He divides the houses into four groups of three. The groups, in general represent birth, vigor, decline and death. So the first triplicity is made up of houses 1, 5, and (birth) the second triplicity is 10, 6, and 2 and it represents vigor. The third triplicity is made up of houses 7, 3, and 11 and represents decline. The fourth group consists of houses 4, 12, and 8 and represents death. I cannot find a reference to fire earth, air, and water anywhere.
This reminded me of a dutch astrological book I studied in my first years of (trying and) teaching astrology, way back in the '80ies.
"Psychologische Astrologie" by Th. J. J. Ram, printed by Couvreur, The Hague (I think the 1st edition dates from 1935).
Herein the author studies charts using what he calls (I translate from the dutch):

- Quality cycle (connections between houses 1-5-9, 2-6-10 and 1, 3-7-11 and 1, 4-8-12 and 1)

- Quantity cycle:
a) the pioneer (connections between 1-2-3-4)
b) the sustainer (connections between houses 5-6-7-8)
c) the divulger (he who spreads/shares) (connections between 9-10-11-12)

- Creating cycle:
a) the Politician (conn. between 1-4-7-10)
b) the Artist (connections between 2-5-8-11)
c) the Thinker (connections between 3-6-9-12)

The "quality-cycle" resonates with what Tom wrote (quoted). But then again, early 20th century, psychological approach...?
I don't know if this work has been translated into english; at yonder times I thought it quite cumbersome to look for all these connections, put them into schemes, and "read" them... Maybe I should look it up in detail again...

I 've searched the index, intro and last pages, but nowhere I find a reference to Older Masters like Morin. Pity!
Herman

http://www.hervaro.be

tom,

could it be that the association of triplicities with the signs and elements is an obvious conclusion one might take from morin's view on these 'triplicities' that are in play with houses 1,5,9 and etc? it doesn't seem like much of a stretch as this is the same synergy that exist in the sign relationships that morin seems to be drawing in the house relationships, even if he doesn't mention the elements..

could it be that the association of triplicities with the signs and elements is an obvious conclusion one might take from morin's view on these 'triplicities' that are in play with houses 1,5,9 and etc?
I don't think so for a variety of reasons. The most obvious is that he never comes close to saying that, and the second there are a couple of places where he seems to rule it out. I am travelling and don't have the texts with me, but I do recall where he said something like this: the houses are not active. They inform us where in the areas of life that the activity will occur. If we can bring 6th house activity to the 8th house location by virtue of Virgo being in the 8th, that statement makes no sense.