Should I take the doctorate offer?

Hi all,

The question is broadly "Should I take this offer?"

It's for an industrial doctorate, meaning that 75% of the time will be spent working in a windowless water treatment facility :D and 25% at a prestigious university. It is very well paid and includes plenty of professional training and opportunities for career development.

The main problem is that it is based in London, and I am not a city person in the slightest.

Anyway I am unsure as to which houses to use. I thought 9th house since it is a studentship, with the 10th being the professional benefits from that. But I am not sure, because I will be mostly working in industry (a 10th house location), and spend relatively little time at the university (9th house location). However I will be responsible to both places since I will have two supervisors, one at work and one at the university.

Ok so this is what I've come up with:

Lord 1 is a peregrine Mars in Gemini, just 2 degrees away from the South Node, inside the 8th house cusp. He would be peregrine if placed into the 9th house. This indicates that my present situation is one of negativity/lack of direction (South Node) and rootlessness (peregrine). Also that I would not feel "at home" in this placement (L1 peregrine in the 9th).

Lord 10 and Lord 8 are both Mercury, who is in the 9th house. Both the Moon and Lord 1 are in the sign of Mercury. This makes me think that Mercury represents the position. Mercury is in the term and face of Mars, which is better than nothing in terms of not actively damaging Mars. Mercury is also close to changing sign into Virgo, where he will have strong dignity. This makes me think that the position will improve as time goes on. However, Mars is 6 degrees away from changing sign into Cancer, where he will be in fall and triplicity - comfortable but self-destructive, perhaps.

It seems that Mercury being Lord 10 and Lord 8 at the same time is pretty symbolic of the sacrifices I would be making to take this position. Lord 10 being Lord 8 with Lord 1 in the 8th makes me think of a "devil's bargain" or similar metaphor.

I suspect the Moon is in the 7th house because my main concern is a social/romantic one - the industrial site is very isolated and I would be working in a team of only 10 people. I suspect it will be a real struggle to meet anyone outside of work and that in the worst-case scenario I will not have a social circle outside of work at all throughout the 4 years of the programme. I am also at an age where finding a husband is high on my list of priorities and I have a great fear that this will not happen (great fear - very 8th house!) :(

I also notice that the Sun is right on the 9th cusp. As Lord 9 and in his own sign, my first instinct would be that he is a positive indication because of his strong essential dignity. Certainly the university is a very good one and on previous visits I got a positive vibe from the place and staff. However I would not be based there.

The Moon goes to immediately perfect her trine to Saturn (Lord 3). I'm not sure what this means unless it's simply saying "No". However I have already been given the offer so I don't know what this means (unless this is the chart simply saying I should not go through with it).

Thanks,

Keren

A few random thoughts.

Mercury is a bit tricky-
It is slow and retrogrades in Virgo(today) and then retreats into leo.
So career-wise it will be a trickster.

Additionally, with Algol conjunct the 7th cusp, South node to enter in the 7th and the angles dangerously close to the Aries ingress for Norway- ignore Brevik or his ilk and London either as a partner or a relocation

...unless Ammonium Nitrate is your favourite perfume :D

PD

Also a few random thoughts here:

L1 changes the sign that describes the change of environment which will not be all bed of roses since it is Mars' Fall but since you said that you are not a city person maybe that's the key. Plus, Mars rules Watery Triplicity so you will be more or less in your element -- probably work-wise. Mars rules also H5 so your social life will be affected by it as well.

The university (L9) is very nice and solid - Sun in its own sign and house, a fixed sign and it is in partile aspect with PoF in the house of your career. That is great. Also, the university makes an aspect to your finances (L2).

L1 "meets" L10 when they both change signs, which kinda makes sense because in order to get that job you must change your environment. L10 is slowing down and will be Rx when the principal significators perfect the aspect. The job kind of comes back (Rx) to you which is good. Mercury will be in it's own sign which is also good. Too lazy to check, but even if Mercury is Rx-ing back into Leo I don't think it is that tricky - because Leo represents the university. So maybe the focus will shift a bit more towards the university. And maybe it will not be as appealing as it started out or probably there could be a bigger effort necessary.

I didn't quite catch whether you are moving to the city permanently. If you are, you must take into account that Venus (L6=health and L7=your new location, maybe also L11 = career money) moves into Leo where it is combust. So all those things etc could be overwhelmed by the university.
That means your new life/health/potential love life/partner whatever you call it (L7) could be affected by (my guess is) being too busy working/studying/whatever you will be doing in the university.

