Petr wrote:Planetdance is an excellent program and deserves a larger primary direction module. It's good news that it's being planned for reconstruction.

Great news, even though I saw it belatedly. Is the update already out or still pending?

Planetdance Primary Directions

Hi - the update is now out. Martin Gansten has made some suggestions to improve the module, but nothing too fundamental. I haven't had time to implement these yet but download anyway and let me know what you think.

Best wishes. Ed
"...the motions that are akin to the divine in us are the thoughts and revolutions of the universe."

Plato, Timaeus, 90.

Astrolog's newest versions (i.e. version 7.20) offer versatile progression options. :'

Progression rate can be selected from a dropdown (to cover common types of progression such as primary, secondary, tertiary sidereal, and tertiary synodic) or a number manually typed in (to adjust these or experiment with new progression methods). Progression rate can be specified for planets and house cusps separately. Motion for planets and/or cusps can be uniform (e.g. solar arc or some other constant offset over time), or time equivalent (in which planets and/or house cusps are recalculated).

Astrolog also supports custom progression formulas. For example, A.T. Mann proposed a symbolical directions method which moves at a logarithmic rate, described in his books such as "The Round Art" and "A New Vision of Astrology". Logarithmic progressions mean motion is fast early in life, and continually slows down over time. The specific formula he uses is "Arc = Log10((Age/0.076661459)+10)*120-120". In Astrolog you can do this method of progression, by writing the progression formula in Astrolog's "AstroExpression" syntax. (The exact syntax to do this for A.T. Mann's method is an example given in the Astrolog documentation.)
Astrolog 7.60 freeware downloads: http://www.astrolog.org/astrolog.htm :)

Cruiser1 wrote:Astrolog's newest versions (i.e. version 7.20) offer versatile progression options. :'

Progression rate can be selected from a dropdown (to cover common types of progression such as primary, secondary, tertiary sidereal, and tertiary synodic) or a number manually typed in (to adjust these or experiment with new progression methods). Progression rate can be specified for planets and house cusps separately. Motion for planets and/or cusps can be uniform (e.g. solar arc or some other constant offset over time), or time equivalent (in which planets and/or house cusps are recalculated).

Astrolog also supports custom progression formulas. For example, A.T. Mann proposed a symbolical directions method which moves at a logarithmic rate, described in his books such as "The Round Art" and "A New Vision of Astrology". Logarithmic progressions mean motion is fast early in life, and continually slows down over time. The specific formula he uses is "Arc = Log10((Age/0.076661459)+10)*120-120". In Astrolog you can do this method of progression, by writing the progression formula in Astrolog's "AstroExpression" syntax. (The exact syntax to do this for A.T. Mann's method is an example given in the Astrolog documentation.)
Walter,

That makes your versatile software even more progressive! :D

Visit my blog:
https://michaelsternbach.wordpress.com/

Cruiser1 wrote:Astrolog's newest versions (i.e. version 7.20) offer versatile progression options. :'

Great, thanks.

Re: What Primary Directions software do you use?

Martin Gansten wrote:Much has happened since I made a survey of astrology software offering primary directions in my textbook more than a decade ago, and I’d like to make an updated list, as comprehensive as possible, of relevant applications (including online ones). If you use software that includes primary directions, please contribute to this thread and let us know what it is (including which version) – and, if you yourself use the primary directions option, what you think of it.

If forum members wish, we might also compare output by calculating primary directions for the same chart using different software. Here is one suggestion for such a chart, the nativity of Victoria, Crown Princess of Sweden, which I use in my course: 14 July, 1977, 21:45 CET, Stockholm (59N20, 18E03), tropical Asc 29Aq18.
Can't go wrong with this

For completeness, let me throw in Astro (old DOS program from Alexander Marr) and Polaris (from Isaac Starkman), as they calculate Topocentric Primary Directions.

Note that these operate differently (apparently) to the standard understanding of Primary Directions. ie. virtually exact aspects to planets or the relevant House cusps at events, rather than some longer, less-fixed-in-time processes

As for the evaluation/rating of the software....

Astro is an old DOS program, so is graphically limited, definitely not an all-in-one solution, but brings certain valuable tools that are rarely found elsewhere. Additionally, Astro can give a dated list of the dates of partility of directions. ie. a hit-list

Polaris is mainly aimed at rectification, but shows splendidly the particular in-orb Topocentric Primary Directions for any given date for the natal and/or epoch. (additionally it handles secondary progressions (for both natal and/or epoch), shows which planets are angular in many different styles of lunar returns for events.) It also allows the categorizing and storing of the entire list of events for any particular chart.

I use mainly the following primary directions

A. Ascendant/Midheaven as Significators (both direct and converse directions)
  • 1. Direction of planets (and their aspects) to the Ascendant (calculated by oblique ascensions)
    2. Direction of planets (and their aspects) to the Midheaven (calculated by right ascensions)
Planets/Lots as Significators - B. Interplanetary directions (both direct and converse directions)
- I focus mainly on the Sun, Moon, Lot of Fortune and Lot of Spirit as Significators
- Also important directions in this category is when the Promissor is Ascendant or Midheaven or their aspect.

The two ways that these interplanteary directions are calculated (that I follow)
  • 1. Ptolemy Interplanetary Directions (Robert Zoller's 'Alchabitius Method')
    2. Regiomontanus Interplanetary Directions (Regio Under the Pole)
Janus calculates all these specific directions and also has a rectification module using them. Hence I like Janus software.
Satya Astrology - Let the truth shine!
https://satyastrology.com/

I see. Well, it's been some years since I saw the Janus output (in fact, back in 2008, I was the one to point out to them that their existing PD module was in serious error, something they first denied but subsequently corrected), but I suspect that their so-called converse directions are still back to front from a traditional perspective -- that is, calculated contrary to time, or to the primary motion. The same goes for most software I've seen. It would be interesting to see a few sample directions to confirm or deny that, if you or anyone else would like to post them.

Unfortunately, Robert Zoller didn't really understand the mechanics of directions, so even as he tried to promote their traditional use, he perpetuated misunderstandings that had been gradually creeping in since the 19th century, particularly relating to converse directions. (As it happens, I'll be giving an online academic seminar on the history of converse directions in a few days.)

Incidentally, the Placidean method of proportional semi-arcs and the Regiomontanian method of position circles are mutually exclusive options, based on a correct and an incorrect understanding of Ptolemy's instructions, respectively (or, if you want to be diplomatic, on the original version and a modified version). I've never heard of anyone using both.
https://astrology.martingansten.com/

I am not too much into primary direction theory (especially the interplanetary directions) and tend to focus more on practical use. As such I like the empirical results of Dr.H and tend to follow that. Both converse primary directions (moving backwards in time) and Regio Under the Pole Interplanetary directions have merit.

Interested readers could peruse these resources:

Primary Directions: Towards a Uniform Presentation Standard
http://regulus-astrology.com/pdf/Primar ... tation.pdf

Primary Directions: Technical Notes
http://regulus-astrology.com/pdf/PD%20- ... ctions.pdf

Primary Directions: Example Files to accompany Technical Notes
http://regulus-astrology.com/pdf/PD%20- ... 0Files.zip

AIB - Excel Data Files
http://regulus-astrology.com/pdf/AIB%20 ... 0Files.zip
Satya Astrology - Let the truth shine!
https://satyastrology.com/