Celestial recollections

In a recent conversation with a new friend, I was asked how I came to study astrology. It’s a common enough question, one I’m sure most members of this forum have had to field at some point or another. As usual, I gave a typical response that included the first authors I’d read, meeting my first teacher, and a quick rundown on how my studies have matured since then. But afterward, the question stayed with me the rest of the day and into the next, on the periphery of my thoughts: a sort of koan, or a coin that one keeps slowly turning in their fingers. This moment from when I was six years old, back in the summer of 1985, has followed me through the years. I recall it every so often, and when it comes, it’s one of my most visceral, vivid memories:

-- I’m lying on my back in the bed of my father’s red pickup truck; the tailgate’s down, it's late night, we’re at the drive-in movies. My brother, sister, and some of my cousins are nestled around me. We're there to see a double feature (The Goonies/Red Sonja), but I’m not interested in the giant screen. Instead, I’m captivated by the night sky. There are “shooting stars” everywhere, and they just keep coming. It’s the most beautiful thing my six-year-old eyes have ever seen. --

Looking back now, I believe that was the first time I truly felt awe at the mystery of the heavens. I wouldn’t come into contact with astrology until ten years later, but ever since then, I’ve always had my eyes fixed on the sky.

I know now that what I was observing then was the Perseids. And, of course, as an astrologer, I’ve looked up the transiting planets for 8/85 to see how my radix was being affected: Jupiter was in Aquarius, transiting my 10th house and sextiling my Sun while trining my Moon; Saturn was in Scorpio, opposing my ascendant and conjunct my radical Uranus; Uranus was in Sagittarius, opposite my Moon/trining my Sun.

Reflecting on this over the past few days has got me curious: Do any of you all have a similar experience that you'd care to share?

Re: Celestial recollections

Very beautiful memories, Jason. Thank you for sharing.

I don't have such beautiful memories. For a long time, I didn't understand why I liked astrology.

It wasn't until I read Ouranos' post that I was inspired to check the TransNeptunian Planets or what we call Points in my natal chart.
To be or not to be an astrologer

viewtopic.php?t=12133
I have UR/AP=CU in the 12th house. I enjoy being with astrologers and astrological organizations, especially those that are "distant" or from foreign countries (the 12th house - foreign, distant).

However, I am definitely interested in metaphysics and philosophy. JU/NE=MC.

The event that directly sparked my interest in astrology was my father's accident and passing. KR/NE=MO (VU). A significant unfortunate event involving a father or authority figure.

You might not agree with TransNeptunian Planets or Points, and that's okay. I don't intend to persuade you or anyone else.

Because I can't explain astrology with rational language. To me, astrology is an experience that one can only truly understand through personal involvement. (I have AP/AP=SA :-P )
Last edited by Wei on Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

thanks jason

that was a very beautiful story of your experience and memory.. i hope most of those people in your first experience are still around too.. perhaps you've shared this story with them as well as those asking about how you got started in astrology..

my own beginnings in astrology are more simple by comparison.. i was on a trip in a second hand car i bought for 100 bucks - an austin cambridge - to visit some friends in the interior of b.c.. i was 17 at the time and it was the fall season where the leaves are changing colour and the length of day has gotten shorter and the weather has an element of coldness to it... when i was with my friends at their place - they were living on 160 acres in a nice log cabin - i expressed the idea that perhaps there was a connection with the time of the year a person was born and the seasons... one of my friends said 'that sounds like something i read in an astrology book'.. this aroused my curiousity enough that when i got back to the coast - vancouver, where i was living at the time, i looked into it more and signed up for astrology lessons with sandy hughes in vancouver.. she was working out of pheonix bookstore in surrey at the time and taught me how to do charts - the old way before the advent of computers.. this was approx 1973 or thereabouts..

