Reception with Lord of 8

Hello:

If you cast a horary chart for a question that is not illness or death related but still find the querent's significator in mutual reception with the lord of 8, is there cause for concern?

Many thanks.

:)
The Moon is opposing Jupiter. Don't get involved, it's their problem. Jim Critchfield

It depends on the question. If it is a financial question, it could show mutual agreement between two parties regarding a loan or other financial investment.

The 8th doesn't just rule the house of death for the querent and even if the question were of death, sometimes the 8th ruler/house is not the only signification that can show harm (or lack of it) to the querent or an indication of their death. For example, the 4th house/ruler can be prominent in death charts, showing the end of life. The 8th is also a house of loss, pain and general mental anguish and affliction (including anxiety, worry, fears, feeling helpless or even being helpless, and in despair, etc.). It is also a house of debt and loss of money.

It can even just be describing a subject matter! If this is a job horary, I would not assume the job is going to kill someone but I might wonder if their job related to 8th house things, such as finance or even infectious diseases.

More often than not these are feelings the querent is going through. Even if it is about death, it can show that the querent is worrying about death (or an 8th house matter.) It depends on the context of the question and what the chart is saying.

Anytime the querent is afflicted it is cause for concern, whether it be via aspecting a ruler of a difficult house, in a difficult house and without any strength to overcome it, or whether a malefic influence in general is influencing the matter (such as an ill dignified malefic on an angle - it does not even have to aspect the querent, but all the worse). All of the houses in aversion to the ascendant (2nd, 6th, 8th and 12th) can be difficult influences because they don't "see" the ascendant and could potential work against the querent. That is why when the querent is in those houses it is generally difficult - it can show the querent is working against their best interests or is in a situation where they have little or no control over the matter. (although it can also relate to self-sacrificing situations as well).

However, the difficulty does not always mean psychical harm, and I am sure many of us rarely see that occur. Most of our charts do show some difficulty because such is the nature of life! Charts also serve a purpose to warn us about the difficulty in the question, which is, ideally, the purpose of asking a question (to help guide us). You should always be cautious about how you interpret potentially negative symbolism of a chart. This is not unlike a novice tarot reader who gets a Death card and assumes death, but again, the card has many meanings and the other cards (here planets) should give more information on how to interpret the symbolism.

In general, any house or planet that is afflicted is going to do less harm when the querent's ruler is stronger than the 8th ruler (or whatever afflictive ruler). For example, if the querent is Saturn and the Moon rules the 8th house, Saturn is by nature more superior and exerts more control over an outcome than the Moon (however, the Moon can take on the nature of other planets it aspects, so it depends). This would be more true if Saturn is also essentially and accidentally well placed. If the opposite were true, where if the querent were an inferior, such as the Moon, and the 8th ruler Saturn, then the energy of Saturn is much more oppressive and exerts more control.

I have rarely seen a chart indicating death where the querent's ruler was strong at all. The querent's ruler is generally already bad, such as being a retrograde inferior, afflicted by aspect or house, peregrine and/or in fall or detriment or conjunct a malefic fixed star.

Also, is the aspect separating or applying? That makes a huge difference in the question and even if the subject were death, if separating it could possibly show an escape from a close call with death. You also have to check for any mitigating factors, which is often the case in life as well (good and bad).

Great question and once more, great information !

Personally, 8th. House has always been a mystery for me. I have a chart of own about my job with 8th. House prominent . I find it difficult to predict and I do not see the chart hopeful at all. Now, I will try to predict it again according to what I have learned from Tanit.

Thanking you both ladies.

Cheers
Breeze

Hello Tanit:

Thank you very much for your comprehensive response!

Below is the chart, cast in exasperation, about a possible further development in this situation:

http://skyscript.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9423

I had been avoiding this gentleman but ran into him unexpectedly last week and he behaved as he always has, maybe even more so, and I wondered if anything had changed. As you can see, nothing has.

