I wouldn't take the Sun (or Moon)if it were in the 12th sign from the Asc because it'd be in aversion to it which can't be good for the Hyleg. Although I did learn that if the lights were within 5 degrees above the Asc they could act as Hyleg, but if you had an early ASC, that would put the Hyleg in the 12th. Don't think I would take it then either. Let's see what others have to say.
Last edited by Yukionna on Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Where a planet falls based on a given house system used is a common problem and where people will only disagree with one another, since we may use different methods (for example, I like Regiomontanus, which especially is something used in horary). I also move a planet into the next house if it is within 5 degrees of it, which is not something everyone does (and some use different degrees, such as 8 for angular and 3 for cadent = Bonatti's method). Some people use whole signs, some don't. There are also different methods to calculate the hyleg, so it depends on the system that you use.

If you are happy with Placidus, then you might want to stick with where the Sun is placed based on that system rather than opening a can of worms that lead you down a rabbit hole of contradictions.

To question whether a planet is in aversion to the ascendant based on sign rather than house is a very valid point, though, and I would question it as well for something like this especially.