Moons of other planets in astrology?

• Do moons orbiting other planets affect that planet's energy?
  • Do exoplanets orbiting other stars affect that star's energy?
Astrology has grown over the centuries. It started with just looking at the Sun and seasons, and popular culture just looks at Sun sign to determine compatibility. That simplistic understanding has evolved to consider planets which orbit the Sun, to get a more detailed picture. Just as the solar system is more than the Sun, so are planets with their moons like mini-solar systems on their own.

Planetary moons can be considered the next step in the evolution of astrology! 8) There isn't much in the way of astrology software that computes planetary moons (at least not yet! ;)) That lack may indicate why there hasn't been much research into this area yet.

From a geocentric perspective, a moon always appears very close to the planet it orbits, so it doesn't make sense to just plop moon objects into a normal geocentric wheel chart. That leads to the first rule of planetary moon astrology: Moons influence the planets they orbit, and determine what parts of the planet receive emphasis. Moons aren't really independent energy sources like planets or even asteroids, both of which orbit the Sun.

As with ordinary planet-only astrology, there are multiple things to consider when looking at how prominent a planetary moon is. Some of these are best seen in the planet centered chart, which gives a view of the situation with that planet, and therefore the overall energy it sends to Earth:
  • When a moon is Conjunct its planet from Earth's point of view (especially if it's transiting over its disk) and acts as a lens or filter between the planet and earth.
  • When a moon is leading its planet in its orbit (moon Square Sun from the planet's point of view) so the planet passes through the moon's "aura dust".
  • When a moon is Conjunct or Opposite the Sun from the planet's point of view (producing a planetary New Moon or Full Moon, which can intensity the energy of the planet and the energy the planet subsequently sends to Earth, similar to the effect of New Moon or Full Moon on Earth).
  • When a moon is closest to or farthest away from its planet (similar to the Moon perigee and apogee points with respect to Earth).
  • When different moons aspect each other in the planet centered chart (especially Conjunction) which can combine and intensify their energy.
  • When a moon is conjunct another planet, which can modify the moon's influence upon its own planet.
  • When a moon in the planet centered chart Conjuncts a planet in the standard geocentric chart. That's right, go ahead and overlay your planet centered moon positions with your standard geocentric chart! :P There can be a subtle sympathetic connection between moons around a planet, and planets around the Earth at the same relative angle.
As with the planets themselves, interpreting planetary moons is based on both the physical characteristics of the moon and its name in mythology. For example, Jupiter's Ganymede is the largest moon in the solar system (larger than Mercury), and is also the only moon in the solar system with its own magnetic field. In mythology, Ganymede was a mortal so handsome Zeus abducted and made him cupbearer to the gods. Ganymede therefore emphasizes the attracting good fortune aspects of Jupiter (positive) or taking things to excess and getting carried away (negative). When Ganymede is prominent (such as between Jupiter and Earth) then Jupiter still has the same interpretation, however the meaning of Ganymede modifies it somewhat, or indicates what parts of Jupiter receive more focus and emphasis.
Astrolog 7.60 freeware downloads: http://www.astrolog.org/astrolog.htm :)

Hi Walter

Yet another great feature you have added to your well known freeware! :D

That's a fascinating concept that a planet's moons would be modifying its influence somehow. This does make sense, as our Moon is seen, on the one hand, as relaying the energies from beyond the sublunar sphere to us, on the other hand, as broadcasting Earth's own signal to the larger universe. So it can be assumed that moons in general act as antennas of sorts.

Below you see an image that resulted from spontaneously holding my cell-phone's camera onto the eyepiece of my new Celestron-8 telescope. No, I am not expecting to to win any amateur astronomy award with this... :lol: However, it shows Jupiter with his four major moons quite nicely. I was kind of surprised to see them "reaching out" from their planet like that.

Last edited by Michael Sternbach on Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Visit my blog:
https://michaelsternbach.wordpress.com/

Michael Sternbach wrote:Yet another great feature you have added to your well known freeware! :D
Hi Michael! Planetary moons aren't implemented in Astrolog yet, but rumor has it that will be changing soon. ;) Right now I'm just considering the theory, practice, and interpretative meanings of planetary moon positions.
Below you see an image that resulted from spontaneously holding my cell-phone's camera onto the eyepiece of my new Celestron-8 telescope. However, it shows Jupiter with his four major moons quite nicely. I was kind of surprised to see them "reaching out" from their planet like that.
Cool, your picture of Jupiter and its moons Ganymede, Callisto, Io, and Europa turned out quite well! :' Yes, at that time all four moons are on the same side of Jupiter, "pulling" in roughly the same direction, which should be significant to Jupiter's energies in a similar fashion as having all planets above or below the horizon in a birthchart. (Whether any or all four of those planets are actually Conjunct would require looking at the Jupiter centered chart.)

