Donald Trump's Candidacy

I'd like to preface this by noting that I am an astrologer, not a political analyst, and I have no particular preference for any candidate in the upcoming US presidential election.

That said, recently it occurred to me that it might be interesting to take a look at Donald Trump's chart, which turned out to be quite an understatement. His birth information was easy to find in Astrodatabank.

Trump was born at 10:54 am on June 14th, 1946 in Jamaica, Queens. The data is from his New York City birth certificate, and the city has a history of keeping such records accurately going back many generations. So the data is most likely is good.
One critical concept of astrology that seems to me to get lost sometimes is that the chart is essentially the blueprint of the individual's life, and that nothing will happen, no matter what the transits, etc. down the line, if it is not foretold in the natal chart.

Thus, to determine whether Trump might be elected President, my first step was to look at his natal chart and see if it supports that possibility. It does, in several ways.

First off, the degree of his rising sign is 29 Leo, the sign of leaders (and egomaniacs). The 29th degree of any sign is where its influence can be the most intense, so any such tendencies will be pronounced in his character.

Interestingly, at the time of his birth, 29 Leo was also the location of the powerful fixed star, Regulus, associated with power and success, particularly financial. People with Regulus rising usually get what they seek in life.

Trump has Mars conjunct his Ascendant at 26 Leo. People with Mars on the Ascendant often are star athletes, but in any case, they pour all their energy into going after their goals, and typically they reach them.

The ruler of Trump's chart is the Sun. Trump's is in his 10th house, another indicator of a leader, typically of countries. In traditional astrology, it is a placement seen in the charts of kings.

His Sun is in Gemini, indicative of someone who attains his leadership position by virtue of how he communicates.

His Sun tightly opposes his Moon, in 22 Gemini and 21 Sagittarius, respectively. Those with Sun-Moon oppositions in the birth chart are always chasing the brass ring. Often it eludes them, but there is so much else in this chart to suggest success, that I think what this shows is a person who is just not a quitter.

There are two placements of concern in his chart. The first is his Saturn, which is debilitated in Cancer. People with weak Saturns often have trouble with self-discipline. So I wasn't surprised at all to read that by his own admission, he was such a willful child that his parents reportedly shipped him off to military school at age 13 so that he could "learn discipline."

The second concern is the location of the mid-heaven in 24 Taurus, conjunct the fixed star Algol, considered to be the most evil star in the sky. It is traditionally associated with losing one's head, sometimes quite literally. Given that the 10th house represents his career, it may speak to a danger of assassination, should he be elected. Alternatively, it could mean that he may be at risk of losing his head in the sense of acting impulsively at a time when disciplined use of power is called for.

All things considered, his chart most definitely shows the possibility of him being elected president.

But I wanted to see if, indeed, that's in the cards, so I looked at his current solar return, his current progressed chart, his upcoming solar return, which will be in effect at the time of the convention and the election, and his progressed charts for the same times.

I did some googling and discovered that according to the New York Times, he was golfing just outside of Aberdeen, Scotland on his birthday last June.
That location gives him a solar return with Leo rising, just like in his natal chart. According to Morin, one or both of the birth angles repeat by sign in big years. Interestingly, his Solar Return Mars is tightly conjunct his Sun. These seem to be the two most important planets in his nativity, given that they are on the angles, and they are also connected in the natal chart because the Sun rules natal Mars. When I see something like this in a Solar Return, it suggests that whatever the natal blueprint says about these two planets may indeed be fulfilled in this Solar year. In this case, he's going after what he wants, the presidency.

Next I looked at his progressed chart.
His Sun, the planet that symbolizes his quest for the presidency in his natal chart, by now has progressed to 29 Leo. It is on his natal Ascendant, which it rules, and of course also on Regulus, that all-important fixed star of victory. There is more to say about his progressed chart, but that's more than plenty, I think.

Next I took a shot at his upcoming Solar Return, which will be in effect both for the convention and the election. I have no idea where he'll be for his birthday, so I erected the chart for his birthplace.
If he's anywhere in the east or parts of the midwest, he'll have Leo rising, another indicator of destiny fulfilled. No matter where he is, though, there are indications that the nomination won't be a cakewalk. Saturn directly opposes his Sun, so he needs to be careful to exercise self-control. That said, his progressed Sun will still be exactly on his Ascendant and Regulus at the time of the convention, positive indicators that he will achieve his goal.

The chart for the opening of the Republican Convention supports this. It opens on July 18th, 2016 in Cleveland, Ohio, and the time it will commence has yet to be announced, so I did a sunrise chart.
The rising Sun and Ascendant are tightly conjunct Trump's natal Venus, ruler of his tenth house of career. They are also conjunct his problematic natal Saturn.