prior to this time i was very interested in metaphysical books, thru meeting a man named everett who ran a book store on hastings st called arcanum... this story might be more interesting, lol.. i would have been 15 or 16 at the time... i found all the books in his store quite fascinating and asked him what book he would recommend.. he said that if i read these 2 books, i wouldn't have to read any of the other books in the store! needless to say i did read those 2 books and that got me very interested in all the other books in his store! he must have been a good salesman, or i was a sucker! his bookstore focused on western mysticism for lack of a better label... he had started another bookstore earlier in his life in vancouver - which i was not privy to and which had ceased existing.. what happened was his partner in this book store ( i believe everett was a gemini tropical sun) and he decided to split the focus between eastern and western spiritual schools of thought and books focused on this broad topic... the other fellow started up banyen book store which is still going to this day and probably vancouvers best known bookstore for seeking any type of book on more spiritual or metaphysical topics and includes a section on astrology books too..

the books at everetts arcanum bookshop included books by people like joel goldsmith, charles fillmore, neville, and other authors focused less on a literal interpretation of christianity and more on a metaphysical one.. the metaphysical bible would be one of the titles for example, and etc. etc...

at around the age of 15-16 i was experiencing a neptune transit to my tropical scorpio ascendant with saturn at 2 sag.. i was also involved in drugs at the time which is fitting.. the last 2 years of high school were very interesting as a consequence.. i essentially dropped out of school at this time, by not attending much of any of it that i wasn't interested in - which was a lot of it! i never graduated either...

i have moon in scorpio on the ascendant and don't mind telling personal stories like this! and i appreciate it when others do too! thanks for your story... there is nothing celestial in my recollections, but i do love a starry sky at night... getting away from the city at the time and going to the interior, the view on the sky would have been a part of this, but i never thought about that.. maybe it was at the time, but i don't recall as clearly as you in the memory you shared..

Wei wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:38 am Very beautiful memories, Jason. Thank you for sharing.

I don't have such beautiful memories. For a long time, I didn't understand why I liked astrology. ...

... The event that directly sparked my interest in astrology was my father's accident and passing. KR/NE=MO (VU). A significant unfortunate event involving a father or authority figure.

You might not agree with TransNeptunian Planets or Points, and that's okay. I don't intend to persuade you or anyone else.

Because I can't explain astrology with rational language. To me, astrology is an experience that one can only truly understand through personal involvement. (I have AP/AP=SA :-P )
Hey there, Wei. I'm glad you found my post stimulating enough to share your experiences.

The mention you made of your father's accident and passing being a catalyst in your personal search for meaning is very relatable. My own journey in astrology got more serious when I was 15. That was the year I met my first "teacher" "randomly" at a funeral. My first couple of years of study were mainly focused on psychological/evolutionary styles of astrology. Those lenses were my teacher at the times' thing. But, in the years leading into my 20s, a series of tragedies happened to me and others I cared about, and I began to doubt the utility of astrology altogether - or, maybe it's more accurate to say I started to find gaping holes in the "new age" and "myth-based" psychological styles that the authors I'd been reading focused on. I found it all too flowery. I was hurting, the people around me were hurting, and I didn't give a [!expletive!] about whether we were on a "Hero's Journey" - I wanted something practical to work with and all the books I was reading seemed to be telling me that the whole chart was our minds and thus, our problems were derived from that - our minds; our own doing. That outlook didn't feel 100% honest or match what I was experiencing as reality. So I dropped astrology for years, but it never really left me - eventually, I ended up picking astrology back up, and that's when my focus turned toward the more concrete and traditional approaches. These days - I'm glad I've gotten an education that mixes different views. As I get older, my philosophy on life goes through its changes, too, and I can see the way each lens has a purpose. So, just so you know, I'm not anti or judgmental about using asteroids or trans-Neptunian planets - I believe each person should work with what resonates with them at the time. As you said, astrology is an experience that requires personal involvement. I'm glad to hear you've found some things that speak to you. And I can see why you do: Ouranos' posts have been a great source of information for me too, and I highly appreciate them.

I'll see you around :)

james_m wrote: thanks jason

that was a very beautiful story of your experience and memory..
The thanks flows both ways, James. You to me, now me to you. I really enjoyed reading what you shared. The details. It was like I was taking a stroll alongside you down memory lane. I love the mention you made of the change in light of the season. That's one of those natural experiences which, year after year, never ceases to move me deeply. And old bookshops - god, how I miss them. We've still got a few left in my area, but they aren't what they used to be.