Here's a page that goes more into planetary moons, and gives interpretation meanings for the most major moons of each planet: http://www.astrolog.org/astrolog/astmoon.htm

Galileo discovered the moons of Jupiter, and wondered whether they would affect astrological interpretations. I don't know if he pursued this inquiry, but it would be an interesting topic to explore.

Re: Moons of other planets in astrology?

Cruiser1 wrote:
  • Do moons orbiting other planets affect that planet's energy?
  • Do exoplanets orbiting other stars affect that star's energy?
Hi Walter

Let's talk about exoplanets some more. :D

While I follow their ongoing exploration with great interest, it is generally difficult for me to see their relevance for astrology at this stage. Not least because it is not exactly easy to figure out where Kepler-452b would fall in a given chart, is it?

And while it may be of interest to take the chart positions of certain prominent astronomical objects into consideration, even if they belong to the less visible variety (personally, I have always had a weird fascination with quasars :D), introducing thousands of new objects does not appear to be very practical. A better approach may be to start with those comparatively bright fixed stars that traditionally play a role in astrology and that are now known to come with a solar system of their own. The following list may prove helpful in this regard:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamiecarte ... 529b1f70a5
Astrology has grown over the centuries. It started with just looking at the Sun and seasons, and popular culture just looks at Sun sign to determine compatibility. That simplistic understanding has evolved to consider planets which orbit the Sun, to get a more detailed picture. Just as the solar system is more than the Sun, so are planets with their moons like mini-solar systems on their own.
The term "mini-solar systems" describes them well. They are indeed reminiscent of a solar system, just scaled down by one step. As above, so below!

Jupiter even emits more energy than he receives from the Sun, so he is radiant in his own right to some degree. Indeed playing the role of a sun for his extensive system of "planets" (moons) - one of which (Europa) is even a candidate for extraterrestrial submarine life!
Planetary moons can be considered the next step in the evolution of astrology! 8) There isn't much in the way of astrology software that computes planetary moons (at least not yet! ;)) That lack may indicate why there hasn't been much research into this area yet.
Right, but I take it that is going to change in the near future? :brows:

I surely hope so.
From a geocentric perspective, a moon always appears very close to the planet it orbits, so it doesn't make sense to just plop moon objects into a normal geocentric wheel chart. That leads to the first rule of planetary moon astrology: Moons influence the planets they orbit, and determine what parts of the planet receive emphasis. Moons aren't really independent energy sources like planets or even asteroids, both of which orbit the Sun.

As with ordinary planet-only astrology, there are multiple things to consider when looking at how prominent a planetary moon is. Some of these are best seen in the planet centered chart, which gives a view of the situation with that planet, and therefore the overall energy it sends to Earth:
  • When a moon is Conjunct its planet from Earth's point of view (especially if it's transiting over its disk) and acts as a lens or filter between the planet and earth.
  • When a moon is leading its planet in its orbit (moon Square Sun from the planet's point of view) so the planet passes through the moon's "aura dust".
  • When a moon is Conjunct or Opposite the Sun from the planet's point of view (producing a planetary New Moon or Full Moon, which can intensity the energy of the planet and the energy the planet subsequently sends to Earth, similar to the effect of New Moon or Full Moon on Earth).
  • When a moon is closest to or farthest away from its planet (similar to the Moon perigee and apogee points with respect to Earth).
  • When different moons aspect each other in the planet centered chart (especially Conjunction) which can combine and intensify their energy.
  • When a moon is conjunct another planet, which can modify the moon's influence upon its own planet.
  • When a moon in the planet centered chart Conjuncts a planet in the standard geocentric chart. That's right, go ahead and overlay your planet centered moon positions with your standard geocentric chart! :P There can be a subtle sympathetic connection between moons around a planet, and planets around the Earth at the same relative angle.
These are good thoughts. The only astrologer in modern times that seriously pondered on what the Moon (our own, in this case) is doing in terms of cosmic energies seems to be Dane Rudhyar. He particularly emphasised the position of the Moon either inside or outside Earth's orbit (culminating in New Moon and Full Moon, respectively), indicative of whether the Moon (representing the personal unconscious mind) is oriented towards the inner or outer solar system (relative to Earth).
As with the planets themselves, interpreting planetary moons is based on both the physical characteristics of the moon and its name in mythology. For example, Jupiter's Ganymede is the largest moon in the solar system (larger than Mercury), and is also the only moon in the solar system with its own magnetic field. In mythology, Ganymede was a mortal so handsome Zeus abducted and made him cupbearer to the gods. Ganymede therefore emphasizes the attracting good fortune aspects of Jupiter (positive) or taking things to excess and getting carried away (negative).
This fat fellow is actually more in the category of Mars size-wise! It makes a lot of sense that Ganymede has to do with abundance then, doesn't it? His enormous size was not known at the time he was named, though - I can't help being impressed by the way every celestial body gets the name that characterises it eventually.