Moving ahead to election day, November 8th, his Sun will have progressed into 0 degrees of Virgo.
At first, I was inclined to think that this meant that he would have peaked at the convention and then lost the election. But then I remembered that fixed stars don't stay fixed forever; they move one degree every 72 years, and as it happens, Regulus has also moved into 0 degrees of Virgo.

But there is even more. His progressed mid-heaven, or indicator of his career, will have moved into the first degree of Leo, the sign of kings and presidents. Meanwhile, of possible concern, his progressed Mars falls on the fixed star Vindamiatrix at 10 Libra, suggesting that the election may cost him his marriage. Alternatively, and of greater concern, that placement can also mean he takes on power that he cannot control.

The transits for the moment the polls first open form the final piece of my analysis. I did a little research to see where the polls open first on election day, and it turns out that they open at the stroke of midnight in a hamlet in New Hampshire, Dixville Notch.
That was when I knew he was going to win. The Ascendant for the moment the polls open election day is 0 degrees of Virgo, right on Trump's progressed Sun and Regulus.

To be fair, I have not looked at the charts of any other candidates, so I can't say whether any of them have anything going on of interest. But I find it difficult to believe that any of them could surpass what Trump's chart seems to promise.
Last edited by Ellen on Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dear Ellen Thankyou so much for your interesting and thoughtful post. I have a comment about the last ie the contest chart.
Using the nightime calculation of the part of fortune we have it standing right on the midheaven in Taurus. As the likely contestants are to be Hillary Clinton b 26 10 1947 - currently Even money favourite with the bookmakers and the aforesaid Donald Trump 4to1 second fav, it would indicate a stronger showing for her particularly as the Sun of the election conjuncts her natal Venus.Thanks for the hard work that went into discovering that chart.

Hello Ellen,

I can only echo Simon's thanks for your sharing your detailed and insightful analysis on this issue. And a clear prediction too! I love a poster willing to make a solid political prediction. :'

We are unfortunate that we dont seem to have timed data for any of the other Presidential hopefuls. In particular Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio (Republican) and Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders (Democrat).

Trump certainly seems to way out ahead of his Republican rivals based on national polls:

http://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/t ... ll-n496711

However, many political analysists emphasize this isn't a national poll and that the states the primaries will take place are crucial. Still, Statewide polling of Republican party supporters also suggests Trump stands very strongly compared to his rivals at this stage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statewide ... ries,_2016

Here is a link detailing the Republican primaries this year:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republica ... ries,_2016

While many have assumed the massive and well funded election machine of Hillary Clinton was effectively a shoe in to get the Democratic nomination some recent polls indicate her lead over Bernie Sanders has been melting away:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/13/us/po ... .html?_r=0

So Clinton may have more of a political fight on her hands than previously expected even a month ago.

Mark
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

I'd like to point out that Trump was born a few hours before a lunar eclipse. In a leader's chart, the Moon represents the people and in Trumps chart it represents the 12th house of enemies. I think one of the reasons Trump has advanced so much is because the sign that weighs him down (the 12th sits on top of the first) the most is Cancer and the ruler is swallowed up by the south node (SN represents what's leaving this world). This means that one way or another he has a knack for overcoming his enemies. It's also a bad sign at the end because the Moon represents the people which suggests that he ends up as an enemy of the people because the people are swallowed up by his power. The MC on algol has as exaltation lord, the Moon also suggests that the people will eventually lead to his demise if elected or vice versa.
Curtis Manwaring
Zoidiasoft Technologies, LLC

hi ellen,

thanks so much for making an informed post related to trump and the upcoming usa election... i really appreciate the time and energy you put into this and sharing it with us here...

i also appreciate your articulating how you 'prioritize' the astro, especially your opening remarks which i fully concur with. we all process the tools we have to work with in astrology differently which is how no two astrologers will arrive at the same conclusion the same way.. i don't do things the same way as you, but i appreciate how you lay your approach out clearly for all to see!

i would like to reverberate marks comment regarding the fact we don't have the other candidates full data to be able to make a better estimate of the likelihood of all the candidates.. this is a real shame, but as i jokingly often state - maybe in another 100 years our society and civilization in general - will be more receptive to the availability and sharing of birth data... whether hilary was born in the morning or the evening - i think it could be settled with a birth record, but apparently that is 'top secret' like so much and personally i think it defies logic - my own anyway!!

i am too busy to take a closer look at trumps chart.. i have gone over it casually and noted some of the details you've noted, but not to the point of putting my ass on the line with a prediction! thank you again for this.. i plan on commenting when i have more time and will go into my astro rationale for how i see it, but can't do this for the next week anyway.. cheers james

the thing about this election is that none of the candidates' nativities grab the US Independence Chart (I use 7GE34 asc) ... Rubio's sun conjuncts US uranus/asc ... Donald's sun to US mars. Dubya's sun conjuncts US sun; Obama's ascendant calibrated to exactitude to the US Moon which I attribute to his magical rise thru the ranks, O's sun the US nadir

Donald's p-moon is waning ... and the solar progression right around election day into virgo points to a life change

Sanders p-moon is waxing ... he will have a p-full moon (life triumph) somewhere around 2018 ... his p-sun, like Donald's p-sun changes sign scorp to sag around election day AND ... the US P-Moon also around election day changes sign from scorp to sag, which I read as the win for Sanders.

