Ptolemaic Primary Directions

Hi Martin - you will find it as a separate module in the Horoscope-Classical Menu under Ptolemaic Primary Directions.

You can remove any unwanted planets using the Options menu, but the traditional modules that I code only include traditional planets.

Ed
"...the motions that are akin to the divine in us are the thoughts and revolutions of the universe."

Plato, Timaeus, 90.

Re: Ptolemaic Primary Directions

Thanks, Ed, I found it. I confess I can't make head or tail of the triwheel, but I see there is also a list function. Is it possible to (de)select moving/fixed points (= promissors/significators in the modern, less accurate sense), and to choose whether and how to include latitude? And what about directions through the terms?

(Direct) directions with the sun as significator seem to agree with my own calculations, but not those with the moon or angles as significators. I'm not sure why.
https://astrology.martingansten.com/

Thanks

Hi Martin - thanks for your reply. I am planning to include terms and latitude options, but I need to get the basics right first. It seems odd that the Sun calculations are fine, but not moon and angles. Can you PM me some examples so that I can have a look at it.

Thanks. Ed
"...the motions that are akin to the divine in us are the thoughts and revolutions of the universe."

Plato, Timaeus, 90.

Re: Thanks

I had a closer look, and it seems the problem isn't what I first thought. Rather, it seems that Planetdance is producing a number of (what I would consider to be) false hits. This is probably to do with presentation. For instance, when Planetdance gives (in glyphs):

MC square Mercury

-- I would assume that to mean that the degree natally on the MC had moved to the natal position of Mercury's square aspect. But I'm guessing that Planetdance uses the identical notation to signify that the degree natally square the MC had moved to the natal position of Mercury (or rather, to its ecliptical projection)? It took me a while to work that out.

Traditionally, only planets cast aspects, so 'the square of the MC' would not be an astrologically meaningful point. Also, aspect points can only be promissors (they don't signify any area of life) and angles can only be significators. So directions that are the other way round don't show up in software like Morinus.

It would be good to be able to select (and deselect) both moving and fixed points as well as aspect types, and ideally to select latitude options for each (e.g., use latitude for bodies without assigning latitude to aspects). But perhaps the most important thing is to clarify whether an aspect belongs to the fixed or the moving point. Thus, instead of:

Moon square Mercury

one could have:

Moon to the square of Mercury

(in glyphs perhaps: Moon-Mercury-square)

and:

square of the Moon to Mercury

(in glyphs: square-Moon-Mercury)

Just a suggestion.
https://astrology.martingansten.com/

Thanks

Hi Martin - this is so helpful. Many thanks. I will look into this and see what I can do. I'm relieved that there are not fundamental problems with the underlying code for the algorithms. These scripts are a process of gradual improvement and refinement but it sounds like I'm on the right track.

Thanks again. Ed

Plato, Timaeus, 90.

Petr wrote:Planetdance is an excellent program and deserves a larger primary direction module. It's good news that it's being planned for reconstruction.

Great news, even though I saw it belatedly. Is the update already out or still pending?

Planetdance Primary Directions

Hi - the update is now out. Martin Gansten has made some suggestions to improve the module, but nothing too fundamental. I haven't had time to implement these yet but download anyway and let me know what you think.

Best wishes. Ed

Plato, Timaeus, 90.

Astrolog's newest versions (i.e. version 7.20) offer versatile progression options. :'

Progression rate can be selected from a dropdown (to cover common types of progression such as primary, secondary, tertiary sidereal, and tertiary synodic) or a number manually typed in (to adjust these or experiment with new progression methods). Progression rate can be specified for planets and house cusps separately. Motion for planets and/or cusps can be uniform (e.g. solar arc or some other constant offset over time), or time equivalent (in which planets and/or house cusps are recalculated).

Astrolog also supports custom progression formulas. For example, A.T. Mann proposed a symbolical directions method which moves at a logarithmic rate, described in his books such as "The Round Art" and "A New Vision of Astrology". Logarithmic progressions mean motion is fast early in life, and continually slows down over time. The specific formula he uses is "Arc = Log10((Age/0.076661459)+10)*120-120". In Astrolog you can do this method of progression, by writing the progression formula in Astrolog's "AstroExpression" syntax. (The exact syntax to do this for A.T. Mann's method is an example given in the Astrolog documentation.)
Astrolog 7.60 freeware downloads: http://www.astrolog.org/astrolog.htm :)

Cruiser1 wrote:Astrolog's newest versions (i.e. version 7.20) offer versatile progression options. :'

Progression rate can be selected from a dropdown (to cover common types of progression such as primary, secondary, tertiary sidereal, and tertiary synodic) or a number manually typed in (to adjust these or experiment with new progression methods). Progression rate can be specified for planets and house cusps separately. Motion for planets and/or cusps can be uniform (e.g. solar arc or some other constant offset over time), or time equivalent (in which planets and/or house cusps are recalculated).

Astrolog also supports custom progression formulas. For example, A.T. Mann proposed a symbolical directions method which moves at a logarithmic rate, described in his books such as "The Round Art" and "A New Vision of Astrology". Logarithmic progressions mean motion is fast early in life, and continually slows down over time. The specific formula he uses is "Arc = Log10((Age/0.076661459)+10)*120-120". In Astrolog you can do this method of progression, by writing the progression formula in Astrolog's "AstroExpression" syntax. (The exact syntax to do this for A.T. Mann's method is an example given in the Astrolog documentation.)
Walter,

That makes your versatile software even more progressive! :D

Visit my blog:
https://michaelsternbach.wordpress.com/

Cruiser1 wrote:Astrolog's newest versions (i.e. version 7.20) offer versatile progression options. :'

Great, thanks.

Re: What Primary Directions software do you use?

Martin Gansten wrote:Much has happened since I made a survey of astrology software offering primary directions in my textbook more than a decade ago, and I’d like to make an updated list, as comprehensive as possible, of relevant applications (including online ones). If you use software that includes primary directions, please contribute to this thread and let us know what it is (including which version) – and, if you yourself use the primary directions option, what you think of it.

If forum members wish, we might also compare output by calculating primary directions for the same chart using different software. Here is one suggestion for such a chart, the nativity of Victoria, Crown Princess of Sweden, which I use in my course: 14 July, 1977, 21:45 CET, Stockholm (59N20, 18E03), tropical Asc 29Aq18.
Can't go wrong with this