Hellenistic Astronomy: The Science in Its Contexts

BRILL has published “Hellenistic Astronomy: The Science in Its Contexts??? (ISBN: 978-90-04-24336-1), a fine-looking 751 pages’ thick book with BRILL’ s usual hefty price tag of €197.00. There are some well-known names on the list of contributors, even for the astrological community: Siam Bhayrom, Alan C. Bowen, Lis Brack-Bernsen, Giuseppe Cambiano, Nicola Denzey Lewis, Dennis Duke, James Evans, Klaus Geus, Gerd Graßhoff, Dorian Gieseler Greenbaum, Robert Hannah, Stephan Heilen, Wolfgang Hübner, Hermann Hunger, Helen R. Jacobus, Richard L. Kremer, Stamatina Mastorakou, Clemency Montelle, Mathieu Ossendrijver, Tracey E. Rihll, Francesca Rochberg, Micah Ross, Alfred Schmid, Nathan Sidoli, Anthony Spalinger, Glen Van Brummelen, James C. VanderKam, Alexandra von Lieven, James Wilberding and Christian Wildberg – to list them all. This is what BRILL says about its book: In “Hellenistic Astronomy: The Science in Its Contexts???, new essays by renowned scholars address questions about what the ancient science of the heavens was in the ancient Near East and Mediterranean worlds, and the numerous contexts in which it was pursued. Together, these essays will enable readers not only to understand the technical accomplishments of this ancient science but also to appreciate their historical significance by locating the questions, challenges, and issues inspiring them in their political, medical, philosophical, literary, and religious contexts.
The book is divided into three parts: Technical Requirements; Observations, Instruments, and Issues; Contexts. It covers noticeably long time span: from 300 BCE to 750 CE. The astrology is mentioned often, but even more often: “a prognostic astronomy??? is mentioned :-).
I am not attempting to review the book, too early for that. I am simply letting you know that there is something worthwhile out there: if you are interested in the subject. First, I have flicked through the book and I liked what I saw. Now, I have been slowly going thru it for a couple of weeks, so far to my satisfaction.

Paul Paral