what health issues should i watch out for?

question asked February 15, 2004, 3.50 PM, in Brussels, Belgium (1 h. East, Standard time)

ascendant 5 leo.

I am represented by the SUn, ruler of the ascendant,
and by teh Moon.

Sun is in 8, in Aquarius, sextiling the Moon.
Moon is in Sagitarius, in the 5th, conjunct Pluto, sextiling sun.

6th house is in capricorn.
what worries me: 6th house ruler Saturn is in cancer in 12. :(
it squares Venus (in Aries).

guess it could be pointing at gynaecological problems (though never had any).
or stomach problems --I had stomach and oesophagus inflammation a few years ago. guess I should have a check-up.

further, a few years ago i damaged my neck vertebrae (doing yoga). recently it got worse. maybe this chart just points to this, since capricorn representing the bones and aries the head?

I would be grateful for any comments or insights.

I asked this question because by the end of this year or somewhere next year pluto in transit will be squaring my natal mars, which is in pisces in 6. I have numerous uncles and aunts who are unfortunately becoming old and sick, it could point at them.
But especially my solar return chart for this year sort of worried me:
Saturn conjunct the Ascendant, at 6 degrees Cancer.
Moon, ruler of teh ascendant, in Pisces ( conjunct my natal mars), square Pluto.
Pluto in Sag in 6, square Moon, trine Mercury.
Jupiter, ruler of 6, in Virgo, trine Venus.

I had hip problems in the past, so i hoped that the solar return pointed at that hip. but the horary does not confirm this.

thx again for any feedback.

Mercury is the Lord of the Hour. The chart may not radical because Mercury does not match the ruler of the first house, it?s nature or it?s triplicity ruler.

I looked at what Lilly said in his chapter on first house questions, under ?Signs of Health or Long Life.? Lilly gives several indicators of good health and several for bad health and you have none of them.

Like most things, Lilly describes a list of several indicators for either health or illness and your chart would have to show a number of these indicators, not just one of them.

Under his signs of good health, Lilly says to look at the condition of the Lord of ASC, which here is the Sun. He says to look to see whether it is in a ?bad? aspect (square, opposition or conjunction) with the Lord of the 8th, 12th, 6th or 4th House. There are no such aspects in this chart, so that?s good. Lilly also says a sign of good health is if the Sun is well placed, especially if it?s in the first house, but also if it?s in the either the 10th, 11th or 9th house. Your Sun is in the eighth house, which is a weak house. Lilly also says to look to see if the Sun is in an aspect with Venus, Jupiter or the Sun, which in this case it isn?t. So, of the three indicators of good health, you have one (the Sun?s lack of bad aspect with the rulers of the 8th, 12th, 6th or 4th house).

Under his signs of illness, Lilly says to look if the Lord of the ASC is combust, which it isn?t. He also says to look if the Moon is both cadent and in an aspect with any of the rulers of the 8th or 6th house. The Moon is not cadent and not in aspect with any of those planets. He also says to look if a ?violent? fixed star is conjoin the ASC or the Sun, which it isn?t. So, in this chart you have none of Lilly?s signs of illness.

So you have neither all of the signs for excellent health or for bad health. I?d say that most of us are in the same place. In short, you?re not going to die any day now, but you may have some health issues, just like most everyone.

The Sun, your symbol of health, is in the eighth house and in its detriment. The sixth house?s ruler, Saturn is very weak and very badly placed. It is in its detriment, retrograde and peregrine and worse yet, in the 12th house. So whatever Saturn indicates could be both hidden at the time (12th house) and recurring (retrograde). Maybe like you suggest, Saturn does represent the bones and hence your recent neck problems. I don?t think that Capricorn represent the bones or skeleton. Capricorn governs the knees. I associate Saturn with the skeleton and with joint problems like arthritis. Problems with the neck are shown by the condition of the 2nd house, and nothing like that shows up in this chart. I am not so sure about this, but I don?t think that Saturn here represents your recent neck problems. Is this neck problem just a minor pain, or is it something really serious and debilitating?

