A question on Cyril Fagan's solar and lunar returns

Hi,
I am new to this forum. My background is basic Vedic astrology, but recently I have become interested in the sidereal issue and Cyril Fagan.
There is a question I hope someone can help me with.
https://www.westernsiderealastrology.co ... tober-1953

In this article in the first paragraph, Cyril Fagan writes:
should the birth Mars appear in the foreground (i.e. on the "Maltese Cross") of the current lunar or demi-lunar return. On the other hand should the transiting Mars be in the foreground, then the native may become the victim of an attack, from adverse criticism, slander, illness, fever, accidents, surgical operations, et cetera.

How to interpret this? I assume that with “the birth mars in the foreground??? he means the sign and degree of the natal mars is near the angles (AC/DC/IC/MC) of the return chart? And with “transiting Mars in the foreground??? he means the transiting planet near the angles?

This is correct, what you've written...

When surveying angularity, make sure to look at the Prime Vertical Longitude. Pluto (especially) might appear even 40° from the Ascendant, but actually be right on the Ascendant. (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, for instance)

A planet that is foreground in a sidereal solar return will be more expressive. It's not a change in strength, nor virtue, but becomes more outward, more obvious in its expression.

EXTREMELY often, foreground planets (natal and solar return) are major indicators of the upcoming year.

Since you gave the example of Mars foreground, and I happen to have just reviewed solar returns for an astrologer-friend of mine, I'll describe his year. His relationship was drying up in this year (shown by angular Saturn at the IC in his converse solar return) and he had an accident where he fell and had a brain bleed (Mars at the Asc in the SSR). [Mars and Saturn, of course no surprise for often life-threatening falls...]

Jim Eshelman has prepared a wonderful document detailing what to expect with various planets (natal and solar return) in foreground, as well as in the background in the sidereal solar return. (applying also, position-wise in the precessed tropical solar return, which will only differ in SIGN locations, not in the chart as per houses/angles)

Below, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's (sidereal) horoscope, first in ecliptic longitude to show where Pluto appears to be and then in Prime Vertical Longitude to show how angular it actually is. (due to its extreme latitude)

Return Charts Interpretations

Stijn asked:
How to interpret this? I assume that with “the birth mars in the foreground??? he means the sign and degree of the natal mars is near the angles (AC/DC/IC/MC) of the return chart? And with “transiting Mars in the foreground??? he means the transiting planet near the angles?
Exactly. Stijn, the below link will take you to Jim Eshelman thread “Interpreting Lunar Returns???. This may help you with your questions since Jim is a teacher about many of Fagan’s Sidereal Astrology methods. Any other questions about Cyril Fagan, feel free to ask and I will try to link you-up to specific threads which may help.

https://www.solunars.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=232

Objects can be angular by Right Ascension (Equatorial Longitude).

Western Sidereal Astrologer Kenneth looks at Aspects In Mundo that are tied to the Equatorial System
He goes over them in his books on Western Sidereal Astrology

here is his article about them
https://keplercollege.org/index.php/art ... s-in-mundo

his youtube video
Mundane Aspects in Astrological Interpretation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaoIxIyF3ao

I have his books Introduction to Western Sidereal Astrology and The Western Sidereal Astrology Interpretation Workbook which has information about parans.

Robert Hand uses them

Here is Robert Hand's article about them
https://www.alabe.com/text/Dineen-AstofPlace.html

I have his book Essays on Astrology which includes information on parans.

Right Ascension of the Midheaven (RAMC) is the Local Sidereal Time (LST)

An object conjunct the Midheaven in Right Ascension is an object Culminating.

An object conjunct the Imum Coeli in Right Ascension is an object Anti-culminating

Conjunction parans:

Objects Rising together is Oblique Ascendant conjunct Oblique Ascendant

Objects Setting together is Oblique Descendant conjunct Oblique Descendant

Objects Culminating together is a conjunction in Right Ascension

Objects Anti-culminating together is a conjunction in Right Ascension

Opposition parans:

Object Rising while another object is Setting is Oblique Ascendant oppose Oblique Descendant

Object Culminating while another object is Anti-culminating is an opposition in Right Ascension

Square parans:

Object Rising while another object is Culminating is Oblique Ascendant square Right Ascension

Object Rising while another object is Anti-culminating is Oblique Ascendant square Right Ascension

Object Setting while another object is Culminating is Oblique Descendant square Right Ascension

Object Setting while another object is Anti-culminating is Oblique
Descendant square Right Ascension