Should I study medicine?

Hello, all!

Question was: Should I go to med school and study medicine?
Can you help me delineate this chart?

What I can see:

Querent is Mercury, in the IX, of higher studies and university, but disposed by Venus and in Taurus, which are not frequent signs of medicine courses. Mercury is peregrine (no aspects to other planets), so a little debilitated.

The ruler of the IX itself, Venus, on its detriment, and in the malefic VIII. It aspects both malefics, so its situation is quite weak and critic (even though the aspects are benefic).

I tried to see the natural significator of medicine, but I don?t know which one to use. I though about Mercury, Mars and Jupiter. I decided to see Jupiter (special thanks for advices on this matter). Jupiter is retrograde, separating aspect with the Sun (not that important), which makes it almost peregrine.

So, overall, since all three planets are afflicted, they are not aspecting or receiving each other (specially no Mercury and Venus), my final answer was that no, the querent must not go to med school nor study medicine.

What do you think?

Thanks!
Yair Alon
Kabbalist

Hi Yair Alon,

Here's a list from various sources:

Apothecaries: Mars (Gadbury, Ramesey) also Scorpio
Medicine: 6H (Lilly)
Practice of Medicine: Moon (al-Biruni)
Pharmacists (by Lilly): Venus, Mars, Scorpio
Chemists: Mars, Sagittarius, Uranus, Pluto
Pharmacists and pharmacy: Virgo 6H. Also Neptune
Medical professions: Mercury, Virgo, 6H
Remedies/Treatments: Venus, Jupiter, 10H
Medicines, Medicine cabinets, etc. : Saturn, Neptune, Virgo, Scorpio

Hello, Part of Fortune!

Thanks for the list. It is extremely complete, but, at the same time, a little bit useless, because it lists all the planets as being related to medicine, medical professions or things like that, lol. There are mentions from the Moon up to Pluto.

I processed the list like this: medicine is not exactly apothecaries, nor pharmacists, nor chemists. Remedies, treatments and medicines is not exactly the case. I guess if it were a question on health issues.

So we remain with:

Medicine: 6H (Lilly)
Practice of Medicine: Moon (al-Biruni)
Medical professions: Mercury, Virgo, 6H

I understand that the sixth house and Mercury-Moon is of interest.

Mercury, as noted before, is the Querent, and doesn?t seem too connected to medicine in the chart.

The Moon, co-ruler, is in Scorpio (the list mentions Scorpio as apothecaries), but in fall. So another sign to "no".

And, finally, the sixth, ruled by Saturn (not much connected to medicine, even though the list says it is related to medicines), in the 3rd-4th, retrograde, on its term and face. This would be the better indication of a "yes do study medicine", but not a very convincing one.

So my guess is the chart still should be judged as a no.
Yair Alon
Kabbalist

This is a house 9 question. Mercury's position neatly confirms it.

When you ask "should" you must specify how that it measured for you. What is the meaning of "should"?

For example: will I become rich and famous by studying medicine and becoming a doctor? Or: Am I suited to medicine studies? Or: Will I like school? Etc.

You gave us no context whatsoever. Depending on the question a different technique may be required.

Nevertheless:

Does a part of you like Medicine studies?

Yes, Mercury is in Venus' sign in the 9th.

Does another part of you like Medicine studies?

No, the Moon is in Venus' detriment.

So you have an inner conflict. (Either that of you don't like not having money since the Moon is in house 2. I don't know, I'm throwing ideas for consideration since I do not have the context).

Now, suppose you asked: Am I suited to be surgeon? The Moon and Mars in positive mutual reception would be a positive testimony. But the Moon and Mars in their fall would be a negative. (Again, I'm throwing ideas for consideration.)

Back to Mercury and Venus:

Venus is in no dignity of Mercury so there is no particular suitability indicated (should that be part of the question. Maybe it is not, I don't know; I do not have the context).

Mercury is peregrine. Basically you are floating about trying to figure out what to do with your life but with no clear direction. That is descriptive, but to start university in that state is a debility. You want to start something by being strong and confident, ideally.

Mercury is on the star Algol which usually translates as: "what you are considering is not a good idea".

Mercury will soon leave Taurus and you will leave the idea of studying medicine behind. Mercury entering Gemini will give you the focus on yourself. It will be a good place to do some soul searching for what you really want to do. And watch out for inner conflicts because if you want to have a fulfilling career ideally you want to make the Moon happy as well as Mercury.
--
Felipe Oliveira
http://traditionalmedicalastrology.org
http://medicalastrologer.net

Hi Yair Alon ,

I was a bit confused by your questions. Since you did not mention the purpose of going to med school ?and? study medicine, I had to think whether querent wants to be:

1) Medical doctor as a career choice? I thought well . . . that?s possible because you?ve listed Mercury (MC) and Mars (H10) in your question.