Hi Jason,

I just felt quite sad, but I'm feeling calm. Don't worry; my sadness usually doesn't last for long. Haha.

Thank you for sharing your experiences and feelings. I understand that many people, including myself, have gone through unpleasant things.

Thank you.

Lately, I've been reflecting on a phrase that combines my understanding of what Buddha and Zhuangzi have said. Haha.

Everything we experience is false, our feelings are also false, and our "true selves" are free, without happiness or sadness. However, since we live on Earth, we have to be bound by experiences and sensory perceptions, considering them as fate. To give life purpose and meaning, personally, I think choosing "love" and "compassion" is better.

The above is my personal choice.

I remember a story I once read.

A child wrote a letter to a priest, asking: Why does it seem like being good doesn't bring any extra rewards?

The priest replied: Because being good itself is the greatest reward.

I like that story.

Wei wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:03 pm I remember a story I once read.

A child wrote a letter to a priest, asking: Why does it seem like being good doesn't bring any extra rewards?

The priest replied: Because being good itself is the greatest reward.

I like that story.
I like that story, too, Wei. Thanks for relaying it.

In response to your earlier message:
Wei wrote: Hi Jason,

Thank you. I really don't want to disrupt the aesthetic of this thread, but in the process of learning astrology and based on my personal experiences, I may not have many pleasant moments to share. I truly appreciate your allowing me to share my story in your post. It's a therapeutic process for me. Thank you.

No need to apologize. I've been through my fair share of tough times. I get it and can relate to much of what you shared, though I'm not sure I have your willingness to be so public about it. : ) You've got courage and such tender vulnerability. Thanks for showing that, and please know that in reading your thoughts, I see you and also feel seen.

I'll leave you with these two aphorisms I like (by Lee Seong-bok):

The subconscious needs the light of the conscious, and the conscious needs the energy of the subconscious, and what enables their mutual exchange is writing. But think of writing not as a jungle where beasts roam freely but a zoo with tamed animals.

Catching a mosquito and pressing it between the fingers leaves behind just a drop of moisture. Are human beings any different? Don't go off on doing bullshit philosophy. Once you do your loving and your working, the little bit you have left over you think of other people, and that's it. To live beautifully, believe in beauty.

hi wei

that is very beautiful and fascinating what you share in the post @ Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:19 pm..

cultivating a compassionate heart is extremely wise... kudos to you for recognizing the importance of this.. as for the story of being kidnapped with you were 1-2 years of age, that is also fascinating and i wonder how that has been resolved in you from some psychological or psychic point of view.. it would have been quite traumatic at the time, although you have, i am sure forgotten this consciously, i wonder if you are still trying to resolve it on some level? part of the reason i say this is based on your interaction with the fellow with moon in scorpio who visited you from taiwan and to a lesser extend your commentary on your husbands actions towards you..

i am no counselor, but something is going on here and i hope you are able to be conscious of what it is..

as for moon in scorpio people.. of course they will all be so different upon closer examination, it explains why sun sign or moon sign astrology breaks down very quickly.. very generally - the fellow who visited you had what sounds like some oppositions from moon in scorpio to mercury, mars and jupiter in taurus.. this is a potentially challenging set up for a number of reasons...

but i haven't even begun to highlight all the ways that a moon in any sign, can be so different from all these sign generalizations! is it a women or a mans chart? is it a day or a night chart? is it a full moon or a new moon chart? or, what is the moon phase? what are the aspects the moon is separating from and what is it applying to? is it angular or is it cadent?? is it early or late in the sign? i will give you the fact that their might be these 30 degree wedges and they might hold some relevance, but many of the other questions i ask, i have found to be equally or even more relevant when trying to understand the moon - or any planet in a persons chart for that matter..

