Protests in Egypt & The Islamic World

Following the change of government in Tunisia a fortnight ago, as a result of public demonstrations, the focus has shifted in recent days to Egypt where unprecedented public demonstrations have flowed on to the streets of Cairo, Alexandria and other Egyptian cities.

The Egyptian government has tried to crack down on the protests by putting the army on the streets and declaring curfews. Many Egyptians have already died in the process.

The authoritarian regime of President Hosni Mubarak has already been compelled to dissolve the current government and replaced it with new ministers. However, despite this and the presence of the army on the streets the protests have continued. Some are already speculating that Mubarak will be driven from office.

Underlying these demonstrations are undeniably several public frustrations. President Mubarak has been in power since the assassination of President Anwar El Sadat by the Islamicist Al Jihad movement in 1981. Mubarak's regime is widely perceived as authoritarian and corrupt. The ailing Mubarak now aged 82 has been rumoured to be planning to set up his son as his successor. Many Egyptians no doubt seek more freedom and human rights and some may favour western style democracy. There are also economic drivers with many of the poor protesting against rising food prices and corruption by the ruling oligarchy. The regime has also long had its opponents amongst Islamic groups such as the Muslim Brotherhood that favour an Islamic fundamentalist republic in the style of Iran.

So where are we going from here?

Some see these demonstrations as reminiscent of the fall of the Berlin Wall which ushered in democracy and the end of the cold war in eastern europe. Others see this as having strong similarities to the fall of the Shah in Iran and the revival of Islamic fundamentalism. Like the Shah the USA and other western governments have financially supported an autocrat as a supposed bulwark against Islamic extremism. A third possibility is that the Egyptian oligarchy will eventually coalesce around a new leader who will largely maintain the status quo after some liberalization to placate the masses.

Lets look at some astrology! I have initially displayed 3 charts: The Capricorn ingress, the Lunar eclipse chart and the Solar eclipse chart.

EGYPT
I will discuss these charts in my next post. Feel welcome to chip with analysis of your own or to discuss other charts relating to the Egyptian situation.

Mark
Last edited by Mark on Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:26 pm, edited 8 times in total.
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

Egypt is an ancient culture with many regimes and dynasties throughout its very long history. I therefore propose to examine the Aries Ingress chart for 1953 which was the year the modern Egyptian Republic came into existence. I propose this as the foundational ingress chart for modern Egypt.
In terms of an electional chart for modern Egypt, Nicholas Campion in his Book of World Horoscopes gives a timed chart for the declaration of the Egyptian Republic in 1953:
''Realizing that their time had come, the radical [army] officers engineered a second coup on 18-19 June, the culmination of which was the proclamation of the Republic at 11:30 p.m. GMT on 18 June in Cairo. . . ." Campion, "The Book of World Horoscopes" (second Edition), p. 144''

Mark
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

The transit of Uranus hits all 4 National charts (2 of Tunisia, 2 of Egypt) at key areas of the charts. Its already volatile by its conjunction to Jupiter and by its position on the PI/AR cusp...as its also positioned on some equally volatile degree areas in the national charts so its not altogther surprising that revolutionary fervour is erupting in both countries.

One to note particularly is the URt sq to Egypts Sun (Leader/Mubarrak) at 28 GEM - BANKRUPTCY GRANTED TO HIM, A MAN LEAVES THE COURT

Might be interesting to take a further look at the UR Aries Ingress, Mark.
Mad Daz's Place, quiet but never boring
http://pinkmelon.proboards82.com/index.cgi

One to note particularly is the URt sq to Egypts Sun (Leader/Mubarrak) at 28 GEM
It may be a factor but it offers us no explanation as to the timing. Uranus has been floating around such degrees for ages. Why now? I think the ingress of Jupiter back into Aries is much more important here. Its entry into Aries almost exactly coincides with the civil unrest breaking out in Egypt. Jupiter is the ascendant ruler in the foundational ingress chart of 1953. It rules the ascendant and MC in the Solar eclipse of January 4th. Jupiter is also the dispositor of the Sun and MC in the last Lunar eclipse. The Lunar eclipse clearly activated the Sun in the Egyptian Republic chart (1953). Note that Jupiter is disposited by Mars now. At the time of the recent disturbances breaking out Mars was crossing the nodal axis of the 1953 ingress chart. As noted in the Korean thread the lunar eclipse occurred near the fixed star Betelegeuse which is of the nature of Mars and mercury. It has a reputation for instability and potential violence. According to both the ingress chart (1953) and the Egyptian Republic chart (1953) Egypt is going through its Mercury firdaria. Intriguingly Mercury is right on the IC in both charts! Mercury is MC ruler in the 1953 ingress. Upheaval against the ruling administration is therefore indicated. In the ingress chart (1953) Mercury is in Pisces. This reinforces the Jupiter focus already highlighted making Jupiter Lord 4. Using the chart for the Republic Mercury is in Cancer. The Moon dispositing this planet doubly emphasizes a focus on the public with the Moon both Lord 4 and the natural significator for the public. Another point worth noting is that the MC (In Sagittarius ) of the Solar eclipse chart (located for Cairo) exactly opposed the Sun in the 1953 Republic chart. Naturally this meant the Sun of the 1953 chart was on the IC of the Solar eclipse chart. By profection this is an 11th house year for Egypt offering some hopes of change from years of stagnation.