If you don’t mind, Tanit, I have another question, regarding the descriptions of people signified. In this chart, he is the Moon, which I think fits very well as a description of his personality as well as his job - he works on a ship (Lilly, CA, Page 81). However, physically he fits the description of Mercury much better (Lilly, CA, Page 78). How do you determine what somebody looks like from their significator? Do you combine the significator with whatever planets are aspecting? If so, how do you weight them?

Thanks again for your great response, I learned a lot from that.

Cheers.

The Moon is opposing Jupiter. Don't get involved, it's their problem. Jim Critchfield

I am not seeing the 8th house influence here for the querent, to be honest. It looks like the Moon (quesited) is leaving the 8th ruler and applying to Mercury, while Mercury next applies to Saturn. The Sun is prohibited from aspecting the 1st house ruler. The fact that the quesited is carrying the nature of the Sun to Mercury should be something to focus on, especially since Mercury then carries that light to Saturn. My guess is the quesited is dishonest in nature. The Sun tends to rule truth and it is debilitated and ruling the 8th in the 9th. Notice too how Mars and Venus are intercepted in the 8th and Mercury lords over them. I would interpret this as someone who is not to be trusted in romance. He may have lied in his communications to you somehow.

A significator in the 12th should be a question more so than the 8th here but from your PM I think I understand its meaning. Also, Mars separating from Saturn from the 8th, which I again think is related to what you told me in the PM, but it shows a separating influence and Saturn will enter Capricorn towards the end of the year so that should improve.

For a 7th house matter, the quesited is shown in his own house and in aversion to the querent, which usually shows lack of interest or intent. Mercury seems significant but if you are looking to describe the quesited then you would look not only at Cancer asc and Moon in Cancer but also the planet that most influences Moon, which is the Sun since the square aspect is the light it is carrying and the Moon is an inferior, colored by other planets it aspects, particularly the ones whose light it holds. A Libra Sun influence in the 9th might show someone who is charming, appear caring, possibly a foreigner or from a different background than yourself, good looking with maybe a light complexion such as blonde hair, maybe balding. He might have large eyes and lips, particulalry with the Moon influence. They can be arrogant and boastful, etc. when the Sun is debilitated, whether that is obvious or not. Lilly describes those with a cardinal sign rising and 1st ruler in a cardinal sign as someone who is the most changeful. They may change their appearance, their actions and their feelings and intentions all of the time.

In now seeing your other post, this also looks like a repeat question on this person. I would avoid that and go back to whatever original chart you cast. It gets confusing when you ask over and over. You may want to just seek a professional astrologer if you are not getting a clear answer and feel the need to keep asking.

Thanks very much Tanit.

This is a good lesson: I need to slow down and look at all the aspects before reaching a conclusion; I was looking at Mercury and Sun aspecting Saturn but not considering the Moon's role in translating light.

Regarding repeat questions: some astrologers have the idea that there is a time limit to the question or that the question can be re-asked if something in real life changes; you don't agree? I'm not challenging you, just trying to understand why some astrologers say that and others don't. As far as I can tell Lilly doesn't address it, Anthony Louis, I think, agrees with re-asking and Lee Lehman doesn't. So it would be nice to get to the bottom of that particular point of practice...maybe I should post a question.

The very first chart I cast is still indecipherable to me and I think it will remain that way. I don't feel it's worth it to go to a professional to have that read - if I want to know what's really going on, I'll just have to corner him in real life and ask him, lol.

Thanks again. :)

One more question:

If the lord of the Ascendant and the lord of eight are the same planet, how to interpret?

Thanks very much.

That is generally a negative indication, especially if it is a question about the 8th house. It shows the two energies are connected. In work horaries you may find the ruler of the ascendant and the 10th house ruler to be the same and that is positive and shows the two are in an agreement of sorts, but you don't want the ascendant ruler to be connected to the 8th. It could be the querent is even doing something in the question that is causing their own pain or bondage, for example. In a health horary, it might show poor health. It depends on the question, though.

This is similar in natal. Generally, someone who has the ascendant ruler and the 8th ruler connected is going to have a more difficult life or could possibly have an early death, for example.