And I agree that both a moon's physical characteristics and its mythological associations can give us clues as to its astrological meaning, just as we have seen with asteroids and other objects. However, there is also going to be a lot of room for empirical research in this regard. :D
When Ganymede is prominent (such as between Jupiter and Earth) then Jupiter still has the same interpretation, however the meaning of Ganymede modifies it somewhat, or indicates what parts of Jupiter receive more focus and emphasis.
Yeah, that would be one of the more obvious examples. There would be much to ponder on, many mythological connections to review.

Saturn and Titan come to mind next, as the latter is another very prominent moon and the only one that has a dense atmosphere. Titan represents the Titans in general, which Saturn (aka Kronos) was himself a member of - their king in fact! As such, he defied their father Uranus, who hated the Titans - a mythological fact that may immediately lend itself to astrological interpretation when Titan's position emphasizes Saturn's power in a chart!

This may also foster the dominating aspects of Saturn's character overall.

Just thinking aloud! :D

Michael

Visit my blog:

Re: Moons of other planets in astrology?

Michael Sternbach wrote:Let's talk about exoplanets some more. :D While I follow their ongoing exploration with great interest, it is generally difficult for me to see their relevance for astrology at this stage. Not least because it is not exactly easy to figure out where Kepler-452b would fall in a given chart, is it? A better approach may be to start with those comparatively bright fixed stars that traditionally play a role in astrology and that are now known to come with a solar system of their own.
Indeed, we're just discovering exoplanets, and don't have precise data on their orbital periods yet. More importantly, it will take time to learn about exoplanets' physical and and spiritual properties, to understand how they astrologically affect their star. I'm just thinking how astrology will be a few decades or centuries in the future! :brows Similar to asteroids, not every exoplanet is of the same importance or has the same level of influence. Indeed, exoplanets around important stars should be focused upon first.
Michael Sternbach wrote:The term "mini-solar systems" describes them well. They are indeed reminiscent of a solar system, just scaled down by one step. As above, so below! Indeed playing the role of a sun for his extensive system of "planets" (moons) - one of which (Europa) is even a candidate for extraterrestrial submarine life!
Europa is very significant and "lively" in this respect! Also, Saturn's moon Enceladus has a deep ocean beneath its surface, which sometimes erupts forth in huge geysers. Dione also has a minor atmosphere, and likely even a salt water ocean beneath its surface. Titan has liquid surface oceans (although of hydrocarbons instead of water).
Michael Sternbach wrote:Right, but I take it that is going to change in the near future? :brows: I surely hope so.
Yes, there's work going on to produce Swiss Ephemeris format ephemeris files for planetary moons, which will allow Astrolog and other programs to start supporting and displaying their positions. :'
Michael Sternbach wrote:These are good thoughts. The only astrologer in modern times that seriously pondered on what the Moon (our own, in this case) is doing in terms of cosmic energies seems to be Dane Rudhyar. He particularly emphasised the position of the Moon either inside or outside Earth's orbit (culminating in New Moon and Full Moon, respectively), indicative of whether the Moon (representing the personal unconscious mind) is oriented towards the inner or outer solar system (relative to Earth).
Dane Rudhyar was certainly a gifted astrologer! :' He also appreciated the Campanus 3D model, which aligns well with 3D houses and chart spheres.
Michael Sternbach wrote:It makes a lot of sense that Ganymede has to do with abundance then, doesn't it? His enormous size was not known at the time he was named, though - I can't help being impressed by the way every celestial body gets the name that characterises it eventually.
Indeed, as Alice Bailey (author of the book "Esoteric Astrology") wrote: "The names of the planets are not the result of arbitrary choice, but the planets name themselves." ("A Treatise on White Magic" p438-439)
Michael Sternbach wrote:Saturn and Titan come to mind next, as the latter is another very prominent moon and the only one that has a dense atmosphere. Titan represents the Titans in general, which Saturn (aka Kronos) was himself a member of - their king in fact! As such, he defied their father Uranus, who hated the Titans - a mythological fact that may immediately lend itself to astrological interpretation when Titan's position emphasizes Saturn's power in a chart!
Yes, Titan is Saturn's largest moon, and the second largest moon in the solar system, and (like Ganymede) is also larger than Mercury. In mythology, the Titans ruled the world until they were overthrown by Zeus and the other Olympians and imprisoned underground. (Earthquakes were believed to be the Titans trying to escape!) Therefore, Titan accentuates the past, and whatever karmic environment the past has produced (good or bad) that we're forced to live and work within during the present.

