Conception and Birth - Mario Costantino

Here is an interesting article on the relationship between conception and birth I have found on the website of Mario Costantino
https://www.astrologiaclassica.it/wordp ... ostantino/

For the pics, please visit his webpage for a better quality rendition.

Mario Costantino has been interested in astrology, psychology and diagnosis of personality, since 1984, through readings, courses and several in-depth studies. His website "contains notions of classical astrology, articles and columns, examples of nativity and wants to offer a space specifically dedicated to give advice on astrological questions, by e-mail or by other means, as well as simply to approach, those who wish, the basic notions in use among the classical astrologers."

Note: In Planetdance, > Medieval > Trutine of Hermes

The Trutine of Hermes is a rectification method of the birth time based on the Moon, which is a natural significator of women and pregnancy. More info under Help in this section and the information provided here by Mario Costantino, which is remarkable from a traditional perspective. I have verified with a couple of charts I know are accurate and it seems to work well. For example, for my daughter her conception ASC falls right on the Ruler of my ASC. And her conception Moon is 2 degrees away from her natal ASC. For my wife, her natal Moon is right on our daughter's Moon on the cusp of the conception 4th House.
What I knew so far on the connection between conception and birth was mainly from A.T. Mann 'Life Time Astrology', published in 1984. Basically, he explains that the conception starts on the 9th House Cusp, the MC is when the mother receives the confirmation that she is pregnant and the journey goes on up to the ASC.
Another hint Mann provides is the relationship between the Sun (father) and Moon (mother), whichever is above the Horizon signifies the 'conscious desire' to have a child. Below the Horizon signifies that the parents have an 'unconscious desire' for a child or differently said that they let the Nature follow its course.
-----------------------------------------
CONCEPTION AND BIRTH
Mario Costantino
April 15, 2012

Introduction

The determination of the moment of conception and the meaning attributed to it constituted one of the fundamental questions of the astrological doctrine, which involves medical observation for the health of the child in training and the examination of the temperamental crasis.
This is a complex question, which is still open, which requires further investigation. In Renaissance, Medieval, Arabic and Greek literature, the body of doctrine is lacking, one could say incomplete. While there is a large amount of theoretical writings on conception and embryology, philosophical reflections on the relationship between conception and birth, arguments on the formation of the embryo according to harmonic laws regulated by the stars, as regards the description of the technique of calculating the moment of conception starting from birth, all the treatises report the same method, the Trutine of Hermes, which in some respects is unsatisfactory. Only recently, an examination of a Byzantine manuscript of the 14th century. a more complete calculation can be reconstructed. It is a text by an anonymous author who is not affected by Arab or Persian intermediaries, so it can be assumed that it is a copy of a Greek original no later than the 6th century. A.D
The text follows a hairesis criterion [1], taking into account the position of the Sun with respect to the horizon (in the day and at night) and of the Moon with respect to the Sun.

Principles

In this complex topic we can say that the fundamental similarities that exist between conception and birth concern the most important significators of life: Sun , Moon and Ascendant (horoscope):
Sun: we observe the relationship between the Sun of birth and the Sun of conception to understand if life is possible or the presence of any difficulties;
<PIC>

Moon: we observe the lunar phases in birth and conception, generally there is the similarity of the phase or the re-proposition of the same lunar phase;
<PIC>

Moon and Ascendant: the most important analogy between conception and birth is given by the respective positions of the Moon and the Ascendant that exchange places. This principle is the basis of the conception calculation technique known as Hermes' Trutine and is stated in Proposition 51 of the Pseudo Ptolemaic Centiloquium where it is said that:
"The place where the Moon is at the moment of birth rose at the moment of conception and, vice versa, the place where the Moon is at conception that is the place of the horoscope (of the Ascendant) at the moment of birth".
<PIC>

This same rule, according to what Demophilus reports , we can trace it back, in a more articulated form, to Petosiris which poses the possibility of a correspondence between the Moon and the Ascendant through the opposite points, giving completeness to the method:
“The place where the Moon is at conception will rise at the moment of birth, or its opposite. And the place where the Moon is in childbirth, that at the moment of conception stood for ???.

In this articulated form, as we said before, a hairesis criterion is respected by observing the position of the Sun with respect to the horizon (if it is day or night) and of the Moon with respect to the Sun: the average time is set to the east during the day, west at night; on the opposite side is the shorter time if the Moon and the Sun are in the same hemisphere, day or night, the longer time if they are in different hemispheres. For the rest, the procedure is identical.

