Will the covid-19 pandemic change astrology?

Major destructive events change societies in the aftermath. I think of astrologers as creatures of the cultures in which they live. However pure or objective astrology might be as a stand-alone field of study, astrologers interpret charts for natives who are also social and economic beings.

For example:

In past centuries the Black Death (bubonic plague) affected social and economic structures of hard-hit regions. The high death rate meant that surviving tenant farmers/serfs could negotiate better working conditions, even as landlords began to convert their farmland to less labor-intensive sheep grazing. The Lisbon earthquake of 1755 was so destructive that it triggered a reaction against the Christian view that disasters were God's punishment for sin. World War I in Europe took out much of an entire generation of young men, leaving unusually high numbers of unmarried women.

Does the pandemic currently change your thinking about chart interpretation? For example, if a chart native claims to be suffering from stress even without a major hit from planets in Capricorn (or a longstanding Mars in Aries, and Jupiter-Saturn now in Saturn-ruled Aquarius) are we looking at a broader, more foundational societal pattern?

Will future astrologers look back at this time, and use the pandemic (and accompanying planetary positions) as historical explanations of social change? For example, the decreasing focus on travel and in-person social contacts are now being replaced, to some extent, by more time on the Internet. Education is shifting to distance learning. Possibly friendships or pub/restaurant habits halted by pandemic restrictions will not resuscitate easily. Does the meaning of the 11th house change with increasing on-line (vs. in-person) communication?

I would love to hear your thoughts on whether you think the pandemic will effect these sorts of changes.

As the astrological signature of this pandemic seems to be Uranus in Taurus carrying Neptune in Pisces, and currently taking in the Jupiter Saturn conjunction in Aquarius, the Uranus would definitely be about technology.

I was going to try to find out if there are any fixed stars or other associations with 6 degrees Taurus, or about 1.5 to 2.5 degrees Taurus, where Uranus was when the pandemic started.

waybread and fleur,

although there were a number of astrologers that felt 2020 would be a significant year for a few reasons - jupiter/saturn conjunction, saturn/pluto conjunction and more generally the jupiter-saturn-pluto conjunction, only one that i know actually forecast that a pandemic was a very likely possibility...this was a good 5 years before it happened.. it is also written about in a book - planetary cycles , mundane astrology, by andre barbault with the english copy coming out in 2016..

it behooves those interested in astrology to study history, or if they are unwilling and unmotivated towards this, to study from those astrologers who have studied planetary cycles in a thorough manner by also studying history such as andre barbault..

regarding the idea of a change in chart reading, i would offer the idea that when the transition happened from having to do the math and draw up charts by hand to those done by computers, the impact of technology was just beginning to take off... i don't doubt there will be more changes, but the most significant to date as i see it is this transition... i think the next big transition might happen when society as a whole starts to open up to the study of astrology and the collection of data to support or dispel the various ideas and theories that might be as much superstition as observation baked into astrology.. until that change happens in the world, i think that this pandemic is an event within a larger framework of the ascendancy of technology and not a new starting point in itself... its a fun question though! cheers james

Hello,
This year trend is reflective of the intensity of this year's political events and social justice movements. Like the coronavirus pandemic, the Black Lives Matter movement, and the election in the US are all pointing to the need for astrologers to engage in social justice and a responsibility to reflect these changes.
The U.S. Senate recently backed the annual National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) along with several new anti-money laundering (AML) measures, including those aimed at enhancing financial crime information sharing between the government and banks and creating a registry of the true, or "beneficial" owners of corporations.
The France became the first country in the world to tax the GAFA. It will consist of a 3% flat rate directed at: Companies with digital revenues of more than €750 million worldwide and €25 million in France. Eventually Europe and all other countries in the world are aiming at the same goal.

We have been talking for a long time of the passage from the Age of Pisces to the Age of Aquarius. This is it! We need more equality, less charity.

Cheers!
Ouranos
Blessings!

Thanks for your posts, everyone.

I hadn't thought of the current global upheaval linked to the pandemic as heralding the Age of Aquarius, but why not? Astrologers disagree on its absolute timing, and its "cusp" might well take place over an extended period of time. But if so, the naivete of the 1960s-70s hippies in imagining a time of peace and love seems tragic. The Age of Aquarius might just mean increasing social isolation with technology infilling as it dominates more facets of our lives. Anybody here wanting to get microchipped?

Abu Ma’shar and Mahallah stated that when the conjunction of Jupiter Saturn occur in a fixed sign then the effect will start from the start of the year. The conjunction occurring in an air sign the ancient Islamic astrologers predicted a plague transmitted through the air element.They would also foresee sterility food shortages & wars in the Muslim countries.The fragmentation of political parties & new political directions taking place.The undermining of the current world power USA & the collapse of China as the conjunction formed on its ascendant, The concern for me is the prediction of sterility & depopulation which I have commented on in the thread on the first vaccine chart.