Sedna Found-a new planet or planetoid.

Dear Reader,

I was listening to the Canadain Broadcasting Network today. They said a new planet was discovered in November The planetoid they call Sedena was named after an Inuit goddess who created sea creatures. From canoe I learned Sedna is the farthest known object in our gallexy and is three times farther away from the Sun than Pluto and about three quarters of Pluto's size. Any more information or astrological connections about this planet?
Thanks,
Sandra

Sedna is currently at around 17Taurus52 in the tropical zodiac. Astro.com has an ephemeris for it at its website. No doubt there wil be astrologers all over the world who are at this moment trying to find the astrological implications of this object. We will probably hear things about how it relates to this particular myth. To my mind, the astrological implications of this object are absolutely none at all. Certainly there is no way of determining any effects at this point in time without making it up.

Sedna

Hi Deb,

I can't help but believe that a new planet or planetoid in this galaxy has to have some astrological significance. It's too new for people yet to have a mythology or symbolism yet.

Here is what I found in the Edmonton Sun about Sedan for those who haven't seen it yet.
LOS ANGELES -- A frozen world found more than 12.9 billion km from Earth is believed to be the farthest known object within our solar system, scientists announced yesterday. The discovery of red and shiny Sedna, a "planetoid" of rock and ice between 1,290 km and 1,770 km in diameter, or about three-quarters the size of Pluto, was announced by Mike Brown, an astronomer at the California Institute of Technology who led the NASA-funded team that found it.

The find "opens a new fossil window into the solar system," Brown said.

Named for the Inuit goddess who created the sea creatures of the Arctic, Sedna lies more than three times farther from the sun than Pluto. It was discovered in November.

Sedna is the largest object found orbiting the sun since the discovery of Pluto, the ninth planet, in 1930. It trumps in size another object, called Quaoar, discovered by the same team in 2002.

Sedna is so far out that from its distance the sun could be completely blocked out with the head of a pin, he said.

Brown would not classify Sedna as a planet. He said planets are considerably more massive than any other object in a given location, and researchers predict that other, more massive objects will be found near Sedna.
Wow, it's exciting.
Sandra

I agree that these sorts of discoveries are always interesting but it is important for us not to start making astrological assumptions about this body without any knowledge of its cycle or effects. This probably won?t happen for many, many years, well beyond my current lifetime. This planet/planetoid will probably take thousands of years to complete an orbit of the Sun. I don?t believe that every object in the sky, even ones that might or might not be planets, needs to have astrological relevance. The more we try to cram into a chart, the weaker our symbolism becomes.

Taking the name chosen (Sedna), looking at the symbolism of the myth and then trying to fit it astrologically can also misleading. At this point, Sedna is only a temporary name and won?t be confirmed for up to two years. There is a long process involved, including extensive observations of the planetoid before a name is confirmed. Even then I don?t believe that the name and the myth always match the astrological symbolism of the planet involved. Richard Tarnas, for example, makes an interesting case for why the Prometheus myth fits the planet Uranus better than the myth of Ouranos.

I?ve been following some of the discussions on other websites and they are interesting to say the least. Most centre on the myth of Sedna and how that correlates astrologically. Some have suggested that Sedna is the higher octave of Venus. Others have suggested that Sedna be given rulership over either Libra or Virgo. Virgo is the current favourite. I?ve been expecting to see some sort of correlation with Mars given that Sedna is red. I have also seen discussions about where Sedna is placed in their natal charts, the aspects it makes to other planets and what that might mean astrologically. The point is we can?t possibly know any of this. The ancients didn?t look up into the sky one night, notice a planet and suddenly have a whole set of theories about it. They observed what was right in front of them and went from there. They watched and learned and allowed the planets to tell their story. We should probably do the same.

Sedna & astrology

Hi Readers,

I agree that astrological myth and correspondence cannot happen over night. However on the CBC, it was said that the name would very likely not be overturned. I wonder if it's connections are with Neptune because of the name being connected with the Inuit goddess of the sea.

Thanks,
Sandra

This planet/planetoid will probably take thousands of years to complete an orbit of the Sun.
Sedna has a 10,500 year orbit. This means it moves an average of one degree of longitude every 29 years. In short it is a little "faster" than a fixed star. It will not complete more than 4 degrees of movement in the average human life span. Currently it is moving faster than average due to its "proximity" to the Sun. Even a Pluto return will have more significance.

John Frawley posted the little essay below, and after visiting several websites, I can say that virtually everything in this essay has already happened.

YOU ?AVING A LARF?

We learn today that astronomers have discovered this week?s new planet, and have named it Sedna, after the Inuit goddess of the ocean. Has astrology?s sharp-eyed kid brother achieved another triumph? Or is there a different explanation - one which in the workshop we regard as rather more plausible?

Are these regular new discoveries really made by painstaking observation; or are they the product of a cloudy night at the observatory, when idle astronomers decide to pass the time by teasing astrologers as boys might torment a cat by tying a firecracker to its tail? Light the blue touchpaper with the announcement of a new planet, and watch the fun as astrologers rush hither and thither to determine its significance. We doubt not that even now many astrologers have found they have a deep knowledge of Inuit mythology, sufficient for them to decide Sedna?s meaning in any chart, while contracts for the first twenty-five books on the subject have already been signed.

The workshop itself has not been slack. Colin, who is perhaps not the most salubrious among the stable-lads, but who has a raw wit adept at parting fools from their money, has the yard donkey saddled and handbills in circulation, offering to transport the unwary so they may benefit from spending their solar return on the return?s Sedna line. We suspect the objective observer might be surprised how many of Colin?s clients have this line within half a day?s journey of our yard gate.

I hope he doesn't mind my posting this, but he is using it to make a pitch for the long awaited issue #21 of The Astrologer's Apprentice.

Tom