Slot-machine astrology & 'love horaries'

Hi
On the web Horary astrology forums are prone to being overrun by 'love horaries'.

There are genuine needs buried underneath them, but they're typically posted by people who are preoccupied with 'love' and 'soul-mates' and former lovers and future lovers and imagined lovers.

They often run hand-in-hand with references to other forms of divination, typically at the level of 'fortune-telling'.

Horary can be a force for good in our lives. It can even help people heal. But this isn't it. They're worlds apart.

There are a lot of them on this board lately. It's time to speak up.

Doing endless 'love horaries' is a distraction, a diversion, an avoidance. Oh it's up to you how you spend your life, it's up to you how you use and misuse divination, and yep no doubt you'll continue on the path you're on.

But I've seen people here spend time explaining carefully and sensitively and with loving kindness to try to get through to you. Time for some blunter truth - No amount of prefacing your 'love horaries' with 'I'm just wanting to learn how horary works' is fooling anyone. You're out to get your 'love horary' done for free and you want to use astrology to manipulate in your life, not to help what's really wrong.

This forum's user rules say that it's meant for serious students, but it's going the way of other horary sites because the kindness of people has meant that the 'love horaries' people have been given the benefit of the doubt... again and again and again.

Where does it stop? Or are the requests for slot machine astrology, mostly 'love horaries', going to be endless on this site going forward?

If you are a genuine student of astrology, here's a challenge to you, based on the advice of all the best horary astrologers:
  • ~ Study other people's charts, not your own. Other people here should not be taken to mean all the other people posting their 'love horaries' ;-) Nor does it mean doing 'love horaries' for your friends.

~ If you must do your own horary charts, do them sparingly and on problems where there is good reason to believe you have a chance of being objective in your reading.

~ Avoid asking when you are consumed by a sense of loss or in a state of pining, or caught up in confusion. Better to consult a professional astrologer or non-astrology expert at those times, or at least call on a damn good friend who will help you move on and who will discourage you from doing a 'love horary'.

~ Avoid asking when you are just engaging in wish fulfilment.
MW

PS Shoot the messenger if you want, but it would be better for everyone if you dealt with the message
"As thou daily conversest with the heavens, so instruct and form thy minde according to the image of Divinity" ~ William Lilly

Thought-provoking post, mwastrology!

I don't have a problem with love horaries per se. But my understanding of horary in general is that the querent doesn't get to ask the same question twice, by any method of divination. Unfortunately, it becomes too tempting for querents to slice 'n' dice essentially the same question in different ways, hoping for the answer they want, by wording the question differently. Or to try to work the one chart every which way they can, hoping they can force it to reveal the answer they want.

Generally, loneliness is a normal enough human emotion. Most people want to give and receive love of a couples nature. There's nothing wrong with that, but the trouble is when unhappy singles become so fixated on finding someone that they stop considering how to be the best and happiest single they can be in the present moment. A deeply unhappy single can project an awful lot of need onto an ordinary love interest who didn't sign on for coping with what is essentially a big self-esteem issue.

A variant of this problem is with someone who is in a relationship that doesn't fit her pictures. Then the horary chart can become a sort of ammunition to prove why she's right and he's wrong.

Most of us have no training in psychology or marriage counseling, so it becomes desirable to stick to the ground rules of horary, while dispensing a certain amount of friendly or "kitchen table" advice when the thread warrants.

Thanks Waybread. Your post is thought-provoking and spot-on too.

I should clarify for some readers out there that by saying 'love horaries' I didn't mean all horary questions about relationships. 'Love horaries' means the (stereo)typical ones with certain characteristics. Horary questions about relationships are in a totally different category as far as I'm concerned.

Most of us have done 'love horaries' for ourselves....we're human!! Most of us have had moments when we asked about a past love or a prospect of a future one. But it's not really good horary practice and it's not really good for practising horary.

The thread pinned to the top of this horary forum has a handy collection of material in it for practising, for seeing how techniques work in practice. There's no need to do our own 'love horaries', we can learn horary without them, and sure enough, other than that the best thing new students can do is study the textbooks and skyscript's free tutorials....boring answer, but true!

MW
"As thou daily conversest with the heavens, so instruct and form thy minde according to the image of Divinity" ~ William Lilly

Breeze wrote:MW,

Is this message for me ?
Not especially, Breeze. It's a general discussion point about divination, horary and this forum.

I wrote a message for you in your thread about the accuracy of your prediction.

MW

Still MW, I have things I wanna say...

In your first message, you say "it is to fool to say doing love horaries to learn horary work". As it was me who said so in my thread, I am in doubt that if it is me who you imply. If so, I wld like to take my chance to say that "fooling" is NEVER my intention.

As a newly forum member, I wish all messages were in a softer tone. I really find it quite harsh/ and heartbreaking when I read things like " damn friend " or " where the .... is he " sort of things...

Anyhow....

