, the God of Death. Its power is firstly to diminish and later it carries off. Therefore, Ian is one who passes from one state to another and his life can spiral into chaos. Bharani demands lots of control of the senses and since Saturn is debilitated here with Ian?s Saturn being weak in the twelfth house this causes the power to work and sustain seriously in doubt.

Weakened Saturn brings deficient income, diseased bones and nervous system. Trouble with authorities and imprisonment when Saturn is weak in the twelfth and the weak Sun. Rahu?s affliction to the twelfth house also may involve him in encounters with authorities or even jail time because of cheating or theft.

The Moon ruler of the fourth house of mental peace and mother is weak in late degrees in Sagittarius, debilitated in navamsa and combust. This obstructs education, loss of comforts and mental peace, trouble to mother or lack of mother?s affection. Jupiter, the Moon?s dispositor is very weak as it is debilitated and afflicted in the tenth house by Ketu.

Jupiter?s weakness affects all of the four planets in Ian?s ninth house. Of course what also jumps out is the sixth lord Mercury, ruler of disputes exactly conjunct and afflicting Venus. This would weaken the health, make Ian highly reckless and impulsive. One who negatively suddenly ignites emotionally, especially with Ketu afflicting the sixth house. No marital happiness and difficult or unusual partners. Mercury and Venus are both in Mula Nakshatra. This is very difficult energies as Mula is ruled by Nirriti, the Goddess of death so it is a place of profound change. Mula means 'root' and this is the place of the centre of the Galaxy and thus the greatest potential power source in our part of the universe and is usually associated with destructive behavior, especially with a weak Saturn, which Ian has in the twelfth house. The Sun is also weak causing digestive issues, anaemia, trouble to male progeny, involvement with authorities and difficulty with children.

Weak and afflicted Jupiter brings poor moral judgement, obstructions to father and prosperity.

The role the malefic Moon?s Nodes should not be ignored in this chart. The Nodes are in their signs of debilitation. Rahu ruler of manipulations exactly afflicts the eighth of death, twelfth house of losses and second house of status. Inflammatory and aberrant Ketu afflicts moral Jupiter, exactly conjoins the second house of family, the sixth house of disputes and the eighth house of deathlike situations. Jupiter is also the natural karaka of children.

Could go on but that?s a pretty good overview of the main parts of his chart.

Seeing the overall negative emotional and mental tendencies in this chart, to probe further, or look for verification I would consider again the mental capabilities, emotional and criminal predilection in the chart and the concerned vargas, or divisional charts. In Hindu Astrology, you can think of vargas as ?amplifying? a particular house or area of life and help greatly to prove the strength of planets for that particular area of life.

Once in awhile, you do come across a chart that promises good things, but the client is experiencing difficulty, this is where the divisional charts can be helpful. If anyone?s interested I would do that analysis for this chart.

Thanks for reading.

Best Regards,
~A.
Jyotish Visharad

Bibliography
Astrodatabank by Lois Rodden and Astrodienst AG Zollikon, Switzerland - Astro.com - Www.astro.com. "Brady, Ian." Ian Brady, Horoscope for Birth Date 2 January 1938, Born in Glasgow, with Astrodatabank Biography - Astro-Databank. Accessed May 21, 2017. http://www.astro.com/astro-databank/Brady,_Ian.