You are right, Graham, intermediate house cusps are included in Traditional Morinus as well. I must have overlooked them last night.

And yes, I see your point about oppositions and the horizon, but the principle of the ray passing through the centre of the celestial sphere (which is the sphere surrounding the actual or imagined place of observation) is the same whether you use the geocentric or the topocentric horizon. Both can be called rational horizons, meaning simply that they are calculated great circles not dependent on topography, although the geocentric one is more commonly used for reasons of convenience. Both the zodiac and all heavenly bodies except the moon are so far away that the difference is negligible.
https://astrology.martingansten.com/

Hello Martin
I'm having trouble getting the basic annual profection chart, in Morinus or in Solar Fire.
You recommend starting with just the straightforward annual, with all chart factors moved forward one full sign. But there's always a slight differnce of a at least a few minutes arc, and not the same for each chart factor.
I've tried (in the calculate profection options) just choosing the date, or date plus birth time, or the precise time of the solar return that year, but it never gives exactly the same placements as natal (just moving the zodiac around).
is there some trick I haven't discovered?

Also, I found the answer to my question about parallax - it seems to be somewhat analagous to Bianchini latitiudes for oppositions and conjunctions (though not quite the same gradation from ascendant to square as with the latter). Also, I've learned that parallax affects apparent latitude as well as longitude.
David Cochrane :
When the Moon is square the MC and the Moon is on the east side, i.e. near the Ascendant, then the parallax-corrected Moon approaches about one degree ahead of the usual Moon position. When the Moon is square the MC and the Moon is on the west side, i.e. near the Descendant, then the parallax-corrected Moon approaches about one degree behind the usual Moon position. The parallax-corrected Moon is therefore, you might say, "lowered" in the chart wheel. You can also calculate parallax-corrected positions of the Sun and the planets, but the difference between the parallax-corrected positions and the usual positions is very small (less than one minute of arc). - David Cochrane, ISAR
(He says it seems to work less well for him, contrary to his expectations. I'm still experienting...).
Many thanks for any help
Graham
(p.s. I had the same problem you mentioned elsewhere of no email notifications for private messages)

I'm afraid I can't help with the profection charts, Graham, as I never use them myself. I typically only profect the Asc, and it's easy enough to do mentally: two and a half degrees to a month (so 5 degrees to two months, and 10 degrees to four), and some 12 days to a degree.

The reason I don't find parallax and aspect latitudes analogous is that parallax is really about where you locate the centre of the celestial sphere, whereas aspect latitude is about which circle within that sphere you use to locate aspect points. I say the centre of the sphere is where a person is actually born (or a question asked, etc). That topocentric perspective properly affects the entire chart, though for practical purposes we can still use geocentric positions for everything except the moon: the differences, as you say, are negligible. Aspect points are simply points distributed on a circle, and the question is: do we take that circle to be the ecliptic or something else? This can be argued on both practical and theoretical grounds, but it is a different question from where the centre of the sphere is.

Hi Martin,

Congratulations on the book. :'

I would like to ask you: how many of the charts have you provided the chart data for?

I have your very useful book on primary directions, but a lot of the client chart data is withheld there. I notice the chart data is missing in the free pdf extract of this book as well, and I recognise the same Sagittarius Asc chart with the Sun, Jupiter and Saturn in Virgo.

I am asking as someone who practises these (and other) ancient techniques with the tropical Zodiac. I want to be able to recreate your results. Aside from the directions, everything else will be different. It is possible that even the sect of the chart would change in some of the revolutions.

So will astrologers who use the tropical measurement be able to use your book fully?

I hope you understand my intent. I also have clients and have agreed not to publish their full nativity without their written consent.

And may I say, it is refreshing to see a serious astrological book without the trans-saturnian planets. :D
Ancient and Chinese Astrology:

https://www.100percentastrology.com/

Thank you, Zagata. I decided this time to provide data for all charts used in the book, not least because it is generally possible (if a bit fiddly) to reverse-engineer the data anyway. I believe some software even includes that as a function.

You are absolutely right that the tropical revolutions will be different from the sidereal ones, not just in the zodiac used, but in the time they occur -- unless, of course, you use the hybrid solution of 'precessed tropical' revolutions. (I address that point in Chapter 5.) The directions through the terms will be entirely different, too, although the aspectual directions will stay the same.