2) Study medicine, to become a scientist/ chemist or a researcher to create some new medicines? . . . You?ve mentioned ?study medicine? and ?medicine courses?.

3) You?ve singled out Jupiter who is in your H1 and Jupiter is the lord of the H4 (end of the matter); as well being the natural ruler of H9:

Therefore I wondered is this about spiritualism and self enhancement? Does querent want to study medicine for medicine?s sake and help people with the acquired knowledge without taking a fee? There?s the Sun (H9) who is in its house of joy.

4) Venus as L9 and L2: So I was thinking there might be a financial issue? If so, the Moon is in H2 and it is via combusta, however, Spica and Arcturus are close to Cusp of H2, so there might be a bit of consolation for the querent.

5) According to Lilly, H6 is medicine. In this chart, Saturn happens to be the lord of the 6th but traditionally, Virgo belongs to that house. For me, it is interesting to see the querent has Virgo ascendant, Gemini MC and Mercury in 9th.

Since you were wondering about significator of medicine so I thought well, let?s list the possible choices taking the above to start with and see what comes after that.

So you see why I listed all medicine related rulerships with possible related professions from "Moon to Pluto" but you seem to have decided the answer already therefore there is nothing more for me to add to your inquiry. Good Luck.

More context

Hello, felipe and Part of Fortune!

I?ll try to give more context and be more explicit. Thanks for you answers (pretty accurate).

From what I see, this is, as Felipe said, a 9th-house question, not 10th.

The meaning of "should" here is: "should I stop everything I?m doing so far, including a profitable job and career, to go study medicine?"

There is no intention to work with that, only interest in learning the subject (which is almost impossible without going to the University per se).

So from the options Felipe gave, I think the question could be rephrased as: "Am I suited to medicine studies?"

There is a economic issue, very well delineated by Felipe (bravo!). There are free schools, but I don?t think I can be admitted via their exams. So there are the paid institutes, but way too expensive.

Why you looked at Venus for suitability, Felipe?

Part of Fortune, you noticed "Virgo ascendant, Gemini MC and Mercury in 9th". Now with the context, do you think this studying medicine something doable? Is this suited to me? I?m sorry if I gave the impression of not having anything to learn with you. This is certainly not the case. Please excuse me.

BEST
Yair Alon
Kabbalist

Re: More context

Hi Yair Alon,
Yair Alon wrote:Why you looked at Venus for suitability, Felipe?
Venus is the house 9 ruler.

In most cases house rulers take precedence over natural rulers. We would use natural rulers if we were comparing careers. For example: should I become a surgeon or an accountant? In that case we could compare Mars and Mercury, etc? But here we are concerned with your house 9.

Knowing a little more of the context I think this is a little more complex than simply a "suitability" question in the sense that we are not mainly measuring the suitability with the subject matter itself. Mercury is obviously interested; that could be suitability enough for medicine studies in most cases.

But there are other factors that point at the general unfavorable answer regarding the "suitability" of making such a drastic change in your life at this time. Notably: Mercury is ruled by the Moon by exaltation so, despite wanting Venus, Mercury will likely follow what the Moon decides.

Best,
--
Felipe Oliveira
http://traditionalmedicalastrology.org
http://medicalastrologer.net

Yair Alon,

Regarding higher learning, the fixed sign at the cusp of 9th and Venus is the dispositor of Jupiter (in H1) as well as Mercury's influence in your chart.

Together with Jupiter being the lord of the 4th (the end of matter), perhaps you may not go to med school this time but I do think you will somehow find the way to pursue your interest in medicine.

Best Wishes!

Thanks felipe and Part of Fortune!

I "forgot" about the Venus 9th ruler, and wasn?t looking at it. This is what I call a personal bias :-)

Thank you very very much for your help!

BEST
Yair Alon
Kabbalist

I "forgot" about the Venus 9th ruler, and wasn?t looking at it. This is what I call a personal bias :-)
I think Venus being in 8th indicates "anguish" about 9th house matter so I encourage you to channel yourself to use harmonious down to earth "practical" approach of Virgo (Asc) and Taurus (9th); slowly but surely you will reach your goal.

Good Luck.