Swiss Ephemeris format ephemeris files for planetary moons have been produced! :' 27 of the most major planetary moons are available so far. The recently released Astrolog 7.10 is the first program to make use of them. Instructions on how to display planetary moons in Astrolog are described on this page: http://www.astrolog.org/astrolog/astmoon.htm#astrolog

For an example interpretation, let's briefly consider the chart of US presidential candidate Donald Trump (in a non-partisan manner). Planetary moons won't fundamentally change a natal chart reading, but they can emphasize parts of it. He has the following conjunctions in his chart involving planetary moons:
  1. Deimos(Mars geocentric) exactly conjunct Mars: Very active and energetic, seeks to make things happen.
  2. Mimas(Saturn geocentric) exactly conjunct Saturn: Tendency to keep going and never quit or give up.
  3. Rhea(Saturn centered) conjunct Descendant: Strong family ties influence one's situation and relationships.
  4. Oberon(Uranus centered) conjunct Mars: An aggressive planner and opportunist who can take advantage of situations.
  5. Proteus(Neptune centered) conjunct Mars: Aggressively involved with illusion and "fake news" (whether he's the producer of it or a fighter against it depends on one's political views, of course.) ;)

Hi Michael,

Just need to point out the picture you inserted above is too large and is distorting the thread. Can you minimise or delete it please?

Kind regards,

Mark
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

Michael Sternbach wrote:Looks like there is yet another "thread buster" at work!
This thread looks ok to me now. :' The widest picture in it is now the 800 pixel wide "Moons of the Solar System" picture (http://www.astrolog.org/non/moons.jpg). That's much narrower than some of the pictures and animations in the "3D Houses" thread (http://skyscript.co.uk/forums/viewtopic ... 6&start=32) which reach 960 pixels across, and nobody's complained there yet.

As an addition to this thread, here's an artist's rendition of the Trappist-1 planetary system (located 39 light years away from our solar system) with proposed planet names. This star system has seven exoplanets detected so far, three of which are in the "habitable zone" and therefore may potentially house extraterrestrial life! :D

Cruiser1 wrote:
Michael Sternbach wrote:Looks like there is yet another "thread buster" at work!
This thread looks ok to me now. :' The widest picture in it is now the 800 pixel wide "Moons of the Solar System" picture (http://www.astrolog.org/non/moons.jpg). That's much narrower than some of the pictures and animations in the "3D Houses" thread (http://skyscript.co.uk/forums/viewtopic ... 6&start=32) which reach 960 pixels across, and nobody's complained there yet.
Well, I guess it's different strokes for different folks. At any rate, it's all good now, at least as far as I am concerned.
As an addition to this thread, here's an artist's rendition of the Trappist-1 planetary system (located 39 light years away from our solar system) with proposed planet names. This star system has seven exoplanets detected so far, three of which are in the "habitable zone" and therefore may potentially house extraterrestrial life! :D
Yes, the Trappist-1 system is something like our solar system on miniature. The number seven seems to be particularly significant here (the seven traditional planets!), although at the current level of technological development we indeed can't be sure that we aren't missing out on some smaller ones.

Visit my blog: