Dharma Karmadhipati yoga

there sure are a lot of yogas for consideration in indian astrology! i got a copy of b.v. ramans 300 important combinations sometime ago - 5-10 years ago.. i was intrigued with the content of the book, but hadn't seriously considered indian astrology... i am almost thru reading light on life by defouw and svoboda.. in it on page 343 they talk of this yoga called - Dharma Karma adhipati yoga - 3 words instead of 2 and i see it is not in my book with the 300 combos.. i immediately get to thinking maybe there is a different name for this yoga.. does this happen, where they have 2 different names for the same yoga? you can see how a fertile imagination can lead a person!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dharma_Karmadhipati_yoga

so, that is the wkipedia version of this yoga.. in light on life, they say parmahamsa yogananda has this yoga in the 8th house of his rashi - jupiter-mars conjunction, but i see his rashi has aries/taurus on the 9th/10th cusp.. here is a link to his indian astro chart
https://horoscopes.cf/celebrity-horosco ... -chart.asp

what am i missing in all this?

these yogas are fascinating either way.. thanks..

Re: Dharma Karmadhipati yoga

james_m wrote: so, that is the wkipedia version of this yoga.. in light on life, they say parmahamsa yogananda has this yoga in the 8th house of his rashi - jupiter-mars conjunction, but i see his rashi has aries/taurus on the 9th/10th cusp.. here is a link to his indian astro chart
https://horoscopes.cf/celebrity-horosco ... -chart.asp

what am i missing in all this?
Yogas presented in the Jyotish classics are always whole sign houses.

james_m wrote:thanks aj.. i understand that... however, it still doesn't make sense how paramahansa yoganandas chart applies to this yoga here as stated in the book light on life..
James: I guess I don't understand your question then. Could you rephrase it perhaps?

The link to Yogananda's chart shows both the 5th and 9th Lords associated in the 8th house in Jupiter's sign of Pisces. I have Light on Life and they do a pretty good job of explaining this yogas relevance to PY's chart and how it is weakened by occurring in the house of obstacles. The authors do not cite which work the yoga came from but the wiki internet article says it can be found in Laghu Parashari, which is a lesser known treatise on Vimshottari dasha system that is based on BPHS. I don't have a copy of this one.

There are many thousands of yogas and most are not named. Some of the different types of yogas are: Ravi Yogas (solar combinations), Chandra Yogas (lunar combinations), Maha Purusha Yogas (combinations producing 5 classes of great men), Raja Sambandha Yogas (combinations for connection with kings), Dhana Yogas (combinations producing wealth), Daridra Yogas (combinations delivering poverty), Raja Yogas (yogas that give power).

There are many kinds of raja yogas.

Yogas can be named differently in various works and some are not named at all.

This same yoga is mentioned in Phaladeepika but it is not named except as a raja yoga if I remember right, also the same in Parashara where it is simply considered a raja yoga when the ruler of the 5th and 9th house is associated.

According to Parashara much like Phaladeepika this raja yoga "Leads to kingship or royal status." Kingship is better meant as high governmental status or special popularity in a modern context."

I'm not sure in what way
aries/taurus on the 9th/10th cusp..
fits in or is confusing you.

Are you trying to find the link of this placement to rank in the chart?
At it's most basic the fifth and ninth houses are the most auspicious and are dharma or life purpose houses, plus the lords of the trinal houses are always compatible or friends so this yoga can be quite powerful if the planets are well placed and strong. Qualifying yogas is another discussion altogether.
Note that in PY's chart Jupiter/Mars have a reciprocal aspect with Saturn (lord of the seventh house of others) in the second house of wealth and status which aspects Venus the lord of the third house and tenth houses of initiatives/leadership and character.

thank you aj!

the reason i am confused is the yoga seems to be talking about the 9th and 10th house, and it's lords... in the chart under consideration, there is no 10th lord involved! that is what mystifies me about this!

re-reading the dharma karmadhipati article, it might be that it is only about the 9th house and 9th lord, but that wasn't the overall impression i got from reading it fully..

