Besieged Planets

I was doing something I promised myself I would not do, i.e. look at the charts of the candidates for the upcoming US elections, and I noticed John Kerry has a besieged Moon. His Gemini Moon is between Mars and retrograde Saturn.

Lilly says this of a beseiged planet: " ... a man going out of God's blessing into the warm Sun." Although he does state this refers to a question, I'm still a bit lost. I checked Ibn Ezra and he is no help either, and he usually is. He implies it is harmful, but does not state how. Culpepper in his book on decumbiture informs us that in such a chart the patient will not survive, but Kerry has survived some 57+ years. In brief, there is agreement that such a position is bad, particularly in a horary or decumbiture, but what about a nattivity? I'm not so much interested in how this plays out in Kerry's chart as I a how this relatively rare configuration applies in general.

If we've touched on this before, I'm sorry for the repeat.

Tom

I?d say that someone whose Moon is separating from one malefic and applying to another is bound to deal with more than the fair share of difficult issues, concerning conflict, self restraint, etc. It?s hard to come up with a general formula for natal work.

Kerry?s chart is interesting because the Moon is besieged regardless of whether you consider that to mean moving from conjunction to conjunction, or aspect to aspect (before conjoining Saturn it makes a more immediate opposition to the Sun). The Moon rules the 8th house and the Sun rules the 9th ? this does seem to suggest that he?d have a lot of trouble and grief over international policies.

Hi Deb,

Thanks for the input. The chart you're using is not the one I've seen most often. The one I've used is 8:03 AM MWT and Lois Rodden's group gives it an 'A' rating. It gives 16 Sagittarius 01 rising and puts the Sun on the ASC.

The Moon rules the 8th house and the Sun rules the 9th ? this does seem to suggest that he?d have a lot of trouble and grief over international policies.
He's already had this sort of trouble over things he's said about international policies both in the past (Saturn Rx) and during the campaign. This is natural enough for any candidate over a long campaign, but it seems to be reflected in his Saturn - Mercury mutual reception.

Tom