Hi Astrojin,

Thank you! Discourses consist of 97 chapters in Greek, and there is an appendix of about 25 chapters, which is only partially extant in Greek but fully in Latin. These are of various lengths, so I can’t precisely predict in how many installments I can release the translation. The Latin edition is 36 pages long, and I’ve translated the equivalent of 7 pages, so let’s say I’m at about 20% of the entire text.

But you must also know that from now on, I’ll release the segments of Discourses only every second week since I have a new flagship translation featuring this week: the revision of Antiochus’s Introductory Matters attributed to Porphyry. This text has already been translated but mine is based on hitherto unnoticed recensions and manuscripts, so I hope that despite the fact that you (and many others) must be aware of its contents, you’ll still find it interesting.

Hello Levente,

Thank you for your prompt response!

I have always been interested in the didactic approach of the ancients; didactic by means of teacher to student interaction reported by the student (or even the teacher)... It provides the opportunities for us to study the mind of the teacher and his/her philosophical framework when working through the astrological algorithms.

Thanx again!

Hi Astrojin,

I'm really glad to hear this! Discourses are one of a kind, at least I don't know any other texts giving such intimate insight into an astrology master's relationship with his pupil. Interestingly enough, it doesn't always depict a flattering image of Abu Ma'shar, which was certainly not Shadhan's intention.

I believe you would also like the freshly unearthed Byzantine horoscopes, which are so far undiscovered examples of astrological practice. There are at least a dozen more that are queuing at my desk, but I believe I'll be able to translate them before the end of the year.

By the way, do you happen to have any texts on your wishlist?

Hello,
By the way, do you happen to have any texts on your wishlist?
At the moment, I don't know what I don't know yet enough to have a wish list! I guess I am more inclined towards the Hellenistic/Hermetic and Arabian approaches towards the philosophy of astrology and I am kind of hoping that you would be discovering them so that they could be on my wish list... hahaha

I guess I like the teacher-student interactive text like Abu Ma'shar and Shardan because it is like reading the Dialogues of Plato. Both "teacher" and "student" (or protagonists) actually discovering something rather than the teacher teaching what he knows...The teaching teaching what he knows is only "transfer of knowledge". The teacher having a didactic and dialectic discourse with his student does not only transfer knowledge but also transfer his skills while also gaining new knowledge...

This is also why I read the Book of Reasons by Ibnu Ezra closely because the book explicates the philosophy (well at least some of them) of the Book of Wisdom.

I guess these are the kind of texts that I am interested in...

Hi Levente,

Would it be possible to translate parts of a book by Schoener? Robert Hand said he would translate it and has not so far. I am talking about the specific parts of the book that contain one or more nativities on which Schoener applies the annual suite of techniques from Perso-Arabic Astrology. I don't remember how the book is called. I know of it from Dimitar Kojuharov.

The reason I am asking is we do not have a single translated chart that demonstrates how to apply the full method of the Cycle of the year. I realize Schoener lived centuries later, but as you know he used earlier sources, such as Abu Mashar.

Thanks to the great contributions of the translators you mentioned, we already have a few thousand pages of theory.

What the practising astrologers with clients among us need is chart delineations and predictions of real-life cases. I mean, even Abu Mashar in his Persian Nativities IV does not really give an example chart on how to apply the method. Neither does Sahl, and these two books alone are over 1,000 pages.

If it is not possible to translate Schoener, or you have other priorities, then my request is to translate other ancient texts which focus on delineation and prediction of actual nativities.

Thank you again for initiating this project for the restoration of Ancient Astrology. May it flow and adapt like water. I was not around Project Hindsight, but I will support Project HOPOI. Greetings from the Danube river. :D
Ancient and Chinese Astrology:

https://www.100percentastrology.com/