Hello Knightinte,
The Moon is the mind. Mercury is more the mental reasoning.
Any kind of mental diseases will show up with a difficult Moon placement. It shows how we react to stress and the mechanisms of self-protection we put in place to face the world.
And it can be amplified if the Nodes are involved.
Full Moon phases are well known to bring patients in the emergencies.
Lunatic is an old term referring to a person who is seen as mentally ill, dangerous, foolish, or crazy, conditions once attributed to "lunacy". The word derives from the latin lunaticus meaning "of the moon" or "moonstruck".
To be more specific to your question with 'anxiety' or fear, I would say Saturn might also be involved.

Cheers!
Ouranos
Blessings!

I have serious social anxiety and always have had it. An astrologer once told me my Sun-Uranus opp indicates social anxiety. He wasn't wrong that I have it. He said it is an indication of making other people uncomfortable too, or alienating others. A lot of my friends have hard Sun-Uranus like I do and are socially awkward. I am a day chart. Maybe a night chart might have Moon-Uranus being more significant?

I can imagine hard Uranus showing difficult vibrations within the body/mind that make someone seem less at ease. I am the type of person who has a lot of nervous energy.

I also have Saturn stationary in the house of communications too though. Saturn deals with fears, especially those programmed early on. Additionally, Venus lords our social side and my Venus is very debilitated. I could honestly see any one of those three things possibly indicating some social anxiety.

When it comes to talking about concepts, work related things or teaching something, etc., I am fine, even confident, but when it is on a personal level, I get physical manifestations of anxiety, such as heart palpitations, sweating, thirst, and even a rash.

Hi, thank you both for your response Ouranos and Tanit. I am curious but I don't know how many types of social anxiety there are. What I was thinking about was avoiding social situations for fear of rejection, making a mistake etc. Also being nervous and shaky when socializing. I also wonder about Saturn and how it can affect our birth chart.

my take is one has to consider the whole chart.. it can be a lot of different factors, so perhaps the astrologer who looked at tanits chart figured it was the sun opp uranus, but it could be like ouranos said, and of course it could be as knightinte subtely wonders about too - saturn..

based on what you've said knightinte, it sounds like a saturn issue.. some kind of anxiety around making mistakes sounds like a strong saturn - maybe too strong and kind of dominating the chart in an unhelpful way... maybe strong saturn squaring onto a moon, personal planet, or something like that.. people can be hard on themselves...

so back to my basic comment - it can be many things and the whole chart would have to be considered.. why not post your chart and we can talk about it a wee bit??

When you mention rejection, I always think of Saturn. I could imagine hard Sun-Saturn, Venus-Saturn or Moon-Saturn showing some issues with social anxiety relating to rejection. I normally think of Sun-Saturn for men and Moon-Saturn for women being more significant but I am sure it doesn't matter since they are both luminaries. As James said though, we do always want to take the whole chart into consideration. In my case, I also have a 6th house Moon square Saturn, which is an indicator of a lone wolf and isolating yourself from others, which can relate to issues with rejection (mine stem from early programming - as often happens with Saturn).

I wonder about Saturn in 8th.

I don't know how many types of social anxiety there are. What I was thinking about was avoiding social situations for fear of rejection, making a mistake etc. Also being nervous and shaky when socializing.