cazimi

I'm looking at a chart with Mercury in Cazimi in Pisces. The person seems to really struggle with 'thinking'. Particulary as regards thinking rationally, logically, following arguments and so on.

However as it's in Pisces (Detriment and Fall) you would expect this to some extent. But it's supposed to be strengthened in Cazimi. So here I'm assuming traditionalists would say the way Mercury thinks intuitively and learns through osmosis is strengthened.

I had a look at Howard Sasportas Inner Planets book. Although a 'modern' he supports the idea of Combust and takes the view that if Mercury is Combust it loses it's objectivity. But he says nothing about Cazimi making any difference to this.

A further problem here is that the person has no Air in her chart.

Any thoughts? I'm wondering if Cazimi has always been seen as strong in traditional texts?
________
Gift cards
Last edited by robin on Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hi robin,

Bonatti says in his Book of Astronomy (Tr. 3, Chapter 7, page 211 in Ben Dykes' edition), that a planet is cazimi when it's less than 16' from the Sun both in longitude and latitude. So the planet must really be "in the heart of the Sun", otherwise it's only combust.

The concept of cazimi is a tad controversial as it seems illogical that a planet in the heart of the Sun is strong, while a planet just outside the heart is harmed. This may be why Sasportas doesn't mention it. He might see combust as combust regardless of how close the planet is to the Sun.

The idea as I understand it is that the cazimi planet is in the bosom of the king. He is protected by the king. It is this accidental situation, as yuzuru pointed out, that gives the planet his strength. It is not an essential dignity. So I would look at it as the Mercury may have difficulties, but it won't be a disaster as he will have help and protection.

I'd also be careful of attributing all the native's problems as stated to a single placement, but the question is a good one.

Tom