Hello Petr
Thank you very much for this really excellent site and selection of applications. It's very generous to make them available. I've looked at the Traditional (with sidereal option) and the Sidereal/Vedic ones. The traditional one is the one that interests me most.
What I would find really helpful is a custom ayanamsa option in those programs. The easiest way to do this is that used by programs such as free Vedic program Jagannathatha Hora - provide the option to add or subtract an offset of x°y'z" from a chosen listed ayanamsa. That way, it's easy to tweak a listed ayanamsa to customise.
Some programs use a "define ayanamsa at given date" (e.g 1900 for Solar Fire, 2000 in Jyotish Tools mobile app, any custom date for Delphic Oracle - which also has an offset option in addition), but just the offset option alone seems to me the simplest way.
Do you think there would be any chance to do this? It should avoid you getting future requests for new ayanamsas to be added to the list...
Many thanks, again, anyway!
Graham

Graham F wrote:Hello Petr
Thank you very much for this really excellent site and selection of applications. It's very generous to make them available. I've looked at the Traditional (with sidereal option) and the Sidereal/Vedic ones. The traditional one is the one that interests me most.
What I would find really helpful is a custom ayanamsa option in those programs. The easiest way to do this is that used by programs such as free Vedic program Jagannathatha Hora - provide the option to add or subtract an offset of x°y'z" from a chosen listed ayanamsa. That way, it's easy to tweak a listed ayanamsa to customise.
Some programs use a "define ayanamsa at given date" (e.g 1900 for Solar Fire, 2000 in Jyotish Tools mobile app, any custom date for Delphic Oracle - which also has an offset option in addition), but just the offset option alone seems to me the simplest way.
Do you think there would be any chance to do this? It should avoid you getting future requests for new ayanamsas to be added to the list...
Many thanks, again, anyway!
Graham
Hello Graham,
thank you for your response.
I think that custom ayanamsa should be technically possible. I will try to add this option and let you know, when it's done.
Petr

Graham F wrote:Thanks Petr, that would be great if possible!
Graham
Hello Graham,
I just added an option to set custom Ayanamsa.

There are two possible ways in extended settings:
https://horoscopes.astro-seek.com/traditional-astrology

A) Ayanamsa of your own choice
- this option overrides other settings and set this Ayanamsa manually
(independently on the date of birth)

B) +-Offset from another Ayanamsa
- this option can be used to set slightly offset from another chosen listed Ayanamsa (Lahiri, Raman, KP, Fagan-Bradley etc...)

Can you please take a look if everything works correctly?

Petr wrote:
I just added an option to set custom Ayanamsa.
There are two possible ways in extended settings:
https://horoscopes.astro-seek.com/traditional-astrology
A) Ayanamsa of your own choice
- this option overrides other settings and set this Ayanamsa manually
(independently on the date of birth)
B) +-Offset from another Ayanamsa
- this option can be used to set slightly offset from another chosen listed Ayanamsa (Lahiri, Raman, KP, Fagan-Bradley etc...)
Can you please take a look if everything works correctly?
Petr, this is great! Both methods work, but I don't think in practice the "of your own choice" will be used much, because it will mean working out your own new and different ayanams for every new date of chart, calculating precession each time etc. It's good to have this option if someone wants to use unorthodox (or traditonal Indian "idealised") rates of precession.

But the offset option is perfect. This is first time I've been able to do an offset from a galactic equator option - I use -1°40 from the "GE at 5° Sg". This is what I've done in practice since 2005, placing GE in middle of of naksatra Mula ("the root"), i.e. at 6°40 Sg. I usually have to subtract about 30'15" from Lahiri, or about 24' I think from Krishnamurti, but as there's an old and a new Lahiri and two versions of KM in circulation, offsetting directly from a GE position is much neater.

It's good to see the GE/ecliptic intersection being included more as a sidereal anchor point, as John Addey suggested in Harmonics in Astrology in 1976. Ernst Wilhelm uses or has used this, also at 6°40 Sg and calls it "Ardra galactic plane" (see Swiss Eph site http://www.astro.com/swisseph/swisseph. ... c502931330 )
But Wilhelm was using a very slightly different calculaton for the ecliptic position of the galactic equator, I think, when I checked a few years ago. I had come up with the same (within < 1' arc) as you seem to be using for this, putting the GE on the winter solstice point (270° tropical) in late 1998. I think I got the figures first from a table published by Michael Erlewine which I can't now locate, but the figures are also buried in this interesting article on galactic structures by him (values for year 1950):
http://www.astrologysoftware.com/commun ... asp?ID=178
I'd be interested to know the source you used to pinpoint the ecliptic position of the GE - the Swiss Eph, which apparently has integrated the recent Chinese tweaking of the position?
Anyway, thanks again, this is a great feature!
Graham
Last edited by Graham F on Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Graham F wrote: Petr, this is great! Both methods work, but I don't think in practice the "of your own choice" will be used much, because it will mean working out your own new and different ayanams for every new date of chart, calculating precession each time etc. It's good to have this option if someone wants to use unorthodox (or traditonal Indian "idealised") rates of precession.

But the offset option is perfect. This is first time I've been able to do an offset from a galactic equator option - I use -1°40 from the "GE at 5° Sg". This is what I've done in practice since 2005, placing GE in middle of of naksatra Mula ("the root"), i.e. at 6°40 Sg. I usually have to subtract about 30'15" from Lahiri, or about 24' I think from Krishnamurti, but as there's an old and a new Lahiri and two versions of KM in circulation, offsetting directly from a GE position is much neater.

It's good to see the GE/ecliptic intersection being included more as a sidereal anchor point, as John Addey suggested in Harmonics in Astrology in 1976. Ernst Wilhelm uses or has used this, also at 6°40 Sg and calls it "Ardra galactic plane" (see Swiss Eph site http://www.astro.com/swisseph/swisseph. ... c502931330 )
But Wilhelm was using a very slightly different calculaton for the ecliptic position of the galactic equator, I think, when I checked a few years ago. I had come up with the same (within < 1' arc) as you seem to be using for this, putting the GE on the winter solstice point (270° tropical) in late 1998. I think I got the figures first from a table published by Michael Erlewine which I can't now locate, but the figures are also buried in this interesting article on galactic structures by him (values for year 2000, I think):
http://www.astrologysoftware.com/commun ... asp?ID=178
I'd be interested to know the source you used to pinpoint the ecliptic position of the GE - the Swiss Eph, which apparently has integrated the recent Chinese tweaking of the position?
Anyway, thanks again, this is a great feature!
Graham
Hello Graham,
thank you for your feedback.

It was my first thoughts, that offset from Galactic Equator at 5° Sg could be probably the most practical option (I have seen several tables reffering to offset from this GE 5°Sg ayanamsa); but I don't work with sidereal much, so I didn't know which option should I give a priority.
I just re-arranged the order of custom ayanamsas :)
1) offset from GE 5° Sag;
2) offset from other listed ayanamsas;
3) "of your own choice" (maybe someone will use it for some kind of unorthodox research one day);
Graham F wrote: I'd be interested to know the source you used to pinpoint the ecliptic position of the GE
I actually didn't find any exact equation formula for GE at 5°Sg :???:, so I'm using a "roundbaout":
- Raman ayanamsa equation formula (book by Dev Bhattacharyya) + correction by nutation + offset -02°35'35"