I really want to find out the reason when outcome does not match with the answer or whenever I am not clear about something. Going forward, I hope some members will be helping me with further analyzes regardless if it is a love or another chart. By exchanging thoughts, I believe, we,beginners, will improve better.

Wishing you the best.
Breeze

Breeze, to me the bigger issue is the entire context of asking a horary question. Insofar far as I understand the foundations of horary, I believe the question has to be highly significant to the querent. As in, a burning issue. Obviously, a burning issue to the querent can seem minor to someone else, but the question really has to mean something to her.

I do agree with mwastrology, that there are better ways to learn horary than by repeatedly asking one's own less-than-compelling questions. Other querents post here, and there are a lot of horary questions posted at Astrodienst and Astrologers' Community forums. Many questions to choose from in order to hone your skills.

Most of the astrology that I do is modern western interpretation of natal charts and their derivatives. This branch is specifically intended to give each of us self-awareness when we read our own charts. Horary astrology seems to have a different goal, which is providing very specific answers to targeted questions.

Waybread, the bigger issue for me is the tone when members relate to each other in this forum. This is 2nd time I found myself in a NOT polite communication where I was kept responsible for the things I never intented.

We, forum members, do not know each other so that there is no way we cld. Know the motivation/ reason behind the questions as long as the querent do not tell us and/ or we do not ask him/ her.

So, it is not understandable at my end how some member can insist on that some other member is asking the same question in different ways or how one can insist on proving that the other member is a liar by bringing back other member's quotes or how some member can say other member in a hursh tone to see a professional astrologer without knowing if he/she shd has already seen a one or how one can tell other how to improve her/ his horary knowladge or " life skills" without knowing what that other party is doing to improve his/ her knowladge or "life skills" etc., or how one can say that these love horaries are related to " self esteem " without knowing what other party has done in his/ her life or what decisions he/ she has been going through or how one member can tell some other member what to post and what not to post. We are just members in a forum. In my point of view everyone is free to share any chart ( as long as no ethical issues etc. ) and it is up to other members to predict or NOT to predict that chart.

No member here has any right to scould any other member for his/ her charts as if that other party is his/ her dog that is peeing on the carpet.

What kind of a dialogue is " damn friend " or " where the ... is he or " man catch " ?

Think waybread, what kind of conversation we wld have if I related with you and MV in the same manner with yours or if I ever said to you and MW " who do you think you are to tell me these " when you had been rude enough to me . How does that sound ? How wld. you feel ?

Does it worth to put me or some other member in such an embrassing sititutation by implying me or some other as a liar and insisting on that person is fooling others and forcing other party to make endless explanations to you ? Does it worth to break a heart ? Does that "slotting machine love horaries" worth to that ?

Going forward, I do not want you or MW to tell me what I shd be posting, as it is none of your business.

You two, before telling people what chart to post , may be, should be thinking of how you ever have the right to jump over me or some other members. Think , if did you ever say things/ behaved in a way which you shd be sorry for.

I do not want to be going with that conversation any more as I do not like this fashion of relation. I like relating with mature adults in a mature way.
Breeze

Breeze, if natal astrology means anything, whether traditional or modern, it is that people's styles of communicating differ. What seems like ordinary straight talk to a sun-Mercury-moon Aries may seem needlessly harsh to a sensitive sun-Mercury-moon Pisces. But Mr. Aries may find Ms. Fish's communication style to be irritating if it needlessly softens and sugar-coat plain truths.

In reading a natal chart, we can see these distinctions and peg our communication style to the "ear" of the native. It would take a far better horary astrologer than I am to pick up these nuances in a horary chart, however.

The zodiac aside, there are also cultural differences in what constitutes an appropriate communication style. We can't often pick these up from a simple post.

There is also a level at which it becomes kind of controlling to try to dictate on an open Internet forum the tone of voice in which another person should post in order to be completely acceptable to someone else.

The rules of horary are a different matter. I can post references on the problem of multiple posts on what is essentially the same question, if you wish. We could debate the rules of horary, but I don't see the point in your scolding me for thinking that I was scolding you, and so on, and so on.

If you are referring to my recent posts, Breeze, I specifically spoke in a general way, based upon multiple horary readings here and on two other forums. I did not single you out.

This forum has rules and moderators. I would encourage a member who believes that the rules have been breached to contact the board moderator and ask for some oversight.

As a moderator, as a forum originator, as a horary astrologer, and as a human being that has understood the complexities and confusions of love, I would like to say that I have read this thread - and agree with everyone who has posted above.

I think that relationship questions are one of the best ways to learn horary because just about any adult understands and has observations about personal emotions towards others and self; and in no other type of horary that is more apparent than in relationship questions.

"Relationships" is the easiest context to learn about receptions from, for the simple reason that receptions reflect emotions and attitudes in relationship charts. Understanding receptions allows us to clarify the complexities of love and become less confused.
--
Felipe Oliveira
http://traditionalmedicalastrology.org
http://medicalastrologer.net