It's hard to see how asteroids could be fixed as they orbit the sun. Eris is classified as a dwarf planet with an orbital period of 558 years. So far the longest orbital period of a named dwarf planet belongs to Sedna: 11,400 years. Most are closer to the orbit of Pluto, 200-300 years.

Thank you Annadeer!
Yes I meant more like 'stalled' if that makes sense.
When I saw Eris staying in Aries for almost a century, I was questioning if this was a pattern in asteroids but as you and Waybread mentioned some are slow like Sedna and some faster.

Someone asks me if I was afraid of asteroids, Gosh no!
I bought so much toilet paper and I know that paper beats rock! :D
Blessings!

Just a quick note on nomenclature. I know this is just a friendly discussion, but we should probably be a little more careful in our designations. Part of Ouranos' confusion likely stems from this.

The term "asteroid" is only properly applied to bodies that inhabit the zone between Mars and Jupiter (plus some anomalous groups that share Jupiter's orbit). Generally speaking, they have orbital periods of 3-5 years.

Minor bodies further out have different classifications, and longer orbits. Those between Neptune and Saturn are classed as centaurs, with Chiron the first discovered, but points like Nessus and Pholus also proving their utility.

Points beyond Neptune are classed generally as TNOs (Trans-Neptunian Objects - not to be confused with Uranian astrology's "Trans-Neptunian planets", which don't exist). Some of these, like Pluto, are large enough to also be classed as minor planets (as is the asteroid Ceres). Their orbits run to the hundreds of years. Eris is in this group, a TNO, not an asteroid.

As Waybread notes, Sedna is the furthest point yet discovered (and is actually in a different classification, SDO, Scattered Disk Object, because it is so far out). Of course we know nothing actually travels backward in the solar system (barring a few comets), retrograde motion is an optical illusion based on the relative positions of the earth, the sun, and a third point. Because points like Eris and Sedna are so far away, and move so slowly, they can appear to be travelling backward for much of our year, depending on where they are in their own cycles with the sun.

Hope that helps!
Last edited by alex miller on Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ouranos :lala :lala :lala

Today's find: Brad Pitt has Bradpitt conjunct his Sun, Pof conjunct Jole and Gwyn, Ridley conjunct Mars, Angelina conjunct Sun, Jennifer opposite Venus, and Thelma conjunct Jupiter.

In the summer of 1990, when his breakthrough movie Thelma and Louise was shot, directed by Ridley Scott, transiting Ridley went over his POF, transiting Scott over his natal Sun.

Note, Jennifer Aniston also has Bradpitt conjunct her Sun :) (and she has Jennifer and Rachel in a loose conjunction (7 degrees) in her 7th house)

Anna, that happens a lot - eponymous asteroids showing up significantly in the charts of their namesakes, named years after the birth. Off the top of my head, Robin Willims had Robinwilliams on his Ascendant, Stevie Wonder has Steviewonder on his Moon.

But I'm sure it's just coincidence. :lol:

Alex
But, Ouranos, feeling so secure on your mound of paper - watch out for Atropos the Cutter! She's got the scissors! Laughing
LOL! And thanks for the distinction in the garbage can of roids.

Annadeer!
We know now that they are meant to be together.
Hello People and US Weekly of this world!
We finally have a true story for you!

:D :'
Blessings!

Thank you Alex!

Ouranos, you are always giving me ideas! So I did some spying, and see what I got:

In her upcoming February Lunar return, Jenn has Bradpitt conjunct Jupiter in her 5th house! And mid July, transiting asteroid Bradpitt enters her 7th House -- and her July Lunar return has Bradpitt conjunct POF, conjunct her natal 7th house cusp! And transiting asteroid Lovejoy will be right on her Sun/Bradpitt at that moment. Also, Saturn will transit over Jenn's Sun&Bradpitt late April, making a perfect sextile to her 7th house and to her POF, and trine to her Ascendant.

Brad on his side has Jennifer conjunct North Node in his progressed 5th house, and Jen trine 7th house Venus in his upcoming Lunar return.

I'm like, really, something is up! At least it's possible! Likely even! If not in Los Angeles, then in a parallel Universe!

PS I also discovered that Brad has asteroid Lust conjunct his natal Ascendant

:D

Good info, Alex. Thanks.

Ouranos, I haven't checked this out in an ephemeris, but I assume that asteroids, centaurs, Kuiper Belt objects, Plutinos, TNOs, &c &c sometimes go retrograde or stationary. This is one way to think about heavenly body orbits seeming to stall out. Also, some of the trans-Neptunians, including Pluto, have highly eliptical (oval, cigar-shaped) orbits, so they can spend a lot more time in some astrological signs than in others.

It's also worth noting that some of the Far Out Objects or Way Out Objects (FOO or WOOs, my terminology :wink: ) sometimes loop in between the orbits of Pluto and Neptune or even closer to the sun. Eris and the centaurs are two examples. Centaur orbits are crazy: they don't follow neat concentric circles around the sun.
https://www.rocketstem.org/2020/02/08/i ... -topic-07/

If we look at the asteroids proper, their orbits are sometimes way off the ecliptic, so it is worth looking at declination. Supposedly an out-of-bounds planet (beyond 23 degrees 27' North or South)is a kind of unrestrained quixotic factor in a horoscope.

Regardless, if you're looking at Asteroids of Interest, it's worth looking for parallels, counter-parallels, and out-of-bounds asteroids.

If you're looking at asteroids in a chart of interest at Astrodienst, just click on the "additional tables" to find declinations.