Navamsa as Marriage Chart?

There is a tradition that the navamsa can be used to describe the marriage partner or the quality of a native's relationships in general.

But does this really work? I have never had much luck with it.

As nearly as I can tell, this idea rests solely upon the Parasara text. This makes me suspicious because the collation of chapters in the earliest mss. bears only a marginal resemblance to the published versions which began to appear in the mid-19th century. In other words, the text appears to have been badly tampered with.

I get much better results from other methods of relationship compatibility assessment.

So... has anyone used the navamsa successfully as a relationship chart?

Re: Navamsa as Marriage Chart?

Kenneth Johnson wrote:There is a tradition that the navamsa can be used to describe the marriage partner or the quality of a native's relationships in general.

But does this really work? I have never had much luck with it.

As nearly as I can tell, this idea rests solely upon the Parasara text. This makes me suspicious because the collation of chapters in the earliest mss. bears only a marginal resemblance to the published versions which began to appear in the mid-19th century. In other words, the text appears to have been badly tampered with.

I get much better results from other methods of relationship compatibility assessment.

So... has anyone used the navamsa successfully as a relationship chart?
I am not sure if this is a tradition for book authors or salt of the earth jyotishis.
I have seen it used for direction of marriage(the sign in which 7th lord is placed in navamsha) and the year of marriage (Transit jupiter in trine from the sign occupied by the natal 7th lord in navamsha chart ).

Did not in work in my case- year after year but has worked in other nativities :)

Could you let us know how you have tried it.

PD

In general, Western jyotishis take the navamsa chart as a description or characterization of the marriage partner. I tried this on my own chart as well as on the charts of several close friends. It did not work in any of the cases. I never tried it with clients, since I only use techniques with paying clients that I have tested and found to be accurate.

Your comments on using the navamsa for timing of marriages is interesting. I have never come across this anywhere. Is this common practice in India, or is it something you learned from a particular teacher or family tradition?

In general, I use a number of other techniques when assessing relationships. I do use some of the kutas, but I do not resolve them into a numerical table. For one thing, the kutas and their numerical values are different in the various texts -- for example Kalaprakasika, Muhurtha Cintamani, and Prasna Marga. Also, many of them are specific to the philosophy of marriage in India, where arranged marriages are common and the goal of the relationship is, in accordance with the Laws of Manu, to produce children. Some of these values simply do not work with our complex Western relationships. I have found the Dina, Gana, Rasi, Yoni and Rajju kutas to be valuable in terms of Western relationships, though I assess them individually without assigning numerical values.

I also use a technique sometimes called the "Four Pillars," mentioned in Raman's "Muhurtha" and expanded upon by Hart deFouw and Robert Svoboda. But again, the nature of Western relationships sometimes demands a different approach, and I often take Western techniques of compatibility and simply convert them to the sidereal zodiac and whole-sign houses, which works quite well.

Finally, when it comes to Kuja Dosa, I have seen some authors who say that it should be calculated from Lagna, Moon and Venus. But to do it like that makes almost everyone end up with Kuja Dosa. I usually only calculate it from the Lagna (though it must be admitted that it is necessary to calculate from Candra Lagna in the case of unknown birth tmes). Some say that the effects are lessened after Mars reaches its maturity year and the native passes the age of 30. I have found this to be accurate.

Generally,the navamsha is used for predicting about marriage for an individual, its quality and timing etc(that too mostly by Southern astrologers)
The jupiter transit is generally used for timing.
Jupiter in 2nd,5th,7th ,9th and 11th sign from moon is considererd auspicious.

The navamsha rule , I think , I read in Phaladeepika by Mantrswara but I will have to check.

Then comes the compatibility testing.

Mainly it is done by the mars dosha and the numerical method or detailed individual analysis- all depending on how much the parties are inclined and affording.

The most common for Rs 11 or 51 (20 cents to a dollar)
Matching the numbers by the moons's nakshatra pada.
If they have a birth chart then that is used to see if there is Kuja Dosha in both or counteracting features in the other chart.
Two people and or families very eager may just want the score not to be too low and passable, whereas, others may want the full analysis.

The there is a group where you have to work out why there is no marriage or a delay in marriage.
Then the money becomes Rs 100 to Rs.1000 but that is more of an individual chart analysis.

If they are already married and things have gone wrong - then both charts are studied and charged accordingly.

Re: Hindu tradition and manu smriti- it is no different than anywhere else- marry into a rich family - the love and the rest will follow :)

If you see the Hindu marriage or any medieval marriage, they are real world realistic marriages.The social status, wealth, occupation, financial stability have all been worked out already.(and the Jyotishi's fee)

The only thing left to chance is love and if the two are starved enough it follows soon after or many times even before marriage :lala

PD

rohitkumar wrote:As I know about Nvamsa, Navamsa is the every detail of a person?s life that can be obtained by this Navamsha chart. A person can find out facts related to their educational, professional, and family life from this kundli, about his marriage and the thing nothing is hide from this.
Is I'm right?
No Rohit.
Actually, you need to first learn astrology from the same astrologer that you are promoting.
If you are that astrologer- well ! I do not know what to say :)