Academic Dissertation on Professionnalization of Astrology

In L'Echo d'Hermes # 55 p. 35 Jacques Tondreau
( jacques.tondreau@gmail.com ) wrote this communication.
"Professionnaliser la pratique astrologique"
https://www.coursastrologiebordeaux.fr/ ... rm%C3%A8s/

He is talking about a dissertation presented by Lisa M. Lipscomb from the New School for Social Research of New York, a research she has made on the profession of astrology.
"On the Cusp of Legitimacy: Professionnalization of the Field of Astrology"
This was presented in partial fulfillment of the requirements for her degree of Doctor of Philosophy in February 2020.

To obtain a PDF copy, you can send her an email to Lisa M. Lipscomb - lipsl047@newschool.edu

In her intro she says,

"The literature on professions and professionalization, work and occupations, and organizational legitimacy provides the theoretical framework for this study. I show that astrology has some characteristics of a profession but has not achieved the autonomy and control associated with successful professionalization. In this dissertation, I compare the occupation of astrology, at the macro and micro levels, and its professionalization efforts with that of chiropractic, acupuncture, homeopathy, massage therapy, and various other practices that fit under the umbrella of Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM).

At the macro-level, I address collective understandings of astrology as an occupation, professional astrology organizations, and other collectives of astrologers. At the micro-level, I highlight how astrologers try to substantiate their status as professionals. My analysis reveals how the macro and micro affect astrologers' collective professionalization efforts. I argue that efforts to professionalize astrology are complicated by astrologers' multiple conceptions of astrology's occupational identity, a lack of a deliberate and unified professionalization strategy, and differing perspectives about how to professionalize and what professionalization would mean for the field.

I want to extend my deepest appreciation to the astrologers who welcomed me into their organizations, conferences, and practices with open arms. This dissertation would not have been possible without your support and excitement for my work. Thank you for sharing your stories with me. In particular, I owe a debt of gratitude to Donna Woodwell who was an invaluable resource early in my research."
-----------------

This precedes an article by Dan Waites on The Mountain Astrologer website which has a resonance with the Uranus/North Node in Taurus - An Era of Practical Astrology?
https://mountainastrologer.com/sorry-sk ... in-taurus/
Blessings!

Sounds very interesting and from that summary information, it sounds about right :) And how much more complicated things are about to get? Things have changed tremendously in just the last couple of years alone, so the protective boundaries around this subject once held by the organisations are all up for review.

the protective boundaries around this subject once held by the organisations are all up for review.
Yes Deb, she devotes a whole chapter on each organization's mission, constitution, or purpose statement (Kepler, ISAR, NCGR, AFA and AFAN).
My own take is that each organization is defined by who leads it.
And today, our field is so open with the web and all the new vectors in astrology that it is difficult to stay in tune with everything, if not impossible.
Old models need to be reviewed as the power is being decentralized. And the astrologers on the foreground are not always those you expect by their knowledge but those who can master the new technologies.
Blessings!