My impression is that such a placement would increase the chances of malevolence. I could see a malefic seething and stewing, and generally wanting to cause trouble, when it is in a condition of thwarted and repressed expression. A freely expressive malefic is a happy malefic. A happy malefic has it?s place and function. There may be a difference in horary and natal interpretation?I don?t know.

As a general rule Kirk is right, but a malefic is a malefic even when dignified. That doesn't mean that it has nothing but negatives to bestow, but that even a dignified malefic can be can be a problem.

Christopher Reeve had Saturn in Libra (exalted) in sextile to his ASC and as part of the translation of light to peregrine Mars in Sagittarius in his natal chart. Saturn signified his paralysis (among other things) and perhaps the enormous self discipline it took to maintain his struggle for as long as he did.

The same is true for benefics. A debilitated benefic can be a problem, but so can a dignified one. Janis Joplin's Jupiter in Cancer (exalted) in the 5th led to a lot of excess in her life -- an excess that would kill her.

Although traditional astrology has a reputation for fatalism and rigidity, that simpy isn't true (despite my citing two sad cases) There is a lot to consider in each chart before judgment.

Tom

Christopher Reeve
September 25, 1952
3:12 AM EDT
NY, NY

Janis Joplin
Jan 19, 1943
9:45 AM + 5 hrs
Port Arthur, TX