And given Donald's rude behavior, I predict a respectable %age of American Muslims will vote for Sanders -- creating a real possibility of a workable midEast peace...

I was on campus at U of Chicago when Sanders attended, I hope to be the Joan Quigley of the Sanders administration --

First off, the degree of his rising sign is 29 Leo, the sign of leaders (and egomaniacs). The 29th degree of any sign is where its influence can be the most intense, so any such tendencies will be pronounced in his character.
That would explain his big orange hair, then.
Verum e

As Ellen said we need to examine the nativity to see if the chart has the seeds of greatness or eminence. Clearly, Trump is already a highly successful CEO and media personality. But does he have the makings of modern 'Kingship' or the Presidency?

Lets start with a classic hellenistic approach to eminence set out by Ptolemy in the Tetrabiblos (Book III, Ch 5) . A positive is that both luminaries are in masculine signs here. By whole sign the luminaries are in the fortunate 11th and 5th but are angular by sign division.

A third factor to examine is the attendants (Doryphory) of the luminaries. This looks less promising. Usually we are looking for angular planets in the same sign or next sign oriental to the Sun (day chart). But Trump has no traditional planets in that state.

I do find Trump's angular Mars rising very intriguing. The problem with Trump's Mars is that it is strongly out of sect and therefore according to Valens likely to bring instability, dramatic reversals of fortune and strong opposition. Its in a day chart, in a masculine sign and is occidental of the Sun. Its also out of sect by hemisphere in a day chart being above the horizon.

Curtis made a comparison to Bill Clinton's chart in predictive terms and it is interesting that natally both Clinton and Trump have a strongly out of sect Mars rising in a day chart. This clearly didn't prevent Clinton becoming President twice!

But of course Clinton was Libra rising. In his chart Mars ruled the 2nd WS house (Scorpio) and 7th house (Aries). Not surprisingly the diurnal Mars domicile (Aries) was the one that provoked the worst difficulties for Clinton. His numerous infidelities with women are well documented. No surprise that Clinton's domicile and bound ruler of his ASC was Venus. He certainly had charisma but his 7th house ruler in the 1st (the out of sect malefic) points to his difficulties and his strong opposition from his Republican opponents. Financial matters also featured prominently in his first term with with the Whitewater financial scandal eventually led by the relentless prosecutorb Kenneth Starr.

Trump Mars is still out of sect but if anything even more out of sect than Clinton's since it is above the horizon in the day.

Nevertheless one crucial difference between these two chart's is the placement of Mars by bound (Egyptian) Unlike Clinton, the bound ruler of Trump's ASC is Mars!

One very important difference between these two chart's Mars placement is the bound rulership. Unlike Clinton, the bound ruler of Trump's ASC is Mars. Moreover, Mars is received by the Sun from an effective house and forms a sextile to it.

Hence while Clinton relied on charm and charisma Trump has a very evident pugnacious demeanour. While Mars is his malefic out of sect its bound rulership seems to give him the ability to make this Mars work for him. Its out of sect nature makes his style abrasive, and visibly aggressive but it can be nonetheless effective as we have seen in the Republican debates.

If Trump succeeds it will be will not be because iof his charm or a silver tongue. Rather, it will be because he has successfully tapped into an undercurrent of popular resentment and anger many Americans feel towards the Obama administration and the post-recession climate.

By house rulership Trump's Mars is ruling the 9th and 4th houses. Of course his comment on restricting Muslims (9th house) has generated International attention and controversy. There has even been a petition igned by 500,000 people in the UK proposing that Trump be denied entry to the UK which was debated in the UK Parliament. Trump seems to positively thrive on such opposition and controversy. Of course the 9th is also foreign countries so the possibility of Trump being involved in a foreign war (if elected President) seems high. His relatively luke warm religious views are well reflected in his having a malefic (Mars ruling the 9th. As for 4th house issues Trump has of course emphasized rebulding American greatness and national pride. But at the same time he has taken a very tough stance on Mexican immigration and proposed the building of a wall along the Mexican-American border.

