Tanit3333 wrote:In order to have a better discussion, you might want to reference the text and author to which you are referring to and the methods of approach. Your statement sounds like a universal truth rather than a particular method. It is important to clarify which methods you are referring to because "traditional" encompasses many astrologers and techniques over a long history and this forum is not devoted to only Hellenistic astrology, hence my question.

Regarding overcoming if one has planets in say ,Leo virgo and libra,do the leo planets have a stronger influence in the native's personality than the others even if one of them is angular?
Again, you are referring to something specific and not filling us in on the source of your claims. "Overcoming?" Is this in reference to the book by James Holdon you mentioned in another thread? Overcoming what? Difficult career rulers if Mercury, Venus and Mars as possible rulers are all debilitated?

One question might be do other astrologers find these Hellenistic methods reliable or do they look to the 10th and 2nd ruler/planets there (and PoF, etc.) as well, even if another planet? I know Tom has said repeatedly that he does not think astrology can reliably predict the career, for example.

Also, under my school of thought, such as Bonatti and Lilly, Mercury has neither day nor night sect, although occidental versus oriental placement can dictate sect under some methods.

Chris Brennan says the following:
Firmicus is silent on the sect of Mercury in his rather brief introductory statements on the topic (Firmicus, Mathesis, Book 2, Ch. 7), although for some reason Bram’s translation mistakenly says that Mercury is associated with the nocturnal sect, even though Mercury is never mentioned in the critical edition of this chapter. Clearly Bram has introduced a mistaken interpolation here.
Mercury joys in the Asc because it belongs to both sects or is flexíble enough for both but it prefers the night as its exalted in a night sign.
Peolle talk more at night too.If you chit chat while at work youre frowned upon

Tanit3333 wrote:TT - as usual in our conversations, you misunderstand my post. My attempt to get you to elaborate was not due to my own ignorance but in order to get a more fruitful discussion from you and for others searching Skyscript to understand your meaning. I am not a strong Virgo, but thanks for the compliment, I guess. I do have a dignified Mercury, if that is what you mean.
Thats the point.You were kind of pretending you are ignorant when you obviously arent

Mercury joys in the Asc because it belongs to both sects or is flexíble enough for both but it prefers the night as its exalted in a night sign. Peolle talk more at night too.If you chit chat while at work youre frowned upon
I completely disagree that Mercury prefers the night, which would also likely imply it prefers femininity, which it does not. It is a neutral planet all around in these regards. This is stated in just about any classical text so your interpretation is unlikely to have much support.

Regarding Mercury preferring Virgo, Deb Houlding says the following:
While Mercury, although common to both genders, prefers Virgo to Gemini because it most closely maintains its natural relationship with the Sun.
http://www.skyscript.co.uk/rulership.html

Maybe others who do more research on this information can provide the sources where she makes this claim but Deb knows her stuff.

Also, according to Chris Brennan's research (see The Planetary Joys and the Origins of the Significations of the Houses and Triplicities by Chris Brennan), Mercury Joys in the 1st because it can be above or below the horizon, representing its adaptibility in sect, which is emphasized throughout classical astrology and is another reason I would most certainly not assign it to a sect.

I am locking this thread and sending Paul a PM about your posts, TT. He may opt to remove you from the forums (I think he should).

Note to Paul - TT deleted the post above mine but was being extremely offensive towards Tom on a personal level (and has insulted other members of the forums).