Making the big switch to Traditional techniques...

I started off back in 1973, reading everything I could get my hands on. I gradually evolved, relying on Ebertin, as I just couldn't deal with "psychobabble".

Now I am working hard, getting back to the basics. But, it isn't easy! At the moment I am working on the chart of a sibling, and want to delineate it in practical terms. Any help would be so much appreciated, for I worry about objectivity.

Here is the birthdate....

YG, 19 May, 1946
4:54 PM
Manhattan, NY.

I am working on it, and any and all comments pointing me in the proper direction would be appreciated! I am struck by the nice Jupiter/Venus connection, but am a bit worried about the Cancer/Capricorn conflict.

Then, there is the Mercury/Mars issue. That is where I am a bit "stuck"....

TIA!

Hi housemouse,

I am new to the forum, too. If I were making the ?big switch? to trad I would begin by determining temperament and planetary condition. This includes essential and accidental dignity, debility, almuten, sect, reception, conjunctions and aspects to benefics and malefics, then other aspects. If you have not already read them, Deb Houlding?s articles Understanding Dignity and Debility and Lilly?s Use of Reception on this site are excellent.

Unless I put in the prep work I get lost in the chart. Once the conditions are known, I begin at the ascendant, planets in the 1st house, asc ruler with the most dignities, domicile ruler ? keeping in mind the chart temperament and almuten. Your sibling?s asc is Libra conjunct a prominent fixed star, Spica, considered a highly fortunate and lucky star. Robson says it could indicate a spiritual vocation or inclination. More so with the Jupiter conjunction. I don?t always begin with a fixed star, only if its prominent ? and this one is.

My training is to look for what motivates someone, what makes them happy (called prime motivation) then to see if it is achievable. The domicile ruler Venus is in the 9th associated by Lilly with journeys, dreams and religion (third indicator for a spiritual inclination, or related area). Plus, philosophy, higher learning and publishing. Venus is in Gemini, so the prime motivation is freedom of movement and communication in a Venusian manner through affairs of the 9th house. It is trine the asc and unafflicted ? a very good start. Plus it trines the rx Jupiter with reception and is in mutual reception with Mercury. One drawback is Venus is peregrine (has no essential dignity). Dignity gives a planet strength - peregrine may not have the strength to realize its goals right away (towards happiness on the inner planes). It could just wander.

Many people would look at planets in the 1st before looking at the 1st house ruler/almuten. Planets in a house do trump the ruler for the affairs of the house. It's just my preference. I believe happiness is a virtue and I can?t seem to make head or tail of a chart until I resolve it?s prime motivator. Then I look to the Sun, Moon and almuten (which I have not computed here) to see if they help or hinder the prime motivator. Technically, neither the Sun or Moon afflict Venus, but they do not help Venus either. This could lead to some confusion of direction. Some fixed stars for you to check out with the Sun. Then I get back to planets in the 1st and so on. For example, the Jupiter-Saturn square on the ASC and MC angles in mutual reception by exhaltation! Where does a person go with that besides wrestle it on and on unless they had some help focusing on their prime motivation. Even when one adapts the square to good result (mutual exhaltation reception) one can become monopolized by the success yet never feel fulfilled.

Hope this helps. Welcome to the big switch. You?re sure to enjoy the results. :D

Tia,
I'm a bit confused.... you said you're working on the chart of "a sibling"... do you mean YOUR sister or brother? Is this a male of female?

When I do a chart for anyone, my starting point is determining what this person wants to know - what is this person's intention regarding having a serious chart reading.... a chart is a whole life - are you going to deal more with the past? present? future?.... what types of questions brought this situation to you...

and also, if this IS a sister or brother and you have a personal interest, does this reading have something to do with your wanting to give him/her "help"... I mean help of a practical kind.... useful help?
There are so many ways to read a chart... you have to know where you are "starting from".
Lainie
Lainie