""...if the lord of the 9th is in the 10th house and the lord of the 10th occupies the 9th house or if both happen to conjoin in the 9th or in the 10th house provided the lord of the 9th does not simultaneously own the adjoining 8th and the lord of the 10th, the adjoining 12th house. The Raja yoga formed by these two lords is known as the Dharma Karmadhipati yoga.""

there is no 10th-9th house exchange and there is no 10th lord, or house involvement in paramahansa yoganandas chart.. that is why i am mystified... thanks..

james_m wrote:
""...if the lord of the 9th is in the 10th house and the lord of the 10th occupies the 9th house or if both happen to conjoin in the 9th or in the 10th house provided the lord of the 9th does not simultaneously own the adjoining 8th and the lord of the 10th, the adjoining 12th house. The Raja yoga formed by these two lords is known as the Dharma Karmadhipati yoga.""

there is no 10th-9th house exchange and there is no 10th lord, or house involvement in paramahansa yoganandas chart.. that is why i am mystified... thanks..
Well, that is technically correct but not the entire picture.

One of the things that makes Jyotish so accurate and also so hard to learn and practice effectively is that it all the various aspects of life may be governed by more than one house or planet. In PY's chart, there is no direct contact to the tenth house, but the tenth house is only one of the houses that determine the profession. The other is the second house. That is why I pointed out the mutual aspect of the Ma/Ju and Sa. So, the connection to the profession is there. Each Graha is in turn also a natural karaka for one or more houses. If it is an accurate BT the relevant varga will also be considered.

As much information there is in the classic texts there is also the same amount or more that is left out.

This concept gets suddenly very complicated and very difficult to explain. This is just the most general of introductions to the method. It can be more confusing to those steeped in western astrology where everything is much more demarcated. There is a point where a "Jyotish logic" kicks in that helps to fill in these gaps after long mentoring, and study.

I'm going to stop before I totally confuse you or anyone reading. I probably shouldn't have mentioned it at all but you need to recognize that delineation in Jyotish can reach a very profound depth.

I will mention that not every school of Jyotish uses this method and fewer do nowadays especially since the introduction of western constituents into Jyotish.

hi aj,

thanks.. your comments help clarify my attempt at understanding the practice of astrology in india today.. it's complicated and there are what look like contradictions that are just a part of the overall picture.. well, that is how i am starting to understand it..

on a topic we touched on previously.. you mentioned the nature of aspects between the planets and how the outer planets - mars, jupiter and saturn have special aspects.. for example - jupiter can trine planets by sign and etc. etc.. i read somewhere that the other aspects happen as well, but they are not 100% aspects, but more like 75% or 50% aspects... obviously this is complicated too! so.. aside from the universal opposition and conjunction aspects, do all the planets engage in the standard aspects that we ordinarily associate in western astrology too, but at a lesser value?? it appears that they do! maybe you would like to take those aspect notes in the previous thread that were quite informative and make a post on aspects? only if you have time though!

i suppose i will just continue reading and looking at charts, attempting to understand it all better.. thanks..

james_m wrote: on a topic we touched on previously.. you mentioned the nature of aspects between the planets and how the outer planets - mars, jupiter and saturn have special aspects.. for example - jupiter can trine planets by sign and etc. etc.. i read somewhere that the other aspects happen as well, but they are not 100% aspects, but more like 75% or 50% aspects...
Secondary or Partial Aspects
There are aspects of secondary importance that most astrologers ignore that do not have a full effect even when exact.

All planets aspect the third and tenth houses from themselves, this is the 60° sextile aspect and the 90° square, and have a one-quarter effect.

All planets aspect the fifth and ninth houses from themselves, this is the 120° trine aspect and has a one-half effect.

All planets aspect the fourth house and eighth house and has a three-quarter effect. The eighth house aspect would be the same as an inconjunct aspect of 150°.

thanks aj!

in other words - all the aspects the outer 3 planets make - which count for a 100% aspect, can be made by all the other planets too, except they are not 100% strength.. i wonder how they figure out just what is the most powerful? do they have calculators to do this, or is this the shadbala software that does it for them? or, they just become really good at recognizing what is more powerful then not? i suspect the later..

in the first instance you are describing the aspects saturn can make.

in the 2nd one - jupiter, and in the 3rd one mars..

just quickly trying to figure out if any aspects are missing from the main ptolemic set... it doesn't look like it.. the big difference is in how they are valued in terms of strength - 100% verses75%, or 50%..

thanks..
AJ wrote: Secondary or Partial Aspects
There are aspects of secondary importance that most astrologers ignore that do not have a full effect even when exact.

All planets aspect the third and tenth houses from themselves, this is the 60° sextile aspect and the 90° square, and have a one-quarter effect.

All planets aspect the fifth and ninth houses from themselves, this is the 120° trine aspect and has a one-half effect.

All planets aspect the fourth house and eighth house and has a three-quarter effect. The eighth house aspect would be the same as an inconjunct aspect of 150°.