Hello Dima,

I would say this site has a ton of articles and links to traditional books.
If you had to have one book, I would say 'Christian Astrology' by William Lilly.
Otherwise, you have 2 pages of suggestions older texts on
http://www.astroamerica.com/horary.html
Anthony Louis

The site of Ben Dykes for deeper thoughts
https://bendykes.com/product-category/questions/

Also heard good reviews on the more recent "The Art of Horary Astrology' by Oner Doser." Haven't read it yet.

Kind regards,
Ouranos
Blessings!

Ouranos,
Thanks for your reply.

Still, I'm more interested in secondary sources than primary ones. And I've just bought Doser's book on prediction so probably something else.

I'm thinking maybe Anthony Louis' book since he uses Lilly's methods, or maybe Olivia Barclays' since she was Frawley's teacher.
Also Barbara Dunn is an option, possibly.

Anthony Louis sometimes uses modern planets as co-rulers, so I won't describe him as exactly steeped in the traditional methods. But he does offer amazing insights on Lilly and Bonatti and I much enjoyed his works.

(He uses semi-sextile too oh but then so did Lilly, though Lilly did so rarely.)

I won't even describe John Frawley as completely traditional. His reception=feelings theory is nowhere to be found in Lilly's or Bonatti's works.

To the old masters, reception=ease of perfection and that has absolutely nothing to do with whether two people love or hate each other. I hope I'm not starting a debate here. But Frawley's theory almost never worked out in my experience.

I had people head over heels in love when they only received each other by term, that kind of thing. I'd much prefer aspects (is it a trine, or is it an opposition?) when I need to tell the Querent something about feelings. They have been much more reliable for me.

Amelia

I have also read Barbara Dunn and she seems to be quite loyal to the traditional methods. One slight issue is she would mention what master A said and then what master B said and then C and D, so you'd simultaneously be absorbing what everyone said without necessarily remembering anyone. But if you don't mind that, she's an excellent read.

But one thing that would be really nice, I think, is that when one's knowledge is still young in this field, one gets steeped in the old masters' logic - in their own words. =) Lilly and Bonatti really would become inescapable sooner or later.

Amelia

Thanks Amelia.
Great tips!

Just out of curiosity, I wonder what people here in the forum think about Ivy Goldstein Jacobson's horary book and maybe also about Barbara Watters horary book.
My intuition tells me that Ivy's book must have some nice things in it...

Also, as far as I know Alphee Lavoie brand of horary is a whole different animal, certainly not traditional. Am I correct?

Hello Dima,
I think Ivy's book is the first one I bought a long time ago when I first got interested in horary as a dilettante. It remains a very good reference and she is discussing about elements I did not find elsewhere like 'The Angle of Distress' or "The Trine of the Chart'.
Barbara Watters is plain and simple.
As for Alphee Lavoie, he claims to have read a dozen horaries for the past 49 years, which is worth listening to when he has something to say. But I think he is also controversial sometimes, like Frawley but we need these voices to avoid a formatted language.

Cheers!
Ouranos
Blessings!