Olympics Data Request

Could a member of the forum help me ? I'm trying to establish the correct data for the official start of the Olympic Games.

Would it be taken from the start of the opening ceremony in Athens (13th August), the moment the torch is lit, or some other significant time ?

I'm very grateful for comments.

Jeff
________
Ios games
Last edited by Jeff on Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hi Jeff,

I've had a few discussions about this and most people I speak to seem to be going with the commencement of the opening ceremony. This is to be at 8:45pm. But there's nothing like the lighting of the flame in symbolic terms to really ignite the passions of everyone. And it's the time when the games are declared open. It's an interesting point and one I haven't really thought about. The ceremony is scheduled to end at midnight so I would guess (and it's only a guess) that the flame would be lit sometime close to the end, say around 11:45pm. The planetary positions won't have changed much (the Moon moves about 1.5 degrees in that time ) but the house positions would be quite different. From the very brief look I just had, I'd prefer the second (lighting of the flame) chart. I'm not a huge sports fan (which is practically a crime in Australia) but I like the whole symbolic gesture of the lighting of the flame.

Sue

It's a similar issue with wedding charts - is the moment of the marriage the time when the ceremony is booked to begin, or the moment "I now declare you man and wife" is uttered? I think the latter is more appropriate but not easily available, so astrologers settle for the time the marriage is booked to begin.

If you're trying to get a chart for the official start of the games, I agree with Sue's comments and would take the time from the moment the games are offically declared open. I'm sure there's a valid argument that the start of the ceremony has some significance too but an official declaration carries greater weight as the moment when the tensions tied into the event begin to be released.

Thanks for the opinions.
I've looked at the chart for the start of the ceremony but I'm not quite comfortable with taking that as the most appropriate symbolic moment. I'll try to record the moment of the declaration.

Thanks again,
Jeff
________
Herbal store
Last edited by Jeff on Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

For the record I timed the declaration as 9:46 pm BST, Athens, 13 August.

I was concerned about the retrograde Mercury (media coverage) conjunct Mars (sport) opposition to Uranus (disturbance) from the 5th house (sport). The games seem to be having a lot of controversy and global criticism with regard to sudden chaotic decisions (winners being disqualified and reinstated), equipment failure, and of course the immediate drug controversy of the host nation's two biggest athletics stars. At least Venus rules the ascendant and is exalted in Cancer, making a sextile to Mars. I hope this bodes well for a peaceful Olympics with no terrorist disasters, the Mars-Mercury opposition looked worrying there. Venus helps to soften a lot of the other problems in the chart. The opening ceremony bore its stamp didn't it?.
Another interesting feature is that the MC is governed by Saturn in Cancer, (conjunct Moon in Cancer in the 4th house), which nicely describes the way that the hosts are expressing pride in their past glories (can't blame them for that).
________
AIRSOFT GUNS
Last edited by Jeff on Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

This is for the time of the declaration using the details in Jeff's post.
What I like about the Olympics is the way every country takes pride in itself because the media coverage focuses on the events they do well at.

I think it quite fitting the sun is on the fifth house cusp!
ambassador gathered in a pleasurable and honorable competitive persuit!
Leo - all noble in nature
Mars also in 5th all passionate sbout the persuit
okay so mercury is retrograde and Jupiter dibilitated,But Mercury is in its own sign, returning to its own terms
the Moon and Saturn both on the IC? hmmm the moon in its own sign, and face, saturn in fall... though Saturn is in his temple here, yes?

venus on the third house cusp of community, communication? I would think this bodes well for the world feeling better about its relations, if only temporarily.

Uranus in the 11th, changes in hopes and friendships? opposite Jupiter, changes in fortune, well that seems very true, the Olympics have always brought great changes of fortune to its participants.

Neptune in 10th Ideals held up to scrutiny?

Pluto in the 8th, the disruptor in the house of death and debt and ending? perhaps a change in the view of how things end? perhaps some difference in world views? interesting. I have noticed a lot of issues with the validity of medals, but If I recall correctly there have always been issues with medals in every Olympics I recall...

this is a very interesting Chart.
sun, moon and mercury all in their own signs, so one would think working very well with the events at hand.

thank you for bringing this up, it is very interesting.

Granny...