However, Lilly has a chart that shows what body part is shown by each sign. For Saturn in Cancer, Lilly says that this points to the ?reines, belly, secrets?. Interestingly, the Sun in Aquarius also points to the ?reines and secrets?. Now, I have NO idea what the word ?reines? means. This must be some archaic word from Lilly?s time. But the words ?belly? and ?secrets? clearly point to the lower abdomen and sexual organs. So, I?d be more confident that Saturn shows some recurring but currently hidden problem in those parts of the body. Using Lilly?s chart, none of the planets in this chart point to the neck.

Another thing to look at is which is stronger, the ruler of the first house (your health) or the ruler of the sixth house (illness). So we look at the Sun and Saturn. Both are in their detriment and are peregrine. But the Sun is just ever so slightly better off. Though the eighth house is not a strong one, it?s better than the twelfth house. And Saturn is further weakened by being both retrograde and occidental. So while both are very weak, Saturn is the weaker of the two. So you health is stronger than the disease, but just barely.

And I put this out very tentatively, but I also notice that Mars both rules the tenth house and is in the tenth house. The tenth house is the treatment for an illness, and I associate Mars with metal in general and with knives in particular, in short with surgery. I hope this isn?t the case, and I am quite the amateur, so please anyone who feels differently step in and tell me otherwise. Mars is also in its detriment and peregrine. On the other hand, the aspects between Saturn and Mars are separating, so I don?t think shows surgery in the future for you. In fact, Saturn has no applying aspects here.

Your Moon is about to be sextile with the Sun. The Moon rules the twelfth house where Saturn resides. So maybe whatever secret illness that Saturn indicates, it will make itself apparent soon.

This is just a lousy time for any chart. Saturn and Jupiter are both in their detriment and retrograde. And both Venus, Mars and the Sun are in their detriment.
Mark F

thank you for having taken the time to give such a detailed answer. it both confirms my concern and sort of slightly reassures me that it doesn't have to be a total catastrophe, in spite of that dreadful saturn position.

guess it could be that the problem will only take on its full proportions in a year from now: in 2004 transiting neptune will square my natal venus (co-ruler of my ascendant, in taurus in the 8th house) en pluto will square my natal mars (in pisces in 6) -- however, since both neptune and pluto will be retrograding, the final squares will only take place a year from now. and as someone pointed out in another thread, it's the last hit that's the hardest.

meanhile i'll have some check-ups and try not to worry. :roll:

update: gastro and gyneco check-up were negative. but two weeks ago, the day after saturn, the ruler of 6th in the horary, turned direct, and 10 days before the above mentioned solar return, i woke up with an excruciating pain in my liver. :( i am waiting for the blood results now. if they don't show anything the doctor will do an ultrasound check of my liver region.

so the liver seems to be the problem, and sag/jup representing the liver, it seems the answer to my question "which health problem should i watch out for?" was enclosed in my solar return: pluto in sagitarius in 6 square moon, and jupiter, ruler of 6, retrograde in virgo (yet trining venus - i hope that is a positive sign that it's nothing too serious).

thank you deb.

no results yet. but meanwhile i am less worried - the pain is gone, and thinking it over, pluto in 6 may look scary, but it's just squaring the moon -looks more like a sensitiveness, and less scary and life threatening than a link between that pluto and saturn or neptune would have been.

a small update: the blood test did not show anything special. teh doctor sent me for a scan, but right then i received a letter that my insurance had expired. i even didn't know that such a situation was possible in belgium. :(

i sorted out the insurance thing and went to hand in the necessary papers and money personally, the day before mercury went retrograde. they told me that it would take two weeks to be covered again. i told myself not to stress, and to wait patiently.

since 3 weeks went by without hearing from them, i called today. they cannot find any trace of my papers and payment. i am still registered as not-insured and not regulated in their computers. :( i have to call back on wednesday.

meanwhile, my liver (or gallbladder or pancreas or whatever) kept on hurting and i had plenty of indigestions (even though i always eat light and heallthily) until one week ago. then it suddenly stopped (maybe thanks to herbal cleansing tabs i took).

but what worries me more now tahn my liver, is that since teh day saturn in the above horary made an exact square with venus, i've been having sudden severe headaches, that last only a few seconds but are so intense that i am afraid i am going to have a stroke or so. :( probably linked with the neck injury i have. :(

and i must wait for the insurance before i can have that checked out. it seems so absurd, i've always been fully insured and then suddenly for the first time in my life i have health problems that really worry me, and right at that moment i get lost in the adminsitrative buraucratic mist.