The immediate trigger was indicated in the Full Moon chart of January 19th. The Sun/Moon square the Ascendant in the chart for the 1953 Republic. Saturn is on the ascendant and squaring the MC. Saturn disposits the 4th house/IC. The Moon the natural significator for the people is in the 10th house , it is the sect light and in its sign of domicile rulership. The Sun is the natural significator for the ruler and is under the earth in the 4th house. Both planets are in the last degree of sign indicating a change is imminent. The chart clearly shows the long oppressed opponents of the regime have come into the open and are demanding a change to their country.
So really Uranus is quite unnecessary as far I am concerned. Looking at such questions traditionally is less quick and easy but a lot more revealing than just looking for a few transit hits to a national chart.

Mark
Last edited by Mark on Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ole wrote:
In the New Moon chart the Moon is also the ruler of the : Government (as ruler of the Mc), and in rulership.
Hi Ole,

I agree the Moon is strong here due to rulership, house placement and planetary sect. However, its just about to change sign to Leo where it is peregrine i.e. lacks any essential dignity. Plus its applying by orb across the sign boundary to an opposition of Mars. As you point out the Sun ( natural significator of the King/ruler) is about to move into its sign of detriment. Both the Sun and Moon are in the terms/bounds of Saturn. What really intrigues me about the New Moon chart is the Moon's next aspect before leaving sign which is a trine to Jupiter. Jupiter is a dispositor of the Moon by exaltation. However, Jupiter is Lord 6 in the chart. I suppose this could indicate the influence of the oppressed on the regime to bring about change.
In addition Venus as ruler of the 1st and 8th house is unaspected
Venus is making a dexter sextile to Saturn (Lord 4). This adds more force to the generally weak sextile. Plus both planets are in signs of long ascension so this could operate more like a mundane square.

Mark

As to SAT conj AC at 17 degrees Libra in the NM chart..
17 Libra is a degree of SAT/UR-qualities. When activated within a relationship it usually means a crisis, if not splitting up: the separation of two persons/things/institutions... whose incompatibility can no longer be ignored.

LL

The chart above is the seond solar (2001) of the JU/SAT Great Conjunction of May 28th, 2000, Cairo. A solar can be used as a septar - which is a seven years' chart:

Birth chart = first solar = first septar = the first seven years. Second solar = second septar = 7- 14. Etc (based on the Munich School of Rhythms).

The Septar given above gives an insight into the years (May) 2007 until (May) 2014. What is clearly shown is that the present crisis will be a lasting one.
Moon - UR is found on a worldwide level, but is has now materialized in Egypt.
LL

For anyone wondering what Lunlumo is talking about here is a previous thread where he explains Septars in relation to the United Kingdom (1801) chart. In this thread Steven Birchfield also explains how Septars were originally used by the great medieval Persian astrologer Abu'Mashar.

http://skyscript.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5506

Just one question Lunlumo. Why have you used the last Jupiter-Saturn conjunction rather than the most recent septar following the creation of the Egyptian republic in 1953?

Mark

Ole wrote:
Jupiter seems to hold the key in this FM chart as the exalted ruler of the Mc and the ruler of the 6th house of armed forces. Jupiter is also in rulership and strong - and rules Saturn R4 and Venus R1/8 in terms of end dispositorship. Shortly after being trined by the Moon it enters assertive Aries and come to a square of the nodal axis. An intervention of the army leading to more bloodshed (Moon opposing Mars as already mentioned)?
I do think there is a slight danger of trying to squeeze too much out of one chart even if it is a crucial 'trigger' chart. We do need to look at this in the context of other charts in my opinion. I already mentioned how important Jupiter was at the start of the thread due to the ingress chart from 1953 and the recent lunar and solar eclipses.

Regarding the army I usually consider the 11th house signifying this. The logic being the army are part of the resources of the King/government ( 2nd from the 10th house).

For example, William Lilly states regarding the 11th house:
It doth naturally represent Friends and Friendship, Hope, Trust, Confidence, the Praise, or Dispraise of anyone; the Fidelity or falsenesse of Friends; as to Kings it personates their Favourites, Councellours, Servants, their Associates or Allyes, their Money, Exchequer or Treasure; in Warre their Ammunition and Souldiery; it represents Courtiers, &c. in a Common-wealth governed by a few of the Nobles and Commons, it personates their assistance in Councell: as in London the tenth House represents the Lord Major; the eleventh the Common-councell; the Ascendant the generality of the Commoners of the said City.
Christian Astrology, p56
Mark