i have always wondered why people, especially people interested in astrology are so reluctant to share their personal data with others interested in astrology.. for the sake of transparency, here is my birth data.. you take a look.. hopefully it will give you more insight into how every chart is unique and all the placements are unique too! none of it can be replicated in quite the same way!! march 29 1956.. 1050pm toronto, canada... cheers james

------------------
jason,

i was reminded of you in the past 2 days.. i decided to buy that book by brian clark, which ouranos had drawn my attention to in another thread.. i am 3/4 of the way thru the book.. in it, he mentions starring up at the starry sky around the age of 9 and because awestruck, like you! but not on that - he has a chapter on fate which really helps address your philosophical question in the other thread on fate verses free will that you had initiated.. the name of the book again is soul, symbol and imagination - the artistry of astrology 2019.... one of the reasons i bought this book was on the review from geoffrey cornelius, one of my favourite authors who wrote another book i strongly encourage others to read - the moment of astrology... well - there you have it!

james_m wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:53 am jason,

i was reminded of you in the past 2 days.. i decided to buy that book by brian clark, which ouranos had drawn my attention to in another thread.. i am 3/4 of the way thru the book.. in it, he mentions starring up at the starry sky around the age of 9 and because awestruck, like you! but not on that - he has a chapter on fate which really helps address your philosophical question in the other thread on fate verses free will that you had initiated.. the name of the book again is soul, symbol and imagination - the artistry of astrology 2019.... one of the reasons i bought this book was on the review from geoffrey cornelius, one of my favourite authors who wrote another book i strongly encourage others to read - the moment of astrology... well - there you have it!
Hey there James,

Thanks for the heads-up on that book. Seems maybe I'm "fated" to read it ;)

It's great to hear you mention Geoffrey Cornelius' The Moment of Astrology, it's one of my all-time favorite books! I feel a strong personal alignment with Cornelius' ideas. Whenever he's been the guest on a podcast or's posted something over on COA, I jump to take it in. I'm not much interested in conference-going, but a couple of years back I did attend the one that the AA puts together annually (tuned in from online), and one of the main reasons for my decision was that Geoffrey was presenting. Let me tell you, he did not disappoint!

Hi James,

Haha, I didn't expect you to see the deleted message.

I've forgotten about these things. On that day when I wrote the message, I was crying as I typed. I tend to cry easily. (When I'm emotionally sad, I feel like I can't think properly.)

My current mood is calm. I have begun preparing to write about the delineation of TNPs. (An inspiration struck, and I wanted to jot it down quickly.)

Yesterday, chatting with ChatGPT reignited my interest in physics and chemistry. (It's a distant memory, and I've forgotten that I used to be very fond of these natural sciences, finding the observation of the natural world quite fascinating.)

No, no, no, I have no bias or hatred towards Moon Scorpios.

Thank you for sharing your natal chart. At the moment, I prefer not to share my own chart, not because I want to keep it a secret... I also don't wish to engage in private conversations with anyone for now.

I would like some time and space alone.

I've looked at our synastry chart, and we have many close aspects, especially with your Zeus, Kronos, and Ascendant the connection between my Part of the Father.

Zeus and Kronos both bear Father significance, concurrently representing powerful forces.

I want to become stronger, to be able to protect myself, so that those around me no longer need to worry about my safety.

For now, that's all I want to share. I need some time for my thoughts to settle. I've been feeling quite inspired lately, and I want to document my thoughts.

Thank you so much; I'm delighted to have encountered you on this forum. I feel like I've gained a certain level of spiritual strength.

My idols include Deb and Jane. Despite their age, they continue to work hard to pursue their dreams and actualize themselves. They encourage me to realize that pursuing one's dreams doesn't have to be constrained by age.

I've wasted too much time... spent too much time searching for my path...and crying.... but perhaps these experiences are necessary.

I want to express my gratitude to Jason for his kindness and understanding. I often find myself misunderstood and criticized by those around me. They perceive me as immature, as if I haven't grown up.

Thank you, thank you. Besides expressing gratitude, I'm not sure what else to say.

I have to pause; otherwise, I might start crying again. I need to calm down and jot down my inspiration.

Wei