hope i don't sound hysterical here. i am really worried. thanks anybody who reads this for keeping your fingers crossed and sending me some healing energy. you never know that may help a bit.

here's the verdict: i have a cerebral aneurysm, a ballooning vein in my head, due to the neck injury, that in the worst case can lead to a stroke.
:( so that's teh venus in aries square saturn in the horary. i may need to be operated on, but hopefully not.

as for the liver pains, i haven't done teh scan yet.

sort of weird and frustrating that all the information was in the chart and yet i've been powerless to prevent anything from happening. but the good thing about having made the horary was that it urged me to take my headaches seriously.

Sorry to hear the news. I have been wondering about you since I looked at your chart a few months ago.

I am not sure if I see the cerebral hemorage in this chart though. Like I said at first, your 6th house ruler Saturn is in Cancer which Lilly associates with the belly, not the head. True, Saturn has just passed a square with Venus in Aries, but Lilly also lists that as describing a problem either in the reines (whatever they are) or the feet. Your 8th house Sun also points to the "reines or secrets" according to Lilly.

I would reiterate that your signs of health (the first house and it's ruler) and just barely stronger that your 6th house and it's ruler, meaning you could have some serious health problems.

Maybe this is just 20-20 hindsight.

Anyone else have any insight?
Mark F

Hi Haku,

I?m shocked to hear your news but I am relieved to think that your quick action might have prevented a more serious condition.

I took a look at this chart today. I?m afraid I can?t offer any advice on the best treatment as that?s all outside my area of expertise, but I can show what it?s describing in a traditional sense.
The problem is not so much the terrible condition of Saturn in the 12th, because the 6th house ruler signifies the afflicting disease, so it helps to have the 6th-ruler debilitated, indicating that it doesn?t have the power to bring serious affliction. Of course, Saturn is ?in joy? in the 12th and by being retrograde suggests a long period of recurring problems. Against this, balance the testimony of the ruler of the 1st house, which signifies the state of your health and vitality; whether you are in a condition to shake off illness easily.

The Sun as the 1st ruler is usually good because it?s a principle significator for vivacity, but not when it is located in the 8th, indicating worry and trauma, and placed in detriment in Aquarius, showing a low level of energy. This suggests that there is an overall lack of vitality and a need to work upon and build up your general health. Aquarius signifies blood circulation (CA. p.98 ) and the Sun is a natural significator for the brain (CA. p.71), so with the Sun afflicted or weakened, it can represent problems connected with those parts.

The upcoming aspects to affect the Sun are the sextile from the Moon, and the trine to 6th-ruler Saturn. The latter crosses over the boundary of the signs but it is already within orb of aspect so I would consider it. I view this contact as the indication that there is a health concern to worry about. These are positive aspects but from planets that are essentially or accidentally malefic (Saturn by being Saturn and ruler of 6th; the Moon by being the ruler of the 12th house where Saturn is placed).

The other areas that are shown as subject to concern are:

The Liver ? signified by the Moon in the 5th house (CA.p.53), the Moon disposited by and separating from Jupiter (CA. p.63) and Venus angular on the MC (CA. p.247)

Stomach problems ? Ruler of 6th in Cancer (CA., p.94) , the Moon in 5th dispositing the ruler of the 6th and applying to the aspect of the 1st-ruler. (CA., p.53)

Acute pains emanating from the neck or head ? Saturn sextile Mars in Taurus (which is in MR with Venus ? angular - in Aries).

Capricorn on the 6th cusp and Saturn in Cancer shows illnesses ?proceeding from cold?, which suggests a poor generation of heat that would contribute to circulation problems indicated by the Sun in Aquarius.

Because there are a number of symptoms that you?ve described that match the symbolism in this chart, I?m wondering whether there?s an underlying cause that?s operating as a key influence. I don?t know enough about this to offer advice but I think it should be worth your while contacting someone who is properly trained in decumbiture and equipped to offer advice on treatment. (I?m thinking of someone like Graeme Tobyn, if you read his interview you can see the approach he takes; it is very wholistic - http://www.skyscript.co.uk/tobyn.html )

Wishing you all the best,
Deb