PS You were saying smth about Saturn -I think it represents the trip (H3) you will/must make to the city. Moon separates from AL7 (the antiscion of Venus) which could be your new location then applies to Saturn, then applies to L1, then applies to your new job/career (Mercury). Maybe it's not a good idea to move Moon that far but it all happens within its current sign.

So my guess is Saturn represents the trip which connects you the new location/job. So I don't think it's some kind of a prohibition -- unless, of course, you decide not to go.

Or maybe your relatives will not be happy about it -- or maybe on the contrary they will help you.

I'm just flat out guessing here, of course, you know what's going on in your life.

Thanks for your comments!

pankajdubey - The company I'd be working for has a reputation for changing its objectives and firing staff on a regular basis. The working environment there is definitely "tricky" !

Algol on the 7th is not good. I hadn't noticed that!

Seiko - Yes, the university is nice and solid as you put it. Very positive atmosphere and helpful staff.

Yes I would be moving to live in/near London for the next 4 years.

Since L9 is also my study and the qualification I will work towards, probably I will just be working and studying too hard and that will take over my social life.

I can deal with working and studying too hard, I do that already :) It's more the living environment in London and the working environment at the company which concerns me. I definitely think that Mercury represents the company!

Which house would represent where I will live? Would that be 7th house? Or 4th house?

Keren

It's the 7th because you are moving. Venus will be combust but since we know what Sun represents it's not so bad. Job environment will get better before it gets worse so to speak (Mercury becoming Rx).

L1 moves into its Fall so in terms of environment it will be a downgrade but since Mars rules the Watry Triplicity (and will be in its own term at the beginning of the sign) you will be in your element as I said before. It's a bit like living in the swamp but in a nice house or something like that.

Well I have just accepted the offer, so we'll see how things turn out.

Maybe that's the significance of the Moon immediately perfecting her trine to the strongly essentially dignified Saturn - not really any other way this could have gone. I mean that although part of me doesn't want to do it, I know it's the "sensible" thing to do and I'm always a sucker for "sensible".

Seiko, it's interesting about Venus becoming combust too. She's already under the rays. We'll see what happens for me socially. Also about Mars being in mixed dignities - It sounds familiar (sigh).

PD - Algol on the 7th cusp, and London's burning! Thankfully I'll be living in a different area. It looks pretty bad though, apparently there have been riots in several different areas now. I hope this isn't the shape of things to come. But with Algol there, who knows... :(

Thanks for your help everyone. I guess that's it for now. I'll post back later on (next year maybe) and we'll see how the chart pans out. I hope it's just difficult rather than actively catastrophic.

Best wishes,

Keren

Hi all,

Just thought I'd post an update on the outcome of this chart. The course was very stressful from the first day and although my fellow students and the staff of the university were lovely, there was far too great a workload and I did not enjoy the subject enough to be able to continue. I lasted about 2 weeks before I quit (physical health problems manifesting as a result of extreme psychological pressure meant I had no choice - demonstrates L6 moving into Leo and becoming combusted by L9 as mentioned by Seiko ). In retrospect the chart is very clear that this was not the right thing for me to do, and also that I would be stubborn enough to try it anyway and ignore all the warning signs... Pankajdubey spotted Algol on the 7th which seems relevant!

Anyway that's another "outcome" updated for Skyscript so it's not all bad :D

Best wishes,
Keren

I can deal with working and studying too hard, I do that already
Interestingly enough, I couldn't deal with it with this job and also cannot deal with it anymore due to the ongoing health problems which, while not caused by the job specifically (just by too many years of working far too hard) were made a lot worse to the point where I now have been unable to work since quitting there. I would suspect this is shown in the chart in the shape of L1 in the 8th and about to enter his fall/triplicity. Being in mixed dignities that way seems a pretty good description of long-term illness - "comfortably damaged" perhaps. Also I'm now pondering the significance of that Jupiter sitting just inside the 6th cusp.

KH

Hello Keren

Although I didn't participate in this thread at the time I still appreciate your telling us about how things turned out.

I was sorry though to hear that your health problems were exacerbated, and I wanted to say that I hope things take a turn for the better for you soon.

Regards

handn