Superman - A Venus Avatar

Christopher Reeve
Born: 25 Sept 1952 3h12 Manhattan, NY

Superman – Profection 1978
Christopher Reeve is remembered as being the character of 'Superman' in the 70's. When I started looking at his chart, I was surprised to find Venus highlighted at the peak of his career.

This is when the Ruler of ASC (Sun) met the Ruler of his MC (Venus in Rulership in Libra) See above
The movie was released in December 1978
- At that time, by Primary Direction, his Sun in Libra L1 conjunct MercuryL2 had entered Venus (Ruler of 10th House) by parallel to follow with the conjunction in the following 2 years.
– 1978 was a Libra Profection Year highlighting his planets in Libra
– Progressed ASC in Virgo was in the Bound of Venus in Virgo

The director of the movie Richard Donner said
"By the late 1970s, the masculine image had changed... Now it was acceptable for a man to show gentleness and vulnerability. I felt that the new Superman ought to reflect that contemporary male image." Reeve's Venus in Libra is showing that side.
Typical to Air Sign, to make Superman fly, but the best special effect of all was Christopher Reeve himself. “We discovered very early on that he, being a glider pilot, could hold his body aerodynamically. So when he got into the harness, the whole shot began to come alive.???
The film generated profits of $300M but he only made $500,000 for the 1st and 2nd movie of the series. With the Sun L1 in Fall in Libra burning Mercury L2, we can presume that these numbers are not accurate and that hidden transactions took place considering the gross revenues the films generated. Sometimes, L2 burned by the Sun indicates that people practice wilful blindness or they are hiding money.

Accident - May 27, 1995 in Culpepper, Virginia,

Reeve embraced a hobby, equestrian show jumping, in the 1980s. During a competition on May 27, 1995 in Culpepper, Virginia, Reeve's horse suddenly stopped before a jump, throwing him off and causing a devastating spinal cord injury.
“ In a question or nativity, if you see the querent lame naturally, crooked, or vitiated in some member, and on the sudden you can in the figure give no present satisfaction to your self, do you then consider the degree ascending, or degree wherein the Moon is in, or the lord of the Ascendant, or principal lord of the nativity or question, and there is no doubt that you shall find one or more of them in azimene degrees. (CA., p.118)
“Mars creates infirmities or sufferings that come from bruises, iron or fire, falls or blows; As for Sagittarius and Gemini, they have significance on falls, epilepsy, paralysis???. (Rhetorius, Astrological Compendium,p.114)

The azimene degrees are:

Taurus 6, 7, 8, 10
Cancer 9 to 15
Leo 18, 27, 28
Scorpio 19, 25
Sagittarius 1, 7, 8, 18, 19
Capricorn from 26 to 29
Aquarius 18, 19

https://www.skyscript.co.uk/gl/degree_types.html

Let's look at Reeve's natal chart:

1) The ASC is at 19 Leo 05 (maybe a few minutes earlier it would be in an Azimene degree) conjunct the South Node. And the ASC is the Hyleg of the chart.
2) Mars at 18 Sag 15 is in an Azimene degree and the Moon applies to it.
3) The Part of Infirmity (also called The Lot of Affliction, the Lot of Injury, Lot of Chronic Illness, Lot of Accusation) is at 16 Gem 52. Conjunct Fortuna and opposite Moon/Mars
Dorotheus has established the fate of infirmity, which is taken in the day fromSaturn to Mars and launches the interval from the horoscope, at night the reverse (Note: Night from Mars to Saturn ASC+SA-MA)
4) Mercury, the Ruler of The Part of Fortune and the Part of Infirmity is being burned by the Sun.
Vettius Valens in Book 1, 18 says “A destructive star in conjunction or in aspect to Fortuna will be responsible for loss of goods and sickness of the body.???
Ptolemy in Centiloquium XCI “It is a bad sign, when the person's Ruler is burned, especially if Fortuna is afflicted.???
5) Anareta or destrutive force (ASC + L1 Sun – Moon is at 8 Gem 44 which happens to be the same as Fortuna

Primary Directions 27 May 1995
- Morin software give us by Primary Direction Saturn squaring Mars 23/5/1995

Circumambulation through the bounds
Between 1993 and 2002, using the circumambulation through the bounds (the term that the progressed ASC has reached), at 22 Vir 11, he is in the term of Mars.

SR 25 Sept 1994
SR Moon and Fortuna are in Gemini opposite natal Moon/Mars and conjunct natal Fortuna and Part of Infirmity square SR Saturn.

Profection 25 Sept 1994
- At 42 years old, the Profected ASC was in Aquarius in the 7th House
We need to keep an eye on Saturn during this year.
When the accident happened, transiting Saturn was at 23 Pis 26 opposing the Progressed ASC (Hyleg of the chart)

Lunar Return 28 May 1995
Lunar returns from the Solar Return, not the Natal work well to trigger the Solar Return.
He fell from his horse May 27th.
The Moon had entered her Waning Crescent about to make a Lunar Return in Gemini on the 29th with the Sun having entered Gemini a few days earlier and Mars Ingress in Virgo triggering the Solar Return Moon.

Reeve died in 2004 after having a heart attack and falling into a coma. He had been fighting a serious infection caused by a pressure wound.

