There was a different way of treating orbs and application so a planet that might be defined as ?unaspected? in modern astrology might not be defined that way traditionally.
Rather than seeing the chart as a static picture, astrologers involved more appreciation of where a planet was coming from and where it was moving to, both in terms of the other planets it met and the state it was in.
So the only planet that would be termed ?unaspected? was one that passed through a sign without making any aspectual contact with another. I don?t have my references with me at the moment but from memory I believe Firmicus referred to such a planet as ?running through a vacuum? and he seems to imply that it has little consequence. I also recall Lilly making a reference to a planet being unaspected by any other ?and therefore free to do as it pleases? (I?m paraphrasing from memory ? when I come across my references up I?ll be a bit more exact).
An unaspected planet wouldn?t have deserved any special attention unless it was acting as a significator, and then its freedom from aspect would suggest that it was roaming freely. This could be a good thing or a bad thing depending upon the circumstances of the chart.

In Medieval Astrology an unaspected planet in the natal chart was known as "feral". sometimes this was considered a detriment. unless the planet has good quality and quantity it is receiving no help, and if it is in good condition, then its good is limited to the house it is in and rules. it cannot lend hand to other areas of life.

Hi,

Since aspects show influences, feral planets are uninfluenced and signify being alone, or things or activities done alone or accomplished by themselves. Morinus says feral planets always show something unusual. This can be good or bad depending on the planet. A strong planet in strong dignities might produce what it promises, whereas a weak and undignified one cannot.

Example: in a delineation of sexuality/marriage, I saw a feral Venus in Gemini, in either the 5th or 6th. So she was unaspected and without dignities. The native told me that while she did enjoy sex when it happened, she really had no interest in it, did not seek it out, had been sexually inactive for years.

Example: Morinus says a feral Saturn in the 1st makes the native a monk or hermit.

Best,
Ben
www.bendykes.com
Traditional Astrology Texts and Teaching

Since aspects show influences, feral planets are uninfluenced and signify being alone, or things or activities done alone or accomplished by themselves.
What about the dispositor, the ruling planet of the sign that the planet is in? I was under the impression that a planet is influenced by its dispositor and possibly looks to it for help. Since the planets are always in a sign they will always have a dispositor, and therefore are never truly alone and on their own. Have I misunderstood the influence and power of the dispositor? Or is it possibly a question of the differences of influence provided by aspecting planets and dispositors?

Hi,

Yes, since every planet is in a sign, a dispositor will always matter in some way. Being in a sign is like being in a house or country, whereas aspects are like people you're in contact with. I would say the way to look at a dispositor is in terms of whether the feral planet itself has dignities in its position -- it would have more strength to do its own thing. For instance, a feral planet in its own domicile (Venus in Libra) would be better than if peregrine (in Gemini) and better still than if in fall (Virgo). It's better to be alone in your own land (domicile) than alone and totally dependent on the state of your ruler (peregrine), and better still than being alone in a foreign land where you are actually weak (fall).

Ben
www.bendykes.com
Traditional Astrology Texts and Teaching