Astrological Survey: House Systems

Hi guys

I am doing Nick Campion's MA Cultural Astronomy and Astrology.

I realise house discussions have generated debate and strong arguments within the astrological community. I am conducting research across various astrological forums online to try to better understood why people choose the house systems that they do and examine astrologers' thoughts on what house systems are.

The survey is pretty quick, it should take 5-10 mins to complete, and I would be really grateful if people would complete the survey. You can choose, at the end, an option to be emailed the results of the survey if you're interested.

Additionally I will be conducting a very small number of interviews, no longer than 20-30 minutes, with participants, so if you're interested in having your views about houses documented and form part of the research, I would love to hear from you - just check the appropriate box at the end of the survey and provide an email address to contact you on (it will be deleted once the research is complete).

Questionnaire:

https://forms.gle/BUUmCiK7nUCuDPZW8

Thanks everyone!
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" - Socrates

https://heavenlysphere.com/

Hi Paul,

I was going to complete your survey but my main difficulty doing so is that I dont just use one house system as your question assumes. I look at WSH for house rulership but placidus for assessing effectiveness.

This follows the approach of astrologers like Sahl.

You dont seem to allow for people like myself in your question?

Mark
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

Hi Paul,

I was going to complete your survey but my main difficulty doing so is that I dont just use one house system as your question assumes. I look at WSH for house rulership but placidus for assessing effectiveness.

This follows the approach of astrologers like Sahl.

You dont seem to allow for people like myself in your question?

Mark
Hi Mark (and James)

I also use multiple house systems (in my case it's equal and placidus), however my question is "What is the main house system that you currently use?". I had in mind polls such as the ones found here on skyscript as well as the one in the Mountain Astrologer about 10 years ago.

Because I recognise that people use house systems in diverse ways I've asked questions more broadly about what a house system is, as well as asked if people use house systems for different branches or techniques in astrology. As far as I know, there is no poll on astrology which attempts to address those questions.

I am somewhat bound in my questions by the academic setting, so in a lot of ways I need to know I can academically justify my questions. My survey is also only the first stage of the research. There will be follow up interviews where I hope to tease out people's view of astrology.
It's difficult to gain a sense of what houses people are using in a questionnaire that is so open that people could conceivably choose a house system not only for different branches of astrology (I know people who use Placidus for natal, Regiomontanus for Horary, and WSH for profections), but also different techniques in astrology (WSH for topics, Porphyry for length of life etc.)

My aim was to first get a finger in the air sense of where people are at, given the limitations of my survey, but also of all quantitative surveys of that kind, and then subsequently dive into a few different views by interviewing people who have expressed that they use different houses for different things or that they've described as much in the "other" field (which people are free to use as they wish) or the other open questions.

Certainly people have already answered things like "Equal for topics and Placidus for timing" etc.

PS

Just to add to this, when I do my final analysis I will be including people who expressed either through the open questions or in the 'other' category, the other house systems that people mentioned so that a quantitative analysis will be accurate to reflect people's actual use. My single answer question for that specific question was to keep it in line with the kinds of polls that are seen from the Mountain Astrologer, Facebook polls and Skyscript polls. See here for example:
https://www.astro.com/astrowiki/en/Plac ... use_System

Keeping this open until Sunday the 12th of July.

If anyone else wants to get involved, you have a few more days. After 170 replies, the results are perhaps not what people might expect. Will be curious to analyse the final information and conduct the final interviews to get additional context on the data.

In regards the concerns raised here, if you use multiple systems, I have a little algorithm to work it out and account for it appropriately. So if you create a list of house systems in the 'other' category it will be accounted for as though you had used a check box with multiple houses. It is a concern I'll be reflecting on in my final analysis as well.