<PIC>

In diurnal births the average time of 273 days is marked by the rising of the Moon on the Ascendant, which is the place of solar and diurnal hairesis; in nocturnal births the average time of 273 days is marked by the setting of the Moon in the west, which is the place of lunar and nocturnal hairesis; the time exceeds the average when the Moon is above the horizon at night, or below the horizon during the day; the time is less than average when the Moon is below the horizon at night or above the horizon during the day. The time is therefore greater than the average when one of the two luminaries has the absolute lordship of his hairesis, and the two luminaries are in different hemispheres, otherwise it is less than the average.

<PIC>

Of conception

In this investigation [2] the general concept is that the star afflicted at the moment of conception shows a corresponding affliction in the month that that star governs and according to the organs that the star represents.
The first month of pregnancy is governed by Saturn which holds, freezes the semen and "coagulates" it in its new location, the second by Jupiter which moves the semen like a wind and arouses the nausea of ​​the pregnant mother, the third month is governed by Mars which is planet of blood and will change the seed in its nature and heat. The seed remains under the disposition of Mars until, in the fourth month, the governance passes to the Sun which removes, with its dryness, the superfluous humidity and completes its soul which will receive the vigor within itself and take a shape. Human. In the fifth month the governance passes to Venus and the shape of the limbs is formed, the characteristics will appear, the hair, will take the sensitive faculty. In the sixth month the governance is of Mercury , the planet of speech and of the intellectual faculty: its tongue will move, its limbs will stretch and the fetus will beat in the uterus, with hands and feet, always with greater force. In the seventh month the governance is of the Moon and, since (the baby in the womb) is formed in all its parts and there is sufficient vigor in the limbs, if it were born in this month it would be complete and fit for life. If, on the other hand, it remained in the womb until the eighth month, the governance would return to Saturn again, which cools and freezes it in accordance with its nature, so that throughout that month there will be coldness in the fetus: if therefore it were born, it would be little suited to life and, often, babies born in the eighth month either are born dead or die as soon as they are born . Finally, in the ninth month, the governance returns to Jupiter and, by the nature of Jupiter, whoever is born is generally vital. It should therefore be known that those born in the months assigned to Saturn , Mars , Sun and Mercury soon die and are born dead, especially if the aforementioned four planets were injured (badly arranged). But in the months attributed to Jupiter , Venus and the Moon the progression that favors life takes place (passages from Albubater's text on the domains of the months of gestation).

Considerations

The figure of conception is especially useful for understanding congenital diseases as it shows us how the embryo is formed in the womb and therefore allows us to understand something especially about perfection or the imperfection of organs and limbs (organic matter and physical being). At the same time, in this process of formation of the body (its organic parts), since the physical being is closely connected to the soul "which moves it", there are necessary correspondences between "body and soul". Furthermore, according to reflections that are of a philosophical nature, we can say that from conception we do not make conjectures about what happens in the life of the person because what is shown in the figure of conception is "independent of world events". To understand the events and the destiny of the person we must refer to the figure of the moment of birth (of the nativity), because it is in that moment that the "connection" with the events of life is born.

Note

[1] Hairesis - faction - sect: the faction leaders are the Sun , for the party, the hairesis, the diurnal sect , and the Moon for the nocturnal hairesis . For Hairesis we mean “the diurnal or nocturnal condition of a star, its belonging to the day or night faction; the concordance between the faction of the ruling planets and the time of birth (diurnal or nocturnal) is fundamental for the judgment. The planets that respect their own hairesis (in diurnal geniture the diurnal, in nocturnal geniture the nocturnal) operate in the best way, according to nature and justice; those who do not respect their hairesis operate in the opposite way, with obstacles and difficulties. Respect for hairesis does not indicate a greater strength on the planet but a better way of operating. Other conditions of respect of the hairesis are for the diurnal, being above the horizon, having increasing light and being in a masculine sign, for the nocturnal to be below the horizon
[2] On the question of conception we indicate, among the many works and authors:
A. Delatte , Les harmonies dans embryologie hippocratique Mèlanges P. Thomas, Bruges 1930, pp. 160-171. According to F. Cumont ( L'opuscole de Jean Pèdiasimos , Revue Belge de Philologie et d'Histoire, 1923, pp. 5-21, the speculations that make gestation a melody and abortion a false note would refer to Posidonio and its interpretation of the myth of Timaeus on the creation of the soul.
Hippocrates , D and victu I, 6-10.
Albubater , Liber nativitatum , first chapter .
Censorino , De die natali , chapter 7, 9, 11 .
From the Harmony Manual , in: Die Harmonielehre des Klaudios Ptolemaios , edited by I. Durino, “Goteborg Hogskolas Aesskrrft???, n. 36 of 1930.