Azimene degrees are related to Nebulae made up of dust, basic elements such as hydrogen and other ionized gases.
In Reeve's chart, we find the Nebulae NGC 6302 at 18 Sag 26 conjunct Mars
NGC 6302 (also known as the Bug Nebula, Butterfly Nebula or Caldwell 69) is a bipolar planetary nebula in the constellation Scorpius. How revealing for Superman to have the Butterfly Nebula in his chart.
Blessings!

Ouranos
I enjoyed your astrological workout of Christopher Reeves, Is the Hyleg preferred according to Valens, as I never know which astrologer gives the right formulation for Hyleg i.e Ptolemy,Porphyry,Paulus Alexandinus,Omar Tiberiades,Alcabitius,Abenragel,or Regiomontanus

Thank you Zosma,

I use Astro Fox 0.8 - online software based in Germany.
https://af.cpptea.com/astrofox.php

He seems to favor Lilly with a blend of Ptolemy with a twist. 'We recommend taking Ptolemy's methods with some reservation. Our stance is that his work was rather on the theoretical than on the practical side.'

Brief summary to determine the Hyleg:

First the Sun and the Moon should be looked at. In order to be the Hyleg, the Sun must either be in the houses I, X or XI. Or in a masculine sign and in the houses VII, VIII, IX. If the Sun is not the Hyleg, then the Moon shall be looked at.
In order to be the Hyleg, the Moon needs to be in a feminine sign, and in one of the houses: I, II, IV, V, VII, VIII, X, XI.
If the Moon is not the Hyleg, then there are two more points to look at: Fortuna and Asc. If the Moon is waning, the order to look at them is Fortuna and Asc, else Asc and Fortuna. If there is a planet that has some dignity at these points, and is placed in a sign that sees the sign of the point (Whole House ptolemeic aspect), the point is the Hyleg.

For the charts of Reeve I used Alcabitius in Morin software as recommended by Martin Gansten

The software does all the calculations.

Cheers!
Ouranos
Blessings!

With 20 events and using Primary directions in Topocentric system I rectified his chart to 02.54.48 EDT Asc 15Leo41’.
Remember there is no birth time on his Birth Certificate and the time 3.12 am is from memory. My rectification is 17 min earlier.
His Epoch, according to Alexander Marr’s system, was rectified to 31 December 1951 2.43.44 GMT Asc 10Vir42’.
In his radix, Sun and Mercury conjunct cusp 3rd, in exact sextile with helio Venus and exact trine with helio Mars. Helio Mars in square MC- ACCIDENT.
In his Epoch, helio Mercury, helio Venus and helio Mars are in triple conjunction rising.
The main primary directions in Topocentric for his accident:
Mars 0 Asc E/E 7’
Saturn 60 III R/E 5’
Asc 0 Saturn E/E 11’
Asc 0 Uranus R/E 7’
MC 180 Mercury R/E 8’
In the radix, secondary progressed Mercury is 90 cusp 8th orb 6’
Regressed Mercury is conjunct S. Node orb 17’
Progressed Mars 180 Uranus!!
Regressed Sun is conjunct regressed SN and regressed Pluto and 90 regressed Mars!!!
In the lunar return, precession corrected, Node conjunct MC. In the converse lunar return Saturn is on MC
In the converse solar return, Pluto on Asc, Saturn conjunct radical MC!. Mercury and Mars conjunct radical Sun and Mercury.

Thank you Isaac for researching a more accurate birthtime for Reeve.
By Secondary motion, this would put the pr ASC (Hyleg) squaring natal Mars as well.
Mars is really problematic in his birth chart and I do not want to scare people off if they have a planet or even Mars at 18 Sagittarius.
It is a combination of positions I already mentioned
1) The ASC is at 19 Leo 05 -> Correction to be considered
2) Mars at 18 Sag 15 is in an Azimene degree and the Moon applies to it.
3) The Part of Infirmity at 16 Gem 52. Conjunct Fortuna and opposite Moon/Mars
4) Mercury, the Ruler of The Part of Fortune and the Part of Infirmity is being burned by the Sun.
5) Anareta or destructive force (ASC + L1 Sun – Moon is at 8 Gem 44 which happens to be the same as Fortuna -> This would fall earlier but still in the axix
6) SR, Lord of the Profection and Lunation
Plus all the research you did which fits the ASC (Hyleg) closer in the picture. I note especially PD Topocentric Mars cj ASC, ASC cj Saturn, SD Pr Mars opp Uranus.

Thank you again for your approach!
Ouranos
Blessings!

Indeed, Superman as interpreted by Reeve was the friendly and gentle superhero of the day, as the Sun in Libra, reinforced by his ruler Venus in her own sign, suggest.

Whereas Reeve's facial features speak to his Leo ASC. Not to forget the fact that Superman is clearly a solar hero, receiving his powers from the Sun, but vulnerable to (lunar) magic. - It is interesting to see, how the roles played by an actor or actress frequently reflect his/her own natal chart.

And given the role that the Moon and especially Mars in Sagittarius played in Reeve's accident (as Ouranos showed), I find it quite revealing that it happened during a horse jumping competition.

Visit my blog:
https://michaelsternbach.wordpress.com/