Mark
Last edited by Mark on Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

hi mark and curtis to a lesser extent,

not into throwing a bucket of water on your work here mark, but i would like to point out the source notes on bill clinton for the birth data on adb - rated A ( i don't know why).. i personally question the veracity of the birth data and remembered struggling with all this way back when.. i don't have the confidence off the source notes below to bother making comparisons with clinton and trump charts as a consequence.. trump data seems much more solid..

http://www.astro.com/astro-databank/Clinton,_Bill
Source Notes

James_M
not into throwing a bucket of water on your work here mark, but i would like to point out the source notes on bill clinton for the birth data on adb - rated A ( i don't know why).. i personally question the veracity of the birth data and remembered struggling with all this way back when.. i don't have the confidence off the source notes below to bother making comparisons with clinton and trump charts as a consequence.. trump data seems much more solid..
Hi James,

Thanks for pointing out the question mark over Bill Clinton's birth data listed on Astrodatabank. I know a lot of astrologers would still accept this chart and have worked the time I have given (For example Joseph Crane in his book on Hellenistic Astrology). However, I dont want the thread getting sidetracked into a further discussion on Clinton's natal data. Since Trump's data is verified by a birth certificate lets get back to that.

Thanks

Mark
Last edited by Mark on Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

I have included below a post made by Douglas Noblehorse on a closed Facebook forum for traditional astrologers. I have his permission to reproduce it here.

Doug Noblehorse has examined Trump's chart using the hellenistic predictive technique of Zodiacal Releasing (ZR). Zodiacal releasing is one of several 'time lord' systems which attribute periods of life to a sign or planet. They usually, include main periods and sub-periods. Apart from zodiacal releasing other examples of hellenistic Time Lord predictive techniques include Profections, Decennials and Distribution of the Ascendant through the bounds. In Indian astrology there is also a well known time lord predictive technique called the dashas while Medieval astrology adopted a technique called Firdaria which was Persian in origin.

Such systems allow us to focus on particular rulers and sub-rulers as especially important to a person's life at any one time. Hence transits and solar returns can be studied with particular attention to rulers of a period.

Zodiacal Releasing involves moving through the signs from the Lot of Spirit (alternatively from Lot of Fortune). The period allocated to each sign was determined by the planetary periods of their rulers set out by Vettius Valens in his Anthology. Chris Brennan and Patrick Watson relied very heavily on zodiacal releasing to predict Barack Obama would win the last two Presidential elections. Advocates of this predictive technique claim it very precisely picks up peak periods in a person's life.

Douglas Noblehorse wrote:
I'm not really all that impressed by Trump's Lot releasings this year (based on the Leo rising chart). They're rather middle of the road - and while they don't preclude the level of attention he's receiving right now I don't think they support an eventual presidential victory - especially if he's matched up against Hillary Clinton. As Patrick Watson and Chris Brennan pointed out right after the last presidential election, Hillary's releasings this year are notable.

Spirit Releasing Trump's major period right now is Cancer, which is his 12th house, so no real help there. His secondary period is currently his 10th Taurus (which supports the attention he's getting) but in May he moves to his 11th Gemini - which is where his Sun is at. Continued attention.

Fortune Releasing Major period Gemini, see above. As this is Fortune, one might speculate that Trump really is putting his heart, soul and ego (Sun in Gemini) into his presidential bid, but the secondary level for this election season is Virgo, his second house. Perhaps this contributes some signification for his financial expenditures in support of his run.

Nemesis Releasing (Capricorn) This is the natal antiscia point corresponding to the Paulus Lot of Nemesis which is in Aries. Releasing from Capricorn shows an Aries/Taurus Level 1/2 which again involves his 10th house. However, in May this changes to Gemini, again involving his natal Sun. As Venus is currently his 2nd level Lord, it might be speculated that upending sensibilities (Venus) would spur the action of Nemesis, requiring a cosmic balance (Nemesis=Lot of Saturn=Saturn's exaltation through Libra). However, that doesn't seem to be happening, as Trump issues ever more controversial and outrageous perspectives and positions. It remains to be seen if the 2nd level here changing to Gemini brings in a faulty communication element here - perhaps Trump finally says something that leads to a Trump Correction.

Nemesis Releasing (Aries) This is the Paulus Nemesis position - releasing currently is Leo/Virgo - which certainly adds 1st house issues of ego to any potential Nemesis corrections. Leo's ruler is the Sun of course, which activates his natal Sun in Gemini.

In September the releasing changes to Leo/Libra - perhaps that when he completes a return to a familiar environment (his Libra 3rd) which in his case is the business world? A running thread tying all of these current releasings is Mercury/Gemini. I would suspect it eventually will be his mouth that leads to his undoing. But also keep in mind I'm not a fan of his?

Mark