Is there anyone out there still doing poetic astrology on the horses?

Also have any of you been following the all-weather results?

There doesn't seem to be large numbers of favourites coming in, also there are times when 3 or 4 favourites come in one after another. It suggests that there is an astrological favourites time period. Not got round to looking at this yet but thought I should ask if anyone else has noticed anything similar?
C'est la vie, say astrologers, goes to show you never can tell.

I am still a huge fan of the Addey method.

I am trying to get SFs and Tricasts... lol, ambitious!
Maybe be selective memory that recalls the victories...
I notice colours as well as name. It is an art and I do think that intuition comes into it... it's a meditation on the future. Mercury is a good indicator for a SF or tricast.

And when mercury is involved, there is a tendency for multiple - so 2 or more horses with same sire / trainer / owner / colours.

re: colours - if you look at the results, you may notice "colour groupings". All black/white/v. pale or all bright royal colours. I look at that and think - hmm, saturn or pluto... or, hmm, jupiter!

Back to your actual enquiry....
Dykes translation of the Works of Sahl and Masha'Allah p 165
What is the colour of the winnin beast also includes a method for determining if a horse of "good stock" will win.... i.e. a favourite or an outsider.
So again I look at the Sire - is it a "famous" horse - as well as the odds.
Sometimes there is a long odds horse with Presenting as the sire... : )

If only I could upload a photo... it's not worth buying the book for half a page! (sorry Ben!)

I also tend to use the Addey method.

Favourites do seem to cluster. I have not worked out what the causes are, but am still collecting data.

There is a clustering (for different reasons I think) of draws in football. There are days when draws are common, other days when everything is home or away. Again, needs more work.

I still practice horse racing astrology every day.

The daytime markets are just more accurate. When you avoid novice and maiden races, it's very rare that any horse priced higher than 10/1 wins. You generally get one daily long priced winner.

This makes the daytime selection process a lot easier for me. I am now going for horses that are priced between 3/1 to 7/1. No more favourites, even if the astrology supports them!

The evening all weather races are mainly class 5 & 6. Real low grade stuff. These days, I hardly bother with them.
If it's not astronomically true, it's not astrologically true.

Thanks all for replying.

Regarding Ben’s translation, I note his footnote considering that ‘colour’ may represent teams or clans. I have taken a different view and considered this chapter along with Al-Kindi’s commentary on horse racing. I assume horse racing would have involved the Arabian breed in Masha’Allah’s time, rather than Thoroughbreds. If you watch Arabian races, which occur in France, as I recall, you’ll see a much greater variety of horse colourings, compared to thoroughbreds.

Masha’Allah makes reference to the Lord of the Hour in picking winners. As you can see in the Rugby thread, it is something I use in attempting to decide which team will win a game. I’ve tried it with the horses but haven’t found it as reliable and there is the practical issue of seeing horses before they race.

I’m not sure if ‘good stock’ means favourite, it seems to read that the owner is to be considered. The phrase used is “the beast who wins will be of good stock and well known???. The next section, at the bottom of page 165 makes reference to owners.

It’s good to see Addey advocates out there.

We also use astrology on the horses each day, with the poetry being a background consideration only.
I’ll get around to looking at favourite clusters eventually. Helpfully Southwell had a cluster this week- first glance void of course Moon in detriment. (If only it was that easy!).

We also avoided the all-weather, but recently have taken the view that that it can be seen as a stand alone event over the winter months, which allows different things to be considered, which is where the favourite cluster was noted.

We agree also that the astrology does seem to work better on higher class races.
C'est la vie, say astrologers, goes to show you never can tell.

Is there anyone out there still doing poetic astrology on the horses?
I plan to use it more sparingly in 2018. So far, I have placed 69 bets, yielding W22, P19, L28. Not including the reverse forecast doubles and trebles that I like to indulge in from time to time.

I'm considering using the method less occasionally this coming flat season, because A) I'm focussing on goal timing for the World Cup B) I don't want to use my mojo up (I'm convinced that you get better results in racing and football the more selectively you use it) and C) Jupiter moves into Sag later in the year (Jupiter is the natural ruler of horses and philosophy for y'all who don't do rulerships n'all).
There doesn't seem to be large numbers of favourites coming in, also there are times when 3 or 4 favourites come in one after another. It suggests that there is an astrological favourites time period. Not got round to looking at this yet but thought I should ask if anyone else has noticed anything similar?
Yes. I've mentioned several times in the past that Moon Phase is quite important here. There's a post by Saturnhead over yonder that I will explain about how I think the moon works in relation to favourites winning or not with angles to the Sun.

And when mercury is involved, there is a tendency for multiple - so 2 or more horses with same sire / trainer / owner / colours.

re: colours - if you look at the results, you may notice "colour groupings". All black/white/v. pale or all bright royal colours. I look at that and think - hmm, saturn or pluto... or, hmm, jupiter!
I've had a look at the owners - radical 10th and the trainers radical 6th from event charts - rabbit holes both, I'm sure you'll agree, as is looking that the horses' parents - as either Mars or the Sun could indicate that Frankel was the sire, for example - the possibilities are endless. I like to keep it simple mostly, it's all about the winning angle for me.

Not sure about colours. But that is only to say that I believe that I have a stronger argument against them than I can think of having one for using them. I'm all ears but I'm yet to be convinced...
Favourites do seem to cluster. I have not worked out what the causes are, but am still collecting data.

There is a clustering (for different reasons I think) of draws in football. There are days when draws are common, other days when everything is home or away. Again, needs more work.
I believe that it is to do with Moon phase, again, Saturnhead has started a provocative thread to which an answer to this will be found, in due course.
The daytime markets are just more accurate. When you avoid novice and maiden races, it's very rare that any horse priced higher than 10/1 wins. You generally get one daily long priced winner.
Have to disagree here - only from experience and not from my current practice. I've found that novice and maiden races are probably the easiest races to apply The Method to. Again, probably something best left until Jupiter's Sag ingress to look at.
I assume horse racing would have involved the Arabian breed in Masha’Allah’s time, rather than Thoroughbreds. If you watch Arabian races, which occur in France, as I recall, you’ll see a much greater variety of horse colourings, compared to thoroughbreds.
A bit of a rabbit hole, that one.
We also use astrology on the horses each day, with the poetry being a background consideration only.
I always love these little digs.

For those of you not aware of this term - the origins of which date back to a post way over yonder where I proclaimed that the interpretation of astrology is closer to poetry than science because one translates metaphor. There you go.

:'

Nice to see some astrology discussion for change.
Last edited by ModWasp on Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Verum e

Evening Horse Racing doesn't work
I came to this conclusion a while ago - seems to me that using The Method when the 5th is in a sign of short ascension things get a bit trickier...
Verum e