BIBLIOGRAPHY

Vettii Valentis Anthologiarum libri novem ed. D. Pingree, Leipzig 1986.
Vettius Valens d'Antioche . Anthologies, livre I (edited by J. Fr. Bara), Leiden 1989.
J. Vernet , An astrological obstetrics tractat, Boletin de la Real Accademia de Buenas Letras de Barcelona, ​​n. 2, 1949, pp. 69-96.
Claudius Ptolemy , Opera vol. III / 2: De iudicandi facultate et animi principatu; Pseudo-Ptolemaei Fructus sive Centiloquium, ed. AE Boer, Leipzg 1961
Albumasar (Abû Ma'shar Ja'far ibn Muhammad al Balkhî), Albumasaris de revolutionibus nativitatum edidit D. Pingree, Leipzig 1968.
Ali Aben Ragel, El libro conplido en los iudizios de las estrellas, translated into Toledo in the court of Alfonso X el Sabio, año 1254; traducción de los ocho libros conplidos del Arabe, Castellano medieval y Latín; colectivo de traductoras / es y astrológas / os de la Antigua Corona de Aragón, 1988/1997; talleres gráficos de Navarro & Navarro.
Antiochus of Athens , Excepta, CCAG 8/3 104-119.
Claudio Tolemeo , Tetrabiblos, edited by FE Robbins, Loeb 1940, rist 1980; Italian edition edited by S. Feraboli, Astrological predictions, Milan 1985
Placido Titi , Tabulae primo mobilis cum thesibus ad theoricen et canonibus ad praxin additis in rerum demonstrationem et supputationem exemplum triginta clarissimorum natalium thematibus, author D. Placido de Titis Perusino Olivetano, P. Frambotti, Patavii 1657
Placido Titi , De diebus decretoriis at aegrorum decubitu ad iuvandaml praeclaram Artisi Medicae Professionem iuxta Summorum Pontificum et Sacri Concilii Tridentini induktum, Epitome Astrosophica, Physicis maxime rationibus, deinde Galeni, Aristotelis et Ptusacidoxino praecisi D. Gymnasio Mathematicarum Professor publice exhibita. Cum LX Exemplis apud gravissimos Authores inventis. Tomus primus, ex officina Ioannis Andreae Magrij in via Nova, Ticini Regii 1660. Tomus secundus (Cum L Natalium Exemplis partim apud gravissimos Authores inventis, partim ab eruditorum manu traditis) ex officina Ioannis Ghidini, Ticini Regii 1665.
Placido Titi , Phsiomathematica sive Coelestis Philosophia naturalibus hucusque Desideratis ostensa Principis. Auctore D. Placido de Titis Perusino Olivetanae Congregationis Monacho. Cum nuperrimisi ad Placidianam doctrinam additamentis, excerptis ex III book Astronomicarum rerum praemittendarum ad futuram Astrologiam Italicum, in Cursino Francobacci et Africano Scirota Romano, in hac secunda editione ad operis calcem oppositis. Ex Typographia Br. Vigoni, Mediolani 1675. Gerolamo Cardano, Opera Omnia tomus V (Astronomical, Astrological, Onirocritica) Lugduni 1663. (Johnson Reprint Co., New York and London 1967).
Rhetorius , De planetarum natura ac vi, CCAG 7 213ss.
Gerolamo Vitali , Lexicon Mathematicum, astronomicum geometricum, hoc est Rerum omnium ad utramque immo et ad omnem fere Mathesim quomodocumque spectantium, Collectio et explicatio. Adjecta short novorum Theorematum expensione, verborumque exoticorum dilucidatione ut non injuria Disciplinarum omnium Mathematicarum summa, et Promptuarium dic possit. Auctore Hieronymo Vitali Capuano Clerico Regulari vulgo Theatino. Parisiis, ex officina L. Billaine 1668.
Giuseppe Bezza , Commentary on the first book of Claudio Ptolemy's Tetrabiblos, with a new translation and interpretations by the major commentators, Milan 1992.
Giuseppe Bezza , Arcana Mundi, Milan 1995.
RH Allen , Star names and their meanings, New York 1899.
Robert De Luce , Complete method of prediction from genethliac astrology, according to the western systems, 1935.
Last edited by Ouranos on Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
Blessings!

If I may add for the records. And I am not sure if other men have ever felt this before. I conceived my daughter in 'consciousness'.
Let me explain this briefly.
As a couple, we were going through a 'passionate' period so to speak and one evening as we were making love, something came up in my mind, as a mantra 'I want to have a baby'... 'I want to have a baby'... And it kept coming back.
Kind of weird! At least not the kind of thing you expect to stick in your mind like this. So many other things to think about after all!
And one month later, my wife announced me that she was pregnant.
Not sure if this is part of my daughter's Sun in Leo